Worst Town/area In Scotland

MTJ

Personally, I don't like Glasgow. The city itself is fine but I just don't understand the mentality and the way so many of them seem to feel they have so much to prove to people. Most of the Glaswegians I know spend most of their time telling me how many people they battered at the weekend. I just don't get it.

Personally, I don't like Glasgow. The city itself is fine but I just don't understand the mentality and the way so many of them seem to feel they have so much to prove to people. Most of the Glaswegians I know spend most of their time telling me how many people they battered at the weekend. I just don't get it.

You obviously move in the higher class social circles. They probably had a bad trifle at a Kelvinside dinner party.

You obviously move in the higher class social circles. They probably had a bad trifle at a Kelvinside dinner party.

One of them is a gambling addict and a compulsive liar so I can understand it from him.

I don't unerstand it from a guy that I play fives with though. Perfectly respectable guy with a perfectly respectable job but the minute you're in the pub with him he's on about some time when he got a team down to some pub to shoot some c**t who was giving him shite.

Maybe it's his way of saying "i'm shyte at football but i'm still harder than you". I don't know. But I don't believe him, he knows I don't believe him, so what's the point? The least dangerous guy in the pub is always the one who bams off about what he's done to folk.

I don't mean to tar them all with the same brush. I'm sure there are plenty sensible Glaswegians who don't view every conversation as a cock-measuring contest. I've just yet to meet one.

One of them is a gambling addict and a compulsive liar so I can understand it from him.

I don't unerstand it from a guy that I play fives with though. Perfectly respectable guy with a perfectly respectable job but the minute you're in the pub with him he's on about some time when he got a team down to some pub to shoot some c**t who was giving him shite.

Maybe it's his way of saying "i'm shyte at football but i'm still harder than you". I don't know. But I don't believe him, he knows I don't believe him, so what's the point? The least dangerous guy in the pub is always the one who bams off about what he's done to folk.

I don't mean to tar them all with the same brush. I'm sure there are plenty sensible Glaswegians who don't view every conversation as a cock-measuring contest. I've just yet to meet one.

Glasgow is full of sadacts who think they're gangsters/hardmen, so don't be surprised about that.

Edited by MTJ

:angry: Explain that one to me

Its a grey mess of a place, I used to get taken to that park with the putting green, trampolines and bicycle track thing when I was a young kid, thought it was brilliant. A while back I returned with a relatives young kids, the town is a run down miserable hell hole full of neds and degenerates. Was any of it not built on the cheap in the 60's and 70's?

Motherwel has went downhill over the last twenty years especially if you compare it to Hamilton.I remember both towns being quite similar when the Craig was open.

I'm reliably informed (well, by my maw) that Motherwell town centre was pretty good for shopping until the mid 80s or so. I recall it being a shithole for as long as I can remember though, which is going back to around 1990.

The town centre reminds me of Coatbridge in the late 80s.

Hamilton has always been that bit nicer then the other Lanarkshire towns, but the town centre has hit the skids in recent years, no doubt as a result of the East Kilbride centre expansion.

Bizzarely, folk from EK always used to moan that Hamilton got far more investment from SLC.

I feel I have to stick up for Coatbridge too. Aye, the town centre is a bit shite, but who would drink, eat or shop there when there are 6 trains an hour to Glasgow over two lines, with a journey as short as 20 mins?

The rest of the town has come on leaps and bounds from the pockmarked post-industrial hole of 20 years ago.

Edited by wearealldoomed

Guest Ally's honest man

Having read through this thread there is a common denominator in the list of shit holes

The three towns (stevenston, saltcoats, ardrossan) - ICI plant shut with 1000's of redundancies

East Ayrshire - the death of mining - communities ruined

Glasgow's shipbuilding

Motherwell & area - Death of steel mills

What do we have in their place? A few call centres and jobs in everything a pound shops.

Dont know much of the east coast but i can guess the same is apparent over there.

Mass unemployment and very little disposable income leads to the degeneration of communites and areas.

I have depressed myself enough I am going back to work now to pay for my sky + and my two cars.

To people that have said Larkhall: Have you actually been before or are you just going by reputation?

Yes, I have visited.

It's certainly not the worst place in Scotland, but it is thoroughly depressing, as are most towns of this size in central/western Scotland, in fairness.

I'd sooner live in Motherwell, Wishaw, Airdrie or, God forbid, Bellshill before I'd consider Larkhall.

Edited by wearealldoomed

Yes, I have visited.

It's certainly not the worst place in Scotland, but it is thoroughly depressing, as are most towns of this size in central/western Scotland, in fairness.

I'd sooner live in Motherwell, Wishaw, Airdrie or, God forbid, Bellshill before I'd consider Larkhall.

Thats a bit harsh on Larkhall, wishaw is a stinkhole

Thats a bit harsh on Larkhall, wishaw is a stinkhole

Wishaw: A slightly skankier Airdrie.

Larkhall: A slightly skankier Shotts.

Besides, each trip to the Butcher's is like a game of Russian Roulette in Wishaw, which keeps things lively.

That's one for the younger posters to look up, byraway.

Motherwell

Bellshill

Viewpark

Bothwell

Fairhill

Hillhouse

"West Crindledyke"

Kirkfieldbank

Gorgie

Dalmarnock

Bridgeton

Pollokshields

Crosshill

Croftfoot

Castlemilk

Blantyre

Cathkin

Forth

Jerviston

Carfin

Cleland

New Stevenston

:o gorgie is like beverly hills compared to murderwell

i would say the strathclyde area especially glasgows outskirts are the worst places in europe

• 5 months later...