Snooker

RedWeb

Managed to see the final session of the final - gutted that I slept in and missed the 147! But what a comeback again from John Higgins. Must be so demoralising for an opponent to be so far in the lead and watch him just get stronger as the match goes on and come back to steal the victory. He's produced the best comebacks I've ever seen, amazing victory and ranking title no 25.

Shout for best snooker player ever yet? ;)

He's not even Scotland's best ever player.

Managed to see the final session of the final - gutted that I slept in and missed the 147! But what a comeback again from John Higgins. Must be so demoralising for an opponent to be so far in the lead and watch him just get stronger as the match goes on and come back to steal the victory. He's produced the best comebacks I've ever seen, amazing victory and ranking title no 25.

Shout for best snooker player ever yet? ;)

I don't think its as crazy a suggestion as some might think. I (like most) would say Hendry is still above him, but he's certainly got a case for second best player ever. His all round game is utterly breathtaking when he's on form. Given this was his first ranking tournament this season (coupled with the fact he is either amazing for a full year or off form all year) I would expect him to win quite a few more tournaments this year.

He's not even Scotland's best ever player.

He's not Scotland's most successful player but he's right up there in ability. It's also debatable but I think Higgins has achieved his results against a stronger pool of players than Hendry did. And I say this with Stephen Hendry still my favourite sportsman ever.

And Higgins isn't finished yet.

• 2 months later...

Anyone else watching the UK final. Not a fan of either Murphy or Selby but have the barca game on as well as this. Decent final and not being at all bothered who wins makes it a good watch. Looks like its going to be a close one with both missing simple pots.

Sadly with Williams looking well past it and Ronnie and Hendry gone all thats really left of the ones who i dont want to see get thrashed is Higgins and dont like the shorter frames in the UK Championship. The better matches are the ones over a greater distance.

I'm watching, but similarly don't like either player particularly. I'd rather see Murphy win out of the two. Murphy made a cracking break to win the first frame tonight but it's not been "vintage" snooker since. I have to admit I haven't seen as much of the tournament as usual this year, just haven't got round to it.

Watched all of it, it was much better in the first two rounds. Some quality snooker from Stevens and Robertson, I thought either of them would win it. Selby somehow got over the line but I'd have rather seen Murphy win it than him. Was pleased to see Mark Davis get a run too.

Would rather have had Davis win it than most of the other. Carter followed the same plan he used against Ronnie in the WC Final of being incredibly negative towards the end so delighted he got beat. If Brecel can remain entertaining without gaining the arrogance of Trump and Allen (as well as the smoke the BBC blow up both their asses) then he might be one to actually want to see at tournaments over the next few years but with the need of new characters in the game it probably wont happen.

Mark Allen is hardly the top player he himself would have you believe. He considers himself along with Trump to be the future of snooker and thinks between the two of them they'll dominate. I think Allen is actually caught in between two generations of players who'll better him for most of his career in that guys like Robertson, Selby, Murphy, Maguire and Ding are all better than him and currently in their prime, with players like Trump and soon Brecel, White and Lisowski coming to the fore.

He'll be lucky to win a handful of minor ranking events IMO.

Cannot watch Ding because if Dennis Taylor gets the commentator role i feel physically sick. Its bordering on perverted how excited Taylor gets about Ding.

Agree about Allen but he is trying, and so are others, to build him up as the next big name. I dont think he will be as if youre going to be that arrogant you have to match it on the table. Alex Higgins and Ronnie had the arrogance and came across as tossers at times but they were entertaining both on and off the table and folk found that endearing. The audience seem uninterested in what he has to say and not that fussed at watching him on it.

• 2 months later...

Anyone watching the Welsh Open? I find it very hard to watch when either Judd Trump is playing or Willie Thorne is commentating. Today we have both in one match. Sickening fawning over one player, this guys is the new O'Sullivan who can do no wrong.

f**k you, Willie Thorne.

Anyone watching the Welsh Open? I find it very hard to watch when either Judd Trump is playing or Willie Thorne is commentating. Today we have both in one match. Sickening fawning over one player, this guys is the new O'Sullivan who can do no wrong.

f**k you, Willie Thorne.

Yeah Ive been watching it. I really wanted Advani to knock him out (in a snooker way, not physically) its looking unlikely now though. :(

It's just really annoying that you have that smug c**t Thorne talking down to Advani when he misses a shot like 'ooh, that's caaareless, really caaareless' but if Trump makes an arse of it he sounds gutted and comes out with some excuse like 'oh well he must have had a kick' or the worst one 'well actually it's not his fault he's out of position, he must have had a massive bounce off the cushion'.

Terrible commentary, I'd prefer to listen to it without but it's not the same without hearing that beautiful click of the ball (fnarr).

Coverage pissed me off this evening.

I'm off work for a while so I watched the whole afternoon session between Trump and Advani.

I thought about watching the evening sessions live on Eurosport but thought "sod it I'll watch a film then watch the highlights later".

Watched the highlights... all they showed was the Trump match again, no coverage whatsoever of the two evening games.

I understand not everybody is off work and might have wanted to watch it, but surely they could've at least have shown brief highlights of the other games?

I've nothing against Trump, but it's annoying how the BBC seem to think (like they did when that p***k O'Sullivan played) that nobody could possibly be interested in any matches not involving him.