Random Matches You Are Going To...

Haitch

Albion Rovers 2-1 St Andrews United, Scottish Cup 2nd round, 28/10/23.

With Hearts and Clyde being too fucking Big Time to play on Saturday this week, I got myself along to Cliftonhill for the first time in a while and was rewarded with a good cup tie.

The visitors had the best chance in the goalless first half, passing up a one-on-one in a half Rovers shaded without creating much in.

Second half it came alive. Rovers took the lead with a well-taken goal by Joseph, and you thought this might knock the stuffing out of St Andrews. But they got level secen minutes later with a shot Connelly got a hand to and maybe should have kept out. Maybe I'm being harsh.

1-1 only lasted two minutes, as another well-worked goal, this time from McCaw, put Albion Rovers back in front.

They were then reduced to ten men as Reid was sent off stopping the visitors getting in behind. The resulting free-kick came back off the bar, and St Andrews had a good go at getting back into it, but never quite found the goal they needed. They went down to ten men themselves right at the death for a bit of dissent. Quite impressed by St Andrews right-back, Lorimer. Looks a tidy player. Good touch, athletic, good positioning. Interesting to see if he pops up elsewhere.

A good cup tie with incident and a good bit of needle in it. Well worth £11.

1a.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

Edited by DoingThe42

Another one at Dunbar United V East Fife today. Went with my East Fife supporting mate. Who's raging after an 'awful and embarrassing' Fifers performance. 

The visitors started better and were unlucky to not score in the first half. But apart from that I thought Dunbar deserved the win. They got the lead through a penalty and worked their socks off to keep the lead. 

£12 ticket and £2.50 programme. 

20231028_165226.jpg

20231028_161100.jpg

40 minutes ago, Sarto Mutiny said:

Was also at Dunbar United 1 East Fife 0. Was surprised how little there was between the teams, and in truth East Fife did not create too many chances to equalise. A well deserved win, and a truly magnificent pie as well!

20231028_143457.jpg

20231028_143513.jpg

Is it wrong that I absolutely love that bottom picture with teams on it? 

Tam's Road to Hampden continues:

Jeanfield Swifts 6 (Six) Elgin City 0 (nowt, nada, sod all)

Jeanfield play some lovely stuff at times- treat yourself and take a look at this team. 

Interestingly these days there isn't the fitness gap between lower Scottish League teams and Lowland League/East of Scotland teams. 

js1.thumb.jpg.cd41130273332da121512eb27da411f6.jpg

Celebrating the first goal. Even the dug looks fairly excited

js2.thumb.jpg.90eafd08a1b71bc98265c11a6b2dffa0.jpg

I think this was Number 3. ETA: naw, it was one of the second half goals, perhaps Number 6. This is why I'm not a professional... 

js3.thumb.jpg.6641ea6c286eff4d6532936ef999bf02.jpg

Elgin fans in the second half:

some were resigned, some were absolutely SEETHING 

Edited by tamthebam

4 hours ago, Andy groundhopper said:

Tam the Bam, are you doing every round to the Cup Final ? Ive managed to do the following cups all the way : youth cup/southern/isthmian/fa vase & trophy/ northern prem. The driving beyond me nowadays, too knackered.🏆 

I'm trying to Andy, with certain stipulations of my own.. 

Popped down to Easter Road tonight for the Hibernian v Ross County game. At £10 for a ticket. It would've been rude not to. But after about 43 minutes I was regretting this decision as the game up to that point was utterly dreadful! Both teams set up very defensively and the only notes of interest were a shot for each team which went wide. 

This was until Elie Youan cut inside on 44 minutes to shot on goal. The shot took a deflection and went past Ross Laidlaw in the County goal. This seemed to wake the crowd up as much as the teams. 

The second half started with Hibs a bit more ambitious in going forward. And they made it 2-0 on 54 minutes when they broke forward on the left with a ball to Jair Tavares. Who I thought should have passed it to Dylan Vente. But instead fired a right foot shot past the near post of Ross Laidlaw. There was a VAR check for offside,  bit this was dismissed and the goal awarded. 

Ross County were now showing more ambition as the game opened up a bit. And had a shout for a penalty. But the ball hit Hanlons hand after he played it of his foot. A corner was awarded. Ross County though soon got a goal back. A free kick was played into the box on 74 minutes and it hit of Delferriere and went in to the net. Ross County smelt blood and scored again on 82 minutes when Simon Murray crossed into Jordan White, who controlled the ball, turned and fired his shot into the roof of the net. Game on. Hibs reacted by trying to get up the pitch, but the play was to slow. It was Ross County who could and possibly should have won tge game. They forced Woolacott into two very good saves in the 90th minute. The game ended 2-2. A fair result. 

20231031_203120.jpg

20231031_194601.jpg

20231031_194910.jpg

Irvine Victoria 1-3 Lanark United 

We have had eyes on Irvine Vics for a while and given a favourable forecast it was Ayrshire for the second time in three weeks. Bother on the A77 meant we had already gone past the Synergy Arena and Rugby Park by the time we got to Irvine. 

