Random Matches You Are Going To...

Haitch

Tranent 0 - Forfar 1. Tranent were the better team in the 1st half, Forfar were no great shakes but settled the game in the 2nd half. Attendance probably around the 900 mark. £12 entrance fee, £3 for a Splendid doner meat pie.

20231125_150725.jpg

20231125_153021.jpg

20231125_154452.jpg

Spartans 2-1 Arbroath. Not the game I intended going to but a march in town meant I was not able to make Boroxburn game so I had to make do with 2nd visit to Ainslie Park in 7 days. Spartans better team from the moment they scored and should have won by more. Arbroath were surprisingly poor and it was hard to tell there was 2 divisions between the teams. 

IMG_9348.jpeg

IMG_9349.jpeg

Mill Farm stadium for AFC Fylde v Dorking Wanderers. Went to see Dorking Wanderers for the first time due to the Bunch of Amateurs YouTube documentary and went in the away end. 70-80 of them and sang non stop for the full 90. Game was live on TNT (BT) Sports with a 12 o'clock kick off. Early start for the Dorking fans, coach left at 5am! 

3-3 it finished and the game could have been 8 each but for awful finishing and good goalkeeping. Standard was poor, easily below Scottish championship but excellent entertainment. Brilliant game with 2 evenly matched teams. 

Cracking set up down at Fylde. They are sandwiched between Preston and Blackpool so fair play to their 800 or so core home support. Talking to the head Steward outside and we mentioned where we came from so we got a behind the scenes tour. Home and away changing rooms, good wee chat with some of the Fylde players. Had our Morton hats on and a wee bit of banter with Harry Davis and Luke Conlan, both ex St Mirren. Conlan still bitter about being punted back to Burnley whilst on loan, brilliant! Whole day from start to finish was tremendous, enjoyable league and another entertaining match. 

IMG20231125100200.jpg

IMG20231125100003.jpg

Screenshot_2023-11-25-23-00-09-45_965bbf4d18d205f782c6b8409c5773a4~2.jpg

Screenshot_2023-11-25-23-00-30-95_965bbf4d18d205f782c6b8409c5773a4~2.jpg

On 22/11/2023 at 21:56, GordonS said:

Hi, I have a stupid question and I thought the people who frequent this thread might give it better answers than it deserves.

If you wanted to be able to say you've been to every ground in the Midland League, do you think that would need to include Montrose Roselea's Broomfield Park?

I know it doesn't matter at all and it's just personal, which is why the question is stupid, but when I get to the point of completing a list my inner anorak has the urge to make sure it's been done right. If someone asked me the same question I would say no, Roselea's main ground is Links Park, but I've no idea if that's what others would think so I thought I'd ask here.

I went especially a few years ago when Roselea played at Broomfield and Montrose had a Scottish Cup tie at Links Park against Kelty just so I could tick the ground off. It was peeing down that day too..

Broomfield isn't a bad ground to be fair but you can see why they use Links Park. I was able to sneak into Links Park for the second half after the Roselea game too. 

cjs1.thumb.jpg.4a01ec0526d08a10b8d5667ea2f37016.jpg

cjs2.thumb.jpg.8da61fabbed75c34655dfcc495b4fc0c.jpg

Tam's Road To Hampden continued last night at a freezing New Douglas Park. Ian McCall got his tactics spot on as I thought Jeanfield would have ripped Clyde a new one. I now have to be a temporary Clyde fan.. who said this Road to Hampden thing was a good idea? 

all1.thumb.jpg.db4a75b3d6c4e7aa9456d88ab5607d15.jpg

Clyde playing on a Friday night meant as a bonus I went to Dunbar v Alloa. Another freezing day but New Countess Park had a bumper crowd. Alloa weren't great but did enough to beat their East of Scotland League opponents. 

17 hours ago, philpy said:

Tranent 0 - Forfar 1. Tranent were the better team in the 1st half, Forfar were no great shakes but settled the game in the 2nd half. Attendance probably around the 900 mark. £12 entrance fee, £3 for a Splendid doner meat pie.

20231125_150725.jpg

20231125_153021.jpg

20231125_154452.jpg

Also at Tranent 0 Forfar 1 (I've been a few times now so I dont know if it still counts as random). The home team should have been a couple of goals ahead in the first half, between wayward finishing, bad luck and good saves from Marc McCallum, they weren't. The second half was more even, and once Forfar scored from a set piece Tranent never really looked like equalising. 

IMG_20231125_150517_468.jpg

IMG_20231125_150517_649.jpg

20231125_145859.jpg

20231125_144805.jpg

Edited by Sarto Mutiny

22 minutes ago, Sarto Mutiny said:

Also at Tranent 0 Forfar 1 (I've been a few times now so I dont know if it still counts as random). The home team should have been a couple of goals ahead in the first half, between wayward finishing, bad luck and good saves from Marc McCallum, they weren't. The second half was more even, and once Forfar scored from a set piece Tranent never really looked like equalising. 

IMG_20231125_150517_468.jpg

IMG_20231125_150517_649.jpg

20231125_145859.jpg

20231125_144805.jpg

Got a bit niggly towards the end didn't it?? 😂

Milan 1-0 Fiorentina
Att: 73,074

Fiorentina should really have got something out of what was a very scrappy game. Francesco Camarda became the youngest player to ever play in Serie A when Milan brought him on during the second half. He was born in 2008…

I’d previously wondered why there was talk of Inter and Milan moving out of such an iconic stadium. I don’t wonder why now. I don’t think you could build a stadium which is less aimed at making the fan experience comfortable. A nightmare to get out of and a nightmare to get to a toilet. Fantastic atmosphere though and even more spectacular a building in person than it looks on tv. A great experience for a child of Football Italia.

