Random Matches You Are Going To...

Haitch

7 hours ago, Dan Electro said:

On the day that Motherwell win in Perth. Walk from Wimbledon town to Plough Lane is similar to Perth City to McDairmaid Park; bereft of pubs. So, the first image speaks for itself.

Thereafter, images of the ground, and, of the match. AFC Wimbledon deserved winners. Fantastic view, decent atmosphere, expected a little more, to be honest.

IMG_20240831_142336134_HDR.jpg

IMG_20240831_150727650_HDR.jpg

IMG_20240831_150730028_MFNR.jpg

IMG_20240831_150737694_HDR.jpg

IMG_20240831_153357858_MFNR.jpg

IMG_20240831_162949707_MFNR.jpg

IMG_20240831_165014681_HDR.jpg

There is a very decent real ale pub in a residential area between Wimbledon town and the ground, just a slight diversion needed. I went there before and it's a cracking place. 

20 hours ago, Groundhopping Adventures said:

Lochee United 4-0 Hawick Royal Albert

Scottish Cup weekend! A day out in the City of Discovery to one of the less obscure non league grounds. Thomson Park Lochee. 

The hosts are the early pacesetters in the Midland League. Hawick themselves off to a good start and are second in the East Third. Still however a long way from the Lowland League where they were as recently as 2018. 

Thomson Park is Lesmahagowesque but not on the same level. You come in at the top and the ground is a bowl. A fun set up with the changing rooms and only cover behind the goal. Not needed today. Splitting sunshine with no clouds but with a breeze to make it very pleasant. 

The visitors started well and only a stramash stopped them taking a surprise lead. The hosts however came into it and two quick goals towards the end of the first half killed it as a contest. Two more in the second half wrapped up a comfortable win and puts United in the 1st round proper as the FA Cup coverage always says. 

Well worth coming if you get a day like today. Maybe not the best in the Winter. Lochee will be up there at the top of the Midland League again and the Highland and Lowland teams that come in next round won't fancy the trip here.

20240831_161651.jpg

20240831_164420.jpg

20240831_160622.jpg

20240831_161532.jpg

20240831_142117.jpg

20240831_152704.jpg

Can confirm that. On a breezy cold winter's day it's not the most comfortable place to be. 😉

Glad you enjoyed yourself and welcome back any time. 👍

16 minutes ago, Marten said:

There is a very decent real ale pub in a residential area between Wimbledon town and the ground, just a slight diversion needed. I went there before and it's a cracking place. 

Brilliant, will investigate. Next, possibly Guildford or Farnborough Town. And, another trip to Maidstone, I guess, too.....

Dritte Liga, Hannover 96 II against SC Verl. 

H96‘s B team got promoted last year courtesy of winning the tier 4 Regionalliga Nord and then a play-off against Würzburg Kickers.

Normally they play in the 5000 capacity Eilenriedestadion at the H96 training complex. Due to the size of some of the clubs (& their traveling supports) in this years 3. Liga (Dynamo Dresden, Hansa Rostock amongst others) have been given approval to also use the main stadium. No idea why this game was held there. 2.000 people in a 49.000 capacity stadium. Had a bit of Corona feel to it.

As regards the game, it was eye-bleedingly awful. Verl and their travelling contingent more than deserving of the points.

As with most B-team games I‘ve seen in Germany (Hamburg, Bremen, Wolfsburg amongst others), the players have a very high level of fitness but not a lot of football skills.

Edited to add:- Whoever signed off on a TV deal which has Sunday night games @ 19:30 needs a slap.

IMG_8038.jpeg

IMG_8039.jpeg

IMG_8041.jpeg

Edited by German Jag

Lazio 2-2 AC Milan - Stadio Olimpico

Well at the weekend, I can safely say I ticked off a near lifelong ambition of mine. Attend an Italian football match. Now, I apologise for the following essay, but I've been itching to write about it for cathartic reasons.

