Snooker

RedWeb

56 minutes ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

Fair play, he's been the best player in the tournament. Still hope he loses. Both semis look to be boringly one-sided.

In what way are they one-sided in anything but experience? Hawkins and Wilson absolutely cigared past 2 of the most in form players in the tournament in their respective quarters. I think the tournament is greatly poised at the moment. Would happy to see the winner of the Wilson-Higgins match go on to lift the trophy.

I don't think Wilson is ready, yet, to compete with Higgins on this kind of form. Hawkins won't play that well again as I haven't bet on Williams.

I hope I'm wrong but I see Williams winning comfortably by five or six frames and Higgins winning with a session to spare.

3 minutes ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

I don't think Wilson is ready, yet, to compete with Higgins on this kind of form. Hawkins won't play that well again as I haven't bet on Williams.

I hope I'm wrong but I see Williams winning comfortably by five or six frames and Higgins winning with a session to spare.

I don't see either of those outcomes myself. Hawkins is very, very consistent in this event and will probably get over the line if he keeps making it to the last 4 with this kind of regularity. 

As for Wilson, I disagree with that - I think he is ready. He has the game, he's had the big match experience, he has the temperament. I think he's a class act on the verge of being one of the top 5 or  6 players in the world and he's only 26. He might still lose to Higgins and there's no shame in that but I think this is going to be by far the closer of the semis. He's everything that Trump should have been and will eclipse him in due time IMO.

I want Williams to win it, expect Higgins to win it, dread Hawkins winning and Wilson, well, grow a decent beard and then I'll care. I certainly wouldn't count out Hawkins who seems poised to be the sort of non-entity who wins it in a year when all the top seeds are out early.

I don't mind being wrong. I've said all along I want a new Champion. Just think the other two have been there and done it and won't be phased by anything.

That being said, you've psyched me into betting on a double of less than 26 frames in Higgins match and Williams to win by more than 3.5 frames.

You know what happens when I bet against Hawkins...

It's also pleasing that all the utter fannies have now been eliminated and I can happily applaud any winner from here.

Also here's the main stage prize money for this year:

• Winner: £425,000
  • Runner-up: £180,000
  • Semifinal: £85,000
  • Quarterfinal: £42,500
  • Last 16: £27,500
  • Last 32: £18,000

Not bad. Big ranking points for all the semi finalists. Except maybe Higgins since he was runner up last year. 

Higgins' experience will tell against Wilson. Wilson's win over Allen is impressive until it's remembered that Allen is a bottler who often folds in such circumstances as today (I feel his Masters win will be a false dawn in his overall average career). 

Hawkins v Williams I think will be much closer but hopefully Williams will come through.  Hawkins really pisses me off. He has the game for the Crucible, hence his very good record, but whereas Higgins and Williams will go for the percentage shots, Hawkins likes to run for cover and play it safe. Plus he crapped himself in the two finals he played in. 

Would love to see a Higgins v Williams final with Williams winning. 

I was made up for Higgins last night. He showed his mettle. Trump just looked like a wee boy sat in the corner with no answer at the end. 

I think we've got two good semi finals to look forward to now. It's looking like the weather this weekend is going to be pretty good so it's going to be hard to stay in and watch it all :( 

The timing of going up gears at 11-9 from John Higgins was exceptional, as was his shot making at this stage. Fantastic match, best of the tournament yet.

I've always found myself favouring John Higgins throughout his career, but any of the 4 winning this would be a great story. I think if Kyren Wilson can win the tournament he'll start picking up major titles regularly, he's the most complete of all the players establishing themselves, he's got everything. I hope he wins it this year.

Edited by ShaggysBeard

47 minutes ago, microdave said:

I'm hoping for a Higgins-Williams final if only for nostalgic reasons. Am i right in thinking that if Higgins wins, he'll be the first to win a title 20 years after his first win?

Absolutely, no-one would really come close. Ray Reardon and Steve Davis' titles was 8 years between first and last. Stephen Hendry's was 9 years between first and last. Alex Higgins 10 years between first and last. Ronnie 0'Sullivan is 12 years between first and most recent.

Worth pointing out that it's a record Higgins already holds at 13 years between his first and most recent anyway and if Mark Williams wins that record will stretch to 18 years.

Even Joe Davis' 15 World titles (then on a challenge basis so that should be disregarded) were within a 19 year period. The other ones similar John Pulman 11 years between first and last and Fred Davis was 8 years between first and last. Not usually considered in records due to the challenge based World Championship.

Statto. :geek

Worthy of a good bullying.

Edited by ShaggysBeard

A few wee rules questions.

If you nominate a colour, hit that ball first but miss it and inadvertantly pot another one in the process, what’s the script?

Is there a difference between if there are a few colours in the vicinity where you actually say out loud what colour you’re going for and, say, an obvious pot eg, a straight black where no verbal shout is needed?

What happens of you pot 2 (or more) colours in one shot?

A few wee rules questions.

If you nominate a colour, hit that ball first but miss it and inadvertantly pot another one in the process, what’s the script?

Is there a difference between if there are a few colours in the vicinity where you actually say out loud what colour you’re going for and, say, an obvious pot eg, a straight black where no verbal shout is needed?

What happens of you pot 2 (or more) colours in one shot?
Foul, foul, foul.

You have to pot the colour you are clearly going for.

Any doubt and you have to nominate, and can only pot that one.

Cheers. [emoji1303]

Still a foul if you pot your nominated ball first then another one goes in, aye?

30 minutes ago, H Wragg said:

Cheers. emoji1303.png

Still a foul if you pot your nominated ball first then another one goes in, aye?

Yes. You can pot multiple reds in one shot but only your nominated colour when you're on the colours. If you're on a colour and anything other than your nominated ball drops that is a foul.

Edited by GiGi