Random Matches You Are Going To...

Haitch

DCFC 1-0 MoCo 1776; Att: ~25

I saw a big groundhog on the way to this game, which was fitting as for the second year in a row I was heading to DCFC’s US Open Cup first qualifying round tie and for the second year in a row the kickoff time i’d seen online was wrong. An added thunderstorm delay meant that I couldn’t stay for much of this one but what I did see was decent enough entertainment. MoCo - from the Maryland suburbs of Washington - seem to have started the game with 10 men for some reason but gave a decent account of themselves.

I managed to do every round of the Scottish Cup in 14/15 and have been hoping to do every round of the US Open Cup since I moved here. The geography of the country, travel costs, midweek rounds and the local(ish) teams getting knocked out early each year have made it impossible so far but I live in hope for 2024. Interestingly, the first qualifier for next year’s edition was played before the final of the 2023 edition.

The game was played on the pitches next to the rusting skeleton of the old RFK Stadium. There’s talk of a new stadium being built on the site - the city seems more open to it now that the local NFL team have followed up getting rid of their racist nickname with getting rid of their scumbag owner - but in the meantime it’s a nice backdrop for games.

IMG_5894.thumb.jpeg.6c1f55304114511cee283efc20e7f156.jpeg

Edited by An Eejit Abroad

At the Linlithgow v Whitburn Centenary Cup Final.

Interesting to see Chvrches sponsoring the Whitburn top. Following in the fine tradition of bands sponsoring strips - Wet Wet Wet (Bankies), Mogwai (St Rochs PS) and Cosmic Rough Riders (Stoneyburn) are just a few examples which spring to mind.

Whitburn have raced into a two goal lead here midway through first half, but then the Chvrches have always done well on a Sunday.

IMG_8472.jpeg

19 hours ago, Oot N Obua said:

Heading to Munich at the end of October and Bayern play Darmstadt at home that weekend just wondering if anyone has been to Allianz Arena and how easy will it be too get 3 tickets together?

I've used Viagogo website for a game at Allianz, and also one at Dortmund. Worked fine enough although definitely pay over the odds! You can get 3 standing together just now for about GBP 150 each (which includes the booking fees)

FC Bayern Munich vs SV Darmstadt 98 Tickets Allianz Arena Munich | Fri 27 Oct 2023 - Viagogo

10 hours ago, The Holiday Song said:

I've used Viagogo website for a game at Allianz, and also one at Dortmund. Worked fine enough although definitely pay over the odds! You can get 3 standing together just now for about GBP 150 each (which includes the booking fees)

FC Bayern Munich vs SV Darmstadt 98 Tickets Allianz Arena Munich | Fri 27 Oct 2023 - Viagogo

Thanks for the recommendation I will try through official website see if any resales come up if not I will probably try viagogo. What is it like ordering if viagogo do they email tickets? Also what is the likelihood of them being fakes?

11 minutes ago, GuyIncognito said:

Preston North End vs Plymouth Argyle for me today. Should be a good game. Have been wanting to tick this one off for a while seeing as it’s fairly easy to get to for me, can’t wait.

Been to Deepdale a few times with Blackburn and I really like it. Got a similar feel to it as a Tynecastle or Easter Road. Generates a good atmosphere although Preston Blackburn is a local derby with a full away end so unsure what the atmosphere is like at a game like todays.  

2 minutes ago, CM. said:

Been to Deepdale a few times with Blackburn and I really like it. Got a similar feel to it as a Tynecastle or Easter Road. Generates a good atmosphere although Preston Blackburn is a local derby with a full away end so unsure what the atmosphere is like at a game like todays.  

Won’t be as busy as a derby but looking at ticket sales it was fairly full in all 3 home stands. Don’t think Plymouth will bring that many up but should still be around 16-17k there which should be more than enough to create a decent atmosphere.

First visit to The Walks for me this season. 

Kings Lynn Town v Aveley. FA Cup second Qualifying Round. 

Lynn have had a poor start to the season so far but f**k me, its like nobody's coming :o

21sH6IQ.jpeg

tJxiBKd.jpeg

Harthill Royal 0-3 Tranent

On our quest to complete the East Third we make the shortish trip to Harthill today for the South Challenge Cup round two match against Tranent of the Lowland League.

Harthill is Staunch, makes Larkhall look like Coatbridge, certainly in a football sense. Blue strip, Union flag, badge that looks a lot like Chelsea. The ground is basic but perfectly serviceable. Similar idea as Annan, in behind the goal and only that and one side is open.

Harthill were a credit to themselves and the 9th tier. Gave Tranent a good game and the visitors only started to pull away after Royal tired. The sort of game that has both teams fairly content at the outcome. A late penalty miss will mean some disappointment that the hosts couldn't get a goal that they probably deserved.

Gibbshill Park, nothing special, a lot better than Fort William. Worth going.