I was born in 1993, and became fixated on football from a very young age. This meant my earliest memories of the beautiful game are from the late 90's/early 2000's and like many, I was captivated by Football Italia on Channel 4.

Growing up, we never had a lot of money. I lived beetween my Dad and my Mum's, the former a single parent while my Mum always worked fairly basic jobs making just enough to get by. So unlike a lot of kids I knew, I didn't get to go and watch my beloved team play much at all.  This also meant that access to cable TV was a rare commodity so access to football, live or not, on free TV was seized at every opportunity. There was just something about Serie A that captivated my young imagination. The noise and colour of the stadiums, the distinguishing kits of the Italian teams, not to mention the quality of player in the league. It seemed magical to me.

My footballing hero outwith HMFC was Ronaldo, and I loved watching clips of him. As such, I grew to cheer on Internazionale whenever they were on the screen. My Uncle even bought me an Inter shirt and training jacket, shortly before his passing, which I loved to wear.

Then, sadly, Football Italia seemed to just vanish. But I still loved to watch the Italian teams whenever there was European football on, and I would often find myself going Italian sides on FIFA, PES or Champ Man whenever i played them.

Fast forward to the late 2000's, when as a teenager i got my first job washing dishes in an Italian restaurant. The family I worked with were a mix of Roma and Lazio fans and through their Italian satellite dish, they'd have live Serie A on at every opportunity. Man, I loved that job. And I loved hearing them talk football. Of course, I couldn't understand what they were saying but I knew it was football talk and their passion for the game stayed with me. I then recall Inter's Champions League win in 2010. I loved watching that Inter side and it was probably the only time I've ever felt delighted for the winning team in a Champions League final.

I've continued to follow Serie A closely throughout my life since then and watch as much as I can, but alas, despite my taste for travelling, Italy just always somehow escaped me. So when me and the missus booked to go to Rome, as much as I was looking forward just to visiting the country, I of course was secretly planning a trip to a match.

Now, with all due respect to Lazio, I probably would've handpicked Roma to be the team out of the 2 to go and watch. But when the fixtures scheduled AC Milan visiting the Biancocelesti, it was almost a dream in its own right. I didn't really care who was playing, I was just happy to go, but to see 2 Italian heavyweights go at it in the flesh? Well it was like I was living in my very own episode of Football Italia.

On Saturday, before the match I stumbled upon the Lazio club shop near the Spanish Steps and bought myself a couple of shirts. Quick stop back at the hotel then off we headed on a blistering Rome evening to Ponte Milvio. The place was packed as bars and cafes around the main street spilled out Lazio fans everywhere with a sprinkling of Milan fans for a good mix. Everyone in high spirits it seemed.

Then onto the stadium. The colossal Stadio Olimpico lighting my eyes up inside and out. As kick off approached, I really started to drink it all in. The packed Curva Nord opposite me, a sea of colour. The travelling AC Milan fans beside me, a wall of noise. Even before the touching Sven Goran Eriksson tribute, I found myself feeling almost emotional at my surroundings as my internal monologue described what was about to unfold, in the voice of the late Peter Brackley.

The match itself was fun. Not the best game I've watched, but a tense spectacle with 4 goals shared. But the football didn't really matter. I was there. My Football Italia pilgrimage which started over 25 years ago was complete. Well, I say complete but it's just making me itch for more. Hopefully next time, I'll be at the great San Siro where I can fall in love and feel like a child all over again.

Messenger_creation_9B2C5B20-8087-490C-A491-94F0F15C8408.jpeg

Messenger_creation_BDA13AC5-9CF2-487F-B651-28E88EA3A3EC.jpeg

Messenger_creation_6384A002-75CB-4E8A-9750-76F0A87E2A0F.jpeg

4 minutes ago, Connor1874 said:

Well at the weekend, I can safely say I ticked off a near lifelong ambition of mine. Attend an Italian football match. Now, I apologise for the following essay, but I've been itching to write about it for cathartic reasons.