This is proper fitbaw. Proper park, proper trains, proper lavvies and the pie hut opened at 5 to 2. The hosts sit second in the table, only behind the impressive Bellshill who we saw last month. Lanark find themselves in midtable and will be looking to push on up the table. Based on this performance that's exactly what they will do. Vics were poor, three goals at the end of the first half clinched it for Lanark in what was mostly a scrappy game. A consolation for the hosts did nothing but make the score line less one sided.

I do recommend Victoria Park. Good viewing from round the ground. Good tea and excellent train spotting. Vics beat Troon on that front, will need to wait till we've been to Dunbar before we decide the best.

20231104_150051.jpg

20231104_143825.jpg

Headed down to Newcastle today as there was a choice of several games on. Bit most were cancelled this morning which left me with two choices. Hebburn Town V Grimsby Borough or South Shields V Tamworth. I plumped for the National League North game at South Shields as it was a top of the table clash (I did stop of at Hebburn though and buy a programme) 

South Shields play about 20 minutes south of Newcastle City centre and Bede is the nearest metro stop. Ticket was £14 standing or £16 seated. Programmes £3. 

Tamworth were top before the start of the day with South Shields in 3rd. I expected a tight game and that's what the 2309 fans got in the first half as there was few chances. The home side had the best of these as a long ball found their Number 9, he beat the defence and rounded the keeper, but his shot hit the post and was hoofed clear by the Tamworth defence. Tamworth then controlled the rest of the first half but only really created half chances. The Teams went in at half time goalless. The second half started at a greater pace as South Shields forced the Tamworth keeping a good save seconds after the restart after Mongoy . The home side must have been given a rocket at half time because they were fired up at the start of the half. They took the lead on 58 minutes when number 7 sent in a deep cross from the right. Mongoy (who had a shocking first half) rose high and bulleted a header home to give Shields the lead. 

The match opened up as Tamworth went for an equaliser but only really created half chances as both the hime and away defence through themselves into every tackle and shot. South Shields managed to see the game out. An entertaining match with some good football and a very good atmosphere between the supporters if both teams. 

South Shields have a good set up and plenty of food and beer options with a fanzine inside the ground. 

20231104_141810.jpg

20231104_143722.jpg

WoSL4 - Glenvale 4 Campbeltown Pupils 1

For some strange reason this was being played at Barrfields in Largs, so I headed down from the Clyde Riviera to the diet Riviera. Attendance of around 18 depending on whether a dug counts or not.

With Glenvale chasing promotion at the top and Campbeltown in respectable lower midtable, a 'home' win was expected. The game was fairly even though until Glenvale broke through on their right hand side and squared it across for an easy finish. Indeed their general use of the ball in the final third was more deliberate and effective than the full-time professionals jobbing around for Morton in recent days. 

Campbeltown were then reduced to ten men for fouling a forward running on to a ball played over the top. The referee showed red - the Campbeltown official acting as linesman vocally contested the call. But the ten men fought back to equalise and went into the break level.

The second half started even too but Glenvale got the crucial breakthrough about ten minutes in, before soon adding another as the ten men of Campbeltown flagged. Glenvale also hit the post a few times so the scoreline could have been higher, but that would have been harsh on the away team IMO. While second best, they at no point looked out of their depth. 

£5 entry and overlooked the Barrfields catering for loaded crab chips from Fish Works on the sea front instead - which was a tremendous choice. 

IMG_20231104_132747.thumb.jpg.bae50da5fddcaf9911c02c067d26b413.jpg

Edited by vikingTON

Luncarty 0 v 1 Bo’ness Utd.

Took this game in as we play the winners in the next round. Bo’ness the better team and deserved their victory. Good crowd through from Bo’ness, it’ll be interesting to see how many they bring to Cappielow. 

IMG_0536.jpeg

IMG_0541.jpeg

IMG_0540.jpeg

3 minutes ago, virginton said:

WoSL4 - Glenvale 4 Campbeltown Pupils 1

For some strange reason this was being played at Barrfields in Largs, so I headed down from the Clyde Riviera to the diet Riviera. Attendance of around 18 depending on whether a dug counts or not.

Feagie Sports Centre is having work done & I assume Barrfields was the nearest available suitable plastic pitch.

Ed city 1 v montrose 5

First trip to here since it’s redevelopment and other than the long trips to Stranraer, Elgin and County felt like this was one we just had to tick off. I remember going to this stadium as a child and being amazed by the fact they had the big scoreboard (do not remember anything about the game though) Made a day off it by heading to the ballroom bar just around the corner from it to watch the Fulham game. After the sacking of Alan Maybury, new manager Michael Mcindoe lead Fc Edinburgh to their first win this season, closing the gap on second bottom Annan Athletic. 

