Israel And The Palestinians (now with added Iran/Lebanon)

xbl

41 minutes ago, TxRover said:

No. The current IDF action is simply ensuring another cycle of violence by effectively recruiting the next generation of Hamas.

I can't imagine that the current generation of kids, traumatised by seeing their home razed to the ground and innocent friends/family slaughtered, will grow up to be anything other than well-adjusted and entirely subservient to Israel.

Anyone know which areas are most likely to be used for transplanted settlers?

Benny Gantz resigning from the coalition government. Apparently he’s a moderate centrist so that should increase the influence of the more right wing ministers who don’t want a ceasefire. 

2 hours ago, Shadow Play said:

Having just read an article on the BBC website it would appear there were  “intense gun battles” during the operation to free the hostages.

Do the more knowledgeable posters on here think Israel can realistically achieve its aim of militarily destroying Hamas as a fighting force or will there ultimately need to be some sort of negotiated settlement?  

In short how is this all likely to play out?

I’m not being ironic when I say that it’s like Orwell’s 1984.

A leader like Netanyahu needs Hamas.  

56 minutes ago, BFTD said:

I can't imagine that the current generation of kids, traumatised by seeing their home razed to the ground and innocent friends/family slaughtered, will grow up to be anything other than well-adjusted and entirely subservient to Israel.

Rwanda?

I’m sure anyone referencing the extent of the Zionist lobby in the USA would be called an antisemitist but this is absolutely frightening, more so because of the bipartisan nature of their distributions.

https://www.politico.com/news/2024/06/09/aipac-republican-donors-democratic-primaries-00162404

16 hours ago, BFTD said:

I think the idea that the current generation of Gaza's children will grow up is wildly optimistic. 

3 hours ago, Shadow Play said:

Quote from an article on the BBC website:

Barclays bank branches across the UK have been covered in red paint and had windows smashed as part of protests by a pro-Palestine group.

IMG_3226.jpeg

Are the BBC saying it’s a pro-Palestian group or are they claims to have done it?

44 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Are the BBC saying it’s a pro-Palestian group or are they claims to have done it?

Palestine Action stated up to 20 buildings have been targeted.  They are quoted as saying the protests were carried out to "demand the bank divests from Israel's weapons trade and fossil fuels".

On 07/06/2024 at 10:04, effeffsee_the2nd said:

f**k off with this tit for tat shite. there's no good guys here, they are both in the wrong

For Israel to continue expanding, the Palestinians must be displaced. An enormous level of sponsorship from USA is needed to be able to do this, to displace the Palestinians. Public opinion in USA matters because consent is needed from the US electorate for the sponsorship to continue. A major way that consent is achieved is by the extreme demonisation of the Palestinians, by convincing Americans that Palestinians are so awful and worthless that to displace them is acceptable. Portraying Palestinians as characterised by violent, irrational hatred contributes towards their demonisation. In line with that, Palestinian homophobia is weaponised. This isn't tit for tat because Israeli homophobia is not being weaponised as part of a propaganda package to demonise Israelis. There's no project to displace Israelis requiring such propaganda.

Why I mentioned Israeli homophobia was to point out how the Israeli expansion, the occupation, also harms Israelis. I specified that the man who murdered the woman at the Pride parade was a settler. Israeli expansion requires the displacement of the Palestinians and then the settlement of the colonised land. The settlers are volunteers with an extreme ideology which includes homophobia. When Israeli politics is set up around catering to the expansion project, you get pandering to the settlers because they're key to the project. A process of cumulative extremism takes place between the government and the settlers, one result of which is the emboldening of homophobia.

The brutality and violence of occupation also makes it so only the brutal and the violent among the occupied can rise to a position of authority. Hamas with their homophobia are a direct result of the occupation. Queers for Palestine know all this. They recognise that all LGBT folk in Israel and the Palestinian territories are harmed by the Israeli expansion project and that's why they oppose it.

4 hours ago, Shadow Play said:

Barclays bank branches across the UK have been covered in red paint and had windows smashed as part of protests by a pro-Palestine group.

IMG_3226.jpeg

Barclays were all over apartheid South Africa. They're not going to give a shit about this.

Nice excuse for a rebrand though.

See the middle class professional protesters have went from gluing themselves to roads for climate change to smashing banks for Palestine. 

If they're looking for a moral bank that doesn't profit from war they'll be looking for a very long time.

18 hours ago, Shadow Play said:

IMG_3226.jpeg

Was going on when I was on my way home Sunday night.  

PXL_20240610_011612528.jpg

19 minutes ago, Empty It said:

See the middle class professional protesters have went from gluing themselves to roads for climate change to smashing banks for Palestine. 

If they're looking for a moral bank that doesn't profit from war they'll be looking for a very long time.

And that's the protestors' problem.... how exactly? 

4 hours ago, Empty It said:

Triodos.. ?

8 hours ago, Empty It said:

Read their statement, it’s a protest of BOTH climate change AND Gaza events. Now they want moral banks that don’t back climate change AND oppose Israel.

1 hour ago, TxRover said:

Read their statement, it’s a protest of BOTH climate change AND Gaza events. Now they want moral banks that don’t back climate change AND oppose Israel.

If everyone one starts smashing the windows of businesses that they don’t agree with it is going to be a cold winter for a lot of people at their workplace.

Just now, Shadow Play said:

If everyone one starts smashing the windows of businesses that they don’t agree with it is going to be a cold winter for a lot of people at their workplace.

The windows at my office will be smashed from the inside

So if you’re critical of Israel’s massacre of Palestinian children then you’re automatically a supporter of Hamas?  That’s how it works now?

https://www.theguardian.com/world/article/2024/jun/11/un-report-violations-against-children-gaza-west-bank-israel

It’s been a while since we had the bullshit, “you can’t protest about one thing in particular unless you protest about absolutely everything” argument.