I was born in 1993, and became fixated on football from a very young age. This meant my earliest memories of the beautiful game are from the late 90's/early 2000's and like many, I was captivated by Football Italia on Channel 4.

Growing up, we never had a lot of money. I lived beetween my Dad and my Mum's, the former a single parent while my Mum always worked fairly basic jobs making just enough to get by. So unlike a lot of kids I knew, I didn't get to go and watch my beloved team play much at all.  This also meant that access to cable TV was a rare commodity so access to football, live or not, on free TV was seized at every opportunity. There was just something about Serie A that captivated my young imagination. The noise and colour of the stadiums, the distinguishing kits of the Italian teams, not to mention the quality of player in the league. It seemed magical to me.

My footballing hero outwith HMFC was Ronaldo, and I loved watching clips of him. As such, I grew to cheer on Internazionale whenever they were on the screen. My Uncle even bought me an Inter shirt and training jacket, shortly before his passing, which I loved to wear.

Then, sadly, Football Italia seemed to just vanish. But I still loved to watch the Italian teams whenever there was European football on, and I would often find myself going Italian sides on FIFA, PES or Champ Man whenever i played them.

Fast forward to the late 2000's, when as a teenager i got my first job washing dishes in an Italian restaurant. The family I worked with were a mix of Roma and Lazio fans and through their Italian satellite dish, they'd have live Serie A on at every opportunity. Man, I loved that job. And I loved hearing them talk football. Of course, I couldn't understand what they were saying but I knew it was football talk and their passion for the game stayed with me. I then recall Inter's Champions League win in 2010. I loved watching that Inter side and it was probably the only time I've ever felt delighted for the winning team in a Champions League final.

I've continued to follow Serie A closely throughout my life since then and watch as much as I can, but alas, despite my taste for travelling, Italy just always somehow escaped me. So when me and the missus booked to go to Rome, as much as I was looking forward just to visiting the country, I of course was secretly planning a trip to a match.

Now, with all due respect to Lazio, I probably would've handpicked Roma to be the team out of the 2 to go and watch. But when the fixtures scheduled AC Milan visiting the Biancocelesti, it was almost a dream in its own right. I didn't really care who was playing, I was just happy to go, but to see 2 Italian heavyweights go at it in the flesh? Well it was like I was living in my very own episode of Football Italia.

On Saturday, before the match I stumbled upon the Lazio club shop near the Spanish Steps and bought myself a couple of shirts. Quick stop back at the hotel then off we headed on a blistering Rome evening to Ponte Milvio. The place was packed as bars and cafes around the main street spilled out Lazio fans everywhere with a sprinkling of Milan fans for a good mix. Everyone in high spirits it seemed.

Then onto the stadium. The colossal Stadio Olimpico lighting my eyes up inside and out. As kick off approached, I really started to drink it all in. The packed Curva Nord opposite me, a sea of colour. The travelling AC Milan fans beside me, a wall of noise. Even before the touching Sven Goran Eriksson tribute, I found myself feeling almost emotional at my surroundings as my internal monologue described what was about to unfold, in the voice of the late Peter Brackley.

The match itself was fun. Not the best game I've watched, but a tense spectacle with 4 goals shared. But the football didn't really matter. I was there. My Football Italia pilgrimage which started over 25 years ago was complete. Well, I say complete but it's just making me itch for more. Hopefully next time, I'll be at the great San Siro where I can fall in love and feel like a child all over again.

Magic! I’ve never made it to a game in Italy and I’m insanely jealous. In your picture, I go right back in my mind to Italia’90 or a VHS I had which might as well have been called “spectacular Serie A goals scored from ludicrous distances played in grounds which look like spaceships”.

It’s on the list. A long list, but a game in Rome or Milan is high up there.

I’m thrilled reading the excitement you took from your trip. 