So they would have been confident going into this weeks clash, but inside 19 minutes found themselves 2-0 down thanks to goals from Luke Graham and Kane Hester (unfortunately for the person who mentioned that Hester always scores against them, they were correct)

Edinburgh City found a way back due to an own goal after good work from Motherwell loanee Robbie Mahon. I only know who Mahon is due to the guy i was with being a well fan. Then the sort of turning point, Montrose were awarded a penalty which was saved by Mcadams, but the linesman deemed him to be off his line, despite his protestations a retake was ordered. My first was that he may have been, given the angle he dived out at, but i would have to see the replay. Gardyne tucked away the penalty. Then Thomson broke through the middle of the pitch, with the City players looking like they were running in treacle, he cooly lifted the ball over the keeper. I missed the 5th goal for Montrose as i was checking the Raith score. All in all, not as bad as i was expecting. The view isn’t great, especially if you are in the front row, there is that bannister there, but we could still see the action on all the pitch. The tannoy sounds like someone is whispering into it, but i have to say, all in all a good day. 

B530405C-5561-40F3-8B13-5E1AE8E61189.jpeg

8CFDD285-B3E3-4277-9A03-38E50024E0F3.jpeg

A4864758-62DA-4C8A-8F91-5241B5472EE5.jpeg

FD9C7947-8827-4F49-8C96-2EA2BDB834C2.jpeg

Edited by buchan30

9 hours ago, Autistisches Nilpferd said:

Irvine Victoria 1-3 Lanark United 

We have had eyes on Irvine Vics for a while and given a favourable forecast it was Ayrshire for the second time in three weeks. Bother on the A77 meant we had already gone past the Synergy Arena and Rugby Park by the time we got to Irvine. 

This is proper fitbaw. Proper park, proper trains, proper lavvies and the pie hut opened at 5 to 2. The hosts sit second in the table, only behind the impressive Bellshill who we saw last month. Lanark find themselves in midtable and will be looking to push on up the table. Based on this performance that's exactly what they will do. Vics were poor, three goals at the end of the first half clinched it for Lanark in what was mostly a scrappy game. A consolation for the hosts did nothing but make the score line less one sided.

I do recommend Victoria Park. Good viewing from round the ground. Good tea and excellent train spotting. Vics beat Troon on that front, will need to wait till we've been to Dunbar before we decide the best.

20231104_150051.jpg

20231104_143825.jpg

Being on the East Coast mainline there's a variety of trains pass Dunbar- ScotRail, LNER, Lumo etc and EWS goods trains 

I was at a game there once and a steam train came sprinting up the line... Five minutes after my camera battery had gone 🤬

Skonto Stadions

FK Auda 1 FK Tukums 0

Latvian Virsliga

€5

Decided to go for a change of scenery and visit a part of the world that has fascinated me for a while. Some good museums and historical buildings and a city I would definitely visit again.

As an aside the hall next to the ground held Eurovision in 2003.

20231105-142840.jpg

20231105-130800.jpg

20231105-130657.jpg

20231105-130613.jpg

Afc Wimbledon v Cheltenham in FA Cup “Round 1” on Saturday for me. Tenner for a ticket and think the attendance was around 5k.

Wimbledon, who have been on a pretty dismal run stretching for a season or 2 were far better than expected and 5-1 didn’t flatter. Lots of beer and food on the concourse around the ground. Impressed with the set up. Ramsgate at home in the next round is a perfect draw and *should* see them through to the big round 3, where prem teams join. 

34B93967-E864-45AB-9700-5E2F684CB3BB.jpeg

D2E845CB-A804-4984-851D-E0CBF65C5220.jpeg

Edited by bairn88

On 04/11/2023 at 18:59, atfccfc said:

Headed down to Newcastle today as there was a choice of several games on. Bit most were cancelled this morning which left me with two choices. Hebburn Town V Grimsby Borough or South Shields V Tamworth. I plumped for the National League North game at South Shields as it was a top of the table clash (I did stop of at Hebburn though and buy a programme) 

South Shields play about 20 minutes south of Newcastle City centre and Bede is the nearest metro stop. Ticket was £14 standing or £16 seated. Programmes £3. 

Tamworth were top before the start of the day with South Shields in 3rd. I expected a tight game and that's what the 2309 fans got in the first half as there was few chances. The home side had the best of these as a long ball found their Number 9, he beat the defence and rounded the keeper, but his shot hit the post and was hoofed clear by the Tamworth defence. Tamworth then controlled the rest of the first half but only really created half chances. The Teams went in at half time goalless. The second half started at a greater pace as South Shields forced the Tamworth keeping a good save seconds after the restart after Mongoy . The home side must have been given a rocket at half time because they were fired up at the start of the half. They took the lead on 58 minutes when number 7 sent in a deep cross from the right. Mongoy (who had a shocking first half) rose high and bulleted a header home to give Shields the lead. 

The match opened up as Tamworth went for an equaliser but only really created half chances as both the hime and away defence through themselves into every tackle and shot. South Shields managed to see the game out. An entertaining match with some good football and a very good atmosphere between the supporters if both teams. 

South Shields have a good set up and plenty of food and beer options with a fanzine inside the ground. 

20231104_141810.jpg

20231104_143722.jpgExcellent, spent 6-7 weeks in the Shields when I did the Northern League, first seeing the Mariner's at Peterlee and watched the club prosper. Hopefully any new owner will continue the good work and lead them into the EFL.