IMG_6442.thumb.jpeg.54080a4bcd6e80ab6ab1232e2ec10d8c.jpeg

IMG_6432.thumb.jpeg.59ca5c855fca6e6190dd27d92426e05b.jpeg

Haven't posted a game report in a while but I thought I would after the advice I got on here.

Montrose Roselea 2-1 Tayport, Broomfield Park, Att maybe 50. £6 entry, good pie.

Tayport looked the better side early on, but Roselea's goal after about 20 minutes showed their deficiencies. The away side fought back with an equaliser only for Roselea to snatch the win with an 89th minute sucker-punch. Not the highest standard and the pitch was a wee bit bobbly, but good entertainment throughout and no quarter asked or given. Referee got it tight but he was a long, long way from the worst performer on the pitch.

I really like this ground with its four quirky wee stands dotted around and decent facilities, and it had me wondering why they maintain it while paying fees to play on Montrose's plastic. Anyone know why?

Also, why is the paintwork, corner flags etc green while the team play in blue? Did they change colour to be more Montrose-y?

20231125_132317.jpg

20231125_133435.jpg

20231125_142458.jpg

20231125_133557.jpg

After the Roselea game I went to Montrose 3-0 Edinburgh City, Scottish Cup tie, only missing the first 27 minutes and none of the goals. A one-sided game with little to grab the attention. I really like Links Park, especially its covered end terrace which provided shelter from a snell westerly wind. 

Attendance 423 and entry a spicy £17. 

20231125_160052.jpg

20231125_163632.jpg

20231125_164741.jpg

4 hours ago, GordonS said:

Also, why is the paintwork, corner flags etc green while the team play in blue? Did they change colour to be more Montrose-y?

20231125_132317.jpg

20231125_133435.jpg

20231125_142458.jpg

20231125_133557.jpg

I haven’t been there for a game in 15-20 years now, but I do remember they wore green that day. Quite a quirky ground with its setting on a disused air base! 

Penrith fc 2 Heaton Stannington 0

Had actually planned on going to see Kendal but as the train was going across the bridge at Central Station news came through about their postponement which left me looking for a plan B as the train was hurtling towards Carlisle. Fortunately, I did manage to find one.

Positives. good scran, nice facility. bar up the back of the main stand where you can watch the game. 

Negatives, on the very,very edge of the town. A 30 - 40 walk from the station which on a pleasant spring day might be good, not so much in the winter

zJ7Likf.jpg

iDLDKKS.jpg

RpYA35z.jpg

5xYx70b.jpg

and a bonus scran photo

19 hours ago, GordonS said:

Haven't posted a game report in a while but I thought I would after the advice I got on here.

Montrose Roselea 2-1 Tayport, Broomfield Park, Att maybe 50. £6 entry, good pie.

Tayport looked the better side early on, but Roselea's goal after about 20 minutes showed their deficiencies. The away side fought back with an equaliser only for Roselea to snatch the win with an 89th minute sucker-punch. Not the highest standard and the pitch was a wee bit bobbly, but good entertainment throughout and no quarter asked or given. Referee got it tight but he was a long, long way from the worst performer on the pitch.

I really like this ground with its four quirky wee stands dotted around and decent facilities, and it had me wondering why they maintain it while paying fees to play on Montrose's plastic. Anyone know why?

20231125_132317.jpg

20231125_133435.jpg

20231125_142458.jpg

20231125_133557.jpg

Yes, when they came under the "Montrose Community Trust" umbrella, they changed from their usual green, white and black colours to blue. Montrose, Roselea, Merpro and Montrose Amatuers all wear pretty much the same type of kit these days.

Atalanta 1-1 Sporting
Att: 14,865

Europa League tie in Bergamo. Both teams needed a draw to go through and after about an hour they decided that is what they were going to settle for. Decent enough game up until that point.

Great atmosphere despite one end of the stadium being closed for renovation. The curva was in full flow and the 750 Sporting fans stuck in a temporary stand also made plenty of noise. There were plenty of them in town too and the ones we chatted to were pleasant.

Bergamo is a lovely town and well worth a visit, even when hit with very Scottish weather as we were. Plenty of bars and restaurants and a great old town up the hill which you can reach by funicular. The Gewiss Stadium is also home to the best Burger King I’ve ever had - a fantastic Italian culinary experience. 
IMG_6562.thumb.jpeg.7bb48242b8f4bc74e53dddcc898ba23c.jpeg

Edited by An Eejit Abroad

Random Matches I Nearly Went To: Glasgow University P-P Wishaw

Thought this would’ve been a safe bet with the plastic pitch. I decided to ditch the car and get the train so I could get a beer, which is monumentally stupid at the best of times with Airdrie’s ground being so inaccessible via public transport. Lesson learned. Rocked up to the stadium and it was in complete darkness with 10 mins to kick off - checked Twitter and saw it was postponed at around half 7. Frustrating to say the least. 

Got a freebie for Motherwell v Dundee tomorrow so hopefully that survives. 

8 minutes ago, ScottR96 said:

Random Matches I Nearly Went To: Glasgow University P-P Wishaw

Thought this would’ve been a safe bet with the plastic pitch. I decided to ditch the car and get the train so I could get a beer, which is monumentally stupid at the best of times with Airdrie’s ground being so inaccessible via public transport. Lesson learned. Rocked up to the stadium and it was in complete darkness with 10 mins to kick off - checked Twitter and saw it was postponed at around half 7. Frustrating to say the least. 

Got a freebie for Motherwell v Dundee tomorrow so hopefully that survives. 

That’s appalling. There’s barely a game left on tomorrow, including artificial surfaces, yet your game was only called at kick off time. 

I’m in Inverness and was intending to head to Forres v Brechin but at least I know it’s off already. Doubtful I’ll pick up a replacement as it’s brutally cold tonight.