1 hour ago, Le Tout P'ti FC said:

Magic! I’ve never made it to a game in Italy and I’m insanely jealous. In your picture, I go right back in my mind to Italia’90 or a VHS I had which might as well have been called “spectacular Serie A goals scored from ludicrous distances played in grounds which look like spaceships”.

It’s on the list. A long list, but a game in Rome or Milan is high up there.

I’m thrilled reading the excitement you took from your trip. 

Thank you mate. You have to do it for sure. An experience that meant so much to me and meant more than just a game.

Newtongrange Star 4 Thornton Hibs 0.

This year’s Star look pretty decent to me. Their second goal tonight is worth looking out for on Sportscene later.

Star ultimately pulled away although Thornton will rue their missed penalty in the first half.

I’m told that’s the midweek fixtures in the East more or less done now, bar a couple of rounds of Premier League games. That’s disappointing news for those of us who can’t sit still in the house for five minutes!

IMG_2436.jpeg

IMG_2437.jpeg

IMG_2438.jpeg

Didn’t take many photos but Burntisland Shipyard 1-3 West Calder for me the other night. Burntisland rallied after finding themselves 2-0 down - with another disallowed - in the opening 10 minutes, though it wasn’t to be. 

IMG_3581.jpeg

IMG_3580.jpeg

Edited by PSJ.84

16 hours ago, PSJ.84 said:

Didn’t take many photos but Burntisland Shipyard 1-3 West Calder for me the other night. Burntisland rallied after finding themselves 2-0 down - with another disallowed - in the opening 10 minutes, though it wasn’t to be. 

IMG_3581.jpeg

IMG_3580.jpeg

I once saw an Edinburgh City defender hit the roof of one of those houses with a clearance... 

On 04/09/2024 at 19:03, Connor1874 said:

I felt that.

I had a similar quasi-religious response to Football Italia. Coincidentally, the first match they broadcast was a score draw involving Lazio, 3-3 at Sampdoria. It wasn't like watching football from a different country, compared with the Scottish Premier League it was like watching a different sport. Having been to Genoa and Turin for the World Cup three years earlier and already being a stadium nerd with a couple of Simon Inglis' books Italy seemed like the natural spiritual home of European football.

I've since been to the San Siro a couple of times, it's more than a stadium, it's a modern Coliseum. 

I'll never feel the same about any other league, Seviila, Betis and Valencia will never mean to me what Lazio, Sampdoria and Bari do. It's just... special.

Thanks for the long post and hope you get to the San Siro soon.

Going to the Man U v Celtic Legends game tomorrow.

Where's best for free or reasonably priced parking nearby? 

4 hours ago, ATFC said:

Going to the Man U v Celtic Legends game tomorrow.

Where's best for free or reasonably priced parking nearby? 

I went to Manchester for football during the 2012 Olympics and discovered that the Council there were bigger b*****ds regarding parking than Edinburgh! 

So the answer is Oldham...

.. I'll presume there must be some kind of park and ride in Manchester given United are sort of a big deal. 

8 minutes ago, tamthebam said:

I went to Manchester for football during the 2012 Olympics and discovered that the Council there were bigger b*****ds regarding parking than Edinburgh! 

So the answer is Oldham...

.. I'll presume there must be some kind of park and ride in Manchester given United are sort of a big deal. 

You weren't far wrong with Oldham.

Park on the outskirts and use the Metrolink.

Manchester Metrolink | Britain Visitor Blog

ETA the frequency of trams from the centre to Old Trafford aren't as many as other lines.

Get off at Media City and cross the footbridge, just an extra couple of minutes.

Edited by Zen Archer (Raconteur)

Cheers folks. It remains the only city I've ever had a ticket in. Should probably just have got the train. 

Curzon Ashton visit The Walks today. So do :)

Screenshot_20240907_144752_Chrome.thumb.jpg.b80f5bb9b90bd894a4226a29994432b5.jpg

Couldn't be more closely matched. Looking forward to this. 

:)

Ppz6fLv.jpeg

vpmJzYu.jpeg

Edited by Trackdaybob