Israel And The Palestinians (now with added Iran/Lebanon)

xbl

10 minutes ago, Zetterlund said:

BBC reporting that the Israeli iron aluminium foil dome is "100% effective" against these ballistic missiles while showing footage of most of them getting through and impacting on the ground.

No surprise really, a large part of the Dome is just PR and it's also what has allowed Israeli administrations to act with impunity and keep the majority of their civilians onside.

Interesting times if it's about as useful as an umbrella in a hurricane if anything bigger than a firework from Gaza gets flung at it.

13 minutes ago, Zetterlund said:

BBC reporting that the Israeli iron aluminium foil dome is "100% effective" against these ballistic missiles while showing footage of most of them getting through and impacting on the ground.

They seem to be explaining apparent impacts as "fall out" from the missiles being intercepted by the Israeli missile defence systems which is laughable when you see other outlets footage.

35 minutes ago, Silvio Tattiescone said:

I’ve decided to become a journalist.

If you can get away with vagaries such as launching missiles at a nuclear reactor ‘will have implications’ I reckon I’d win a Pulitzer.

The more escalatory Netanyahu gets the more popular he is in Israel, and I doubt Iran's missile chucking will affect it. To keep out of jail and save his political career he's trying to provoke an all out war with Iran while the US has half its navy parked in the Eastern Mediterranean and the Gulf, and before January when the new President might not be as reliable a sap as old Joe.

Not sure if this is for here, or a PTTGOYN, but f**king hell, how many "reporters" in places like Tel Aviv etc dont understand that using their shitey wifi gives a terrible connection on video calls.

Use a feckin ethernet connection !!!

6 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

The more escalatory Netanyahu gets the more popular he is in Israel, and I doubt Iran's missile chucking will affect it. To keep out of jail and save his political career he's trying to provoke an all out war with Iran while the US has half its navy parked in the Eastern Mediterranean and the Gulf, and before January when the new President might not be as reliable a sap as old Joe.

Not sure it will last to January.  If Harris wins I can see an immediate change in policy.

3 hours ago, ICTChris said:

Iran attacked Israel in April with drones and missiles after the Israeli bombing of their embassy in Damascus.  This was the biggest drone attack in history, at that point.  They managed to hit some Israeli military targets but didn't cause significant damage.  Israel then retaliated by bombing an Iranian air defence site a few days later. 

The whole event seemed as though it was for show rather than a serious attack.  It's not clear what Iran could do differently although they will have taken lessons from the attacks in April, as will the Israelis and allies.  The potential for escalation in all this is huge.  It's hard to see an outcome that doesn't lead to more fighting, at least in the short term.

Aye, so let's just all sit back and allow Israel to chase civilians across Gaza and back and kill folk of all ages there and in Lebanon with impunity. 

I think they need to be called to account. Not that I would expect the UK or USA to have the balls to do this.

30 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Not sure it will last to January.  If Harris wins I can see an immediate change in policy.

My guess is that Israel will attack Iran's nuclear facilities with US bunker busting bombs before November 5th, with full American backing. Netanyahu has been desperately trying to provoke an excuse.

Edited by welshbairn

3 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

Netanyahu must be the single most dangerous c**t in the world atm. Boys an absolute walloper

Would not be a surprise if the US is working in the background to 'eliminate' him once and for all.

Biden and Blinken's recent statements sound like the US influence is not being listened to seriously. 

That eventually will only end one way.

The Iron Dome is for intercepting missiles from Gaza or Hezbollah, the types of missiles fired by Iran will be very different. They will need to be intercepted by higher spec air defence systems, there will need to be co-ordination with Israeli allies, both in the region and from Europe and the US. It wouldn’t surprise me if some of these missiles get through. Air defence like this is a massive undertaking.

The initial assessments are that this salvo was significantly bigger than the attack in April.

Just now, ICTChris said:

The Iron Dome is for intercepting missiles from Gaza or Hezbollah, the types of missiles fired by Iran will be very different. They will need to be intercepted by higher spec air defence systems, there will need to be co-ordination with Israeli allies, both in the region and from Europe and the US. It wouldn’t surprise me if some of these missiles get through. Air defence like this is a massive undertaking.

The initial assessments are that this salvo was significantly bigger than the attack in April.

One word.

Good