20230916_155147(0).jpg

20230916_144249.jpg

20230916_161717(0).jpg

Rothes v Lossiemouth. Highland League.

Mckessack Park is lovely. There was a definite scent of whisky in the air today.

Always imagined my first trip to a game here would result in me being invited into the boardroom to settle a longstanding argument about which is the greatest Speyside malt.

My choice, based on some very detailed sampling, would prove reasoned, but controversial, and I would then be smuggled out of town to escape the braying mob by the chairman’s daughter who would fall madly in love with me, bewitched as she would be by my hilarious yet fascinating tales of trips to exotic places like Nithsdale Wanderers and Lugar Boswell Thistle.

She would insist we immediately cashed in her significant holding of whisky company shares, emigrate to Islay on the next Calmac ferry and settle in a wee cottage overlooking the Singing Sands or Machir Bay.

Funny how life doesn’t work out as you dreamt it may. This game was abysmal. At least the sun shined.

1-0 Rothes FT.

IMG_8535.jpeg

IMG_8540.jpeg

IMG_8538.jpeg

12 minutes ago, Le Tout P'ti FC said:

Rothes v Lossiemouth. Highland League.

Mckessack Park is lovely. There was a definite scent of whisky in the air today.

Always imagined my first trip to a game here would result in me being invited into the boardroom to settle a longstanding argument about which is the greatest Speyside malt.

My choice, based on some very detailed sampling, would prove reasoned, but controversial, and I would then be smuggled out of town to escape the braying mob by the chairman’s daughter who would fall madly in love with me, bewitched as she would be by my hilarious yet fascinating tales of trips to exotic places like Nithsdale Wanderers and Lugar Boswell Thistle.

She would insist we immediately cashed in her significant holding of whisky company shares, emigrate to Islay on the next Calmac ferry and settle in a wee cottage overlooking the Singing Sands or Machir Bay.

Funny how life doesn’t work out as you dreamt it may. This game was abysmal. At least the sun shined.

1-0 Rothes FT.

IMG_8535.jpeg

IMG_8540.jpeg

IMG_8538.jpeg

The match reports I try to write and fail. Extraordinary work

At the SGS stadium for Glos County Lge: Stoke Gifford v Hanham Athletic. Got there late so progs were sold out, decent game with chances at both ends. 10 11 until the 85th when a 25-30 yard screamer clinches the points for Gifford. Ground part of the college campus - used to be Filton High School - my old stamping ground many years ago.20230916_1639002.thumb.jpg.a9b7880337755324df864cd674312ffb.jpg20230916_161012.thumb.jpg.37919025f2f8dc50ee5ab359c7f1761c.jpg

Kings Lynn Town 0-0 Aveley 

Just about the right result I feel. No the best game I've seen at The Walks. 

Big changes as Lynn over the summer leaves a team nowhere near as strong for this season. And it shows. 

No a big crowd either, I'd say around 650-700ish. Poor start to the season being blamed for this in the programme notes. 

image.thumb.jpeg.1c9a7d44ce8d14f2e21baac65c1abe52.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.f178312a747e8085dc15d5e5039148fe.jpegReally great day out at Deepdale today. Total support of 17500 including 3000 Argyle fans. Great atmosphere from both sets of fans, especially as the stands are quite closely packed together so the sound reverberates throughout the stadium. Preston started the game well and took the lead after 40 seconds then added another later in the first half. Plymouth always looked dangerous on the counter though, and they got a well deserved goal in the second half. However Preston dug deep to get the three points and go top of the league.

Peebles Rovers 1 Dunbar United 2

I hadn't been to Whitestone Park to see a game for years. They have a pie stall and a not bad pie so everything is great. 

I'm not sure the crowd at the next door egg chasing was much bigger than the crowd for the football but which sport gets all the Borders money spent on it....?

pb5.thumb.jpg.d32539f0b067059502acac5b203e4d86.jpg

pb19.thumb.jpg.7e2b6199ecd93dee4fb1455b148c1f8d.jpg

10 minutes ago, tamthebam said:

Peebles Rovers 1 Dunbar United 2

I hadn't been to Whitestone Park to see a game for years. They have a pie stall and a not bad pie so everything is great. 

I'm not sure the crowd at the next door egg chasing was much bigger than the crowd for the football but which sport gets all the Borders money spent on it....?

pb5.thumb.jpg.d32539f0b067059502acac5b203e4d86.jpg

pb19.thumb.jpg.7e2b6199ecd93dee4fb1455b148c1f8d.jpg

Being at football at Peebles while the Rugger is on next door is a strange experience. As you say, can definitely tell the preferred sport in the Borders. We didn't actually pay anyone to go to the game at Peebles, still not sure if we were meant to. Enclosing the park e.g. Thornton Hibs would be handy but, as you say, council priorities lie next door.