P&B Ranks: The Top 42 Video Games of All-Time

Miguel Sanchez

6 hours ago, Gaz said:

Red Alert was one of mine. The sequels were fantastic as well. It still holds up really well. Cha-ching!

Still have red alert 2 and the yuri expansion somewhere in the house along with an old pc, wonder why no one has tried to next gen it, the original c&c worked well on the ps1 i thought 

5 hours ago, Stellaboz said:

I had Red Alert before remembering something else and changing my list. Great game, even though I remember more of the original. It felt like a huge upgrade at the time though and the multiplayer was legendary. 

Mind the original had the covert ops extra missions as well, they were brilliant, always remember the one where you (as the Nod forces) were surrounded by the GDI, mammoth tanks the lot, you had to sneak a stealth tank to the local village and plunder it for money, sell everything bar the power plant, airstrip and temple of Nod (for the nuke) and basically build as many tanks and flame tanks as possible

Once you ran out of cash you nuked one of the 3 surrounding groups, attacked and wiped them out then it was down to what i thought at times was sheer luck wether you'd survive or not in time to go attack their base

16 hours ago, 54_and_counting said:

Still have red alert 2 and the yuri expansion somewhere in the house along with an old pc, wonder why no one has tried to next gen it, the original c&c worked well on the ps1 i thought 

Mind the original had the covert ops extra missions as well, they were brilliant, always remember the one where you (as the Nod forces) were surrounded by the GDI, mammoth tanks the lot, you had to sneak a stealth tank to the local village and plunder it for money, sell everything bar the power plant, airstrip and temple of Nod (for the nuke) and basically build as many tanks and flame tanks as possible

Once you ran out of cash you nuked one of the 3 surrounding groups, attacked and wiped them out then it was down to what i thought at times was sheer luck wether you'd survive or not in time to go attack their base

I reckon I'm gonna get it fired up today.

Absolutely loved the intro for it as well. Hell March is brilliant!

7 hours ago, Gaz said:

Defo loved the idea that Hitler not happening meant stalin went for it, 

Cant believe no one took a chance on a remake for these games, probably wouldnt take much either, a tweak to the graphics and UI, 

2 minutes ago, 54_and_counting said:

Defo loved the idea that Hitler not happening meant stalin went for it, 

Cant believe no one took a chance on a remake for these games, probably wouldnt take much either, a tweak to the graphics and UI, 

They were remastered a few years ago. The cheapest way to play them now seems to be to take out a monthly subscription to EA play for £3.99 which lets you play the whole C&C series.

I'm amazed that they haven't had a release for iPad though, touch controls would be great for it.

11 hours ago, Gaz said:

Fucking hell, that's nostalgia.  Always amazing with these things to look back and see how gloriously shit they really were, but how brilliant they seemed at the time.  f**k was up with that guy playing Hitler?

And Hell March is, and always will be, a fucking tune.  Would love to hear someone do a proper cover of it proper fucking heavy.  But since that might not exist, would anyone like to see an alternative?  Where said heavy band was found, but half their number got the shits and had to be replaced by a couple of supply teachers they found in the crowd at a local LAN party?  You're in luck!

EDIT: Of course, harsh on the guy, as he actually composed the thing, and he looks like he's having a fucking brilliant time.  On yersel' Frank.

Edited by forameus

• Mass Effect 2 isn't in my top ten purely because I decided to only choose one of them. Superb game, brilliantly crafted from start to finish. Seemed like they had an early fixed idea for the story's overall framework and pursued it to perfection. Nothing like the third game, in other words.
  • Half-Life was really good. Killed the Doom clone until recently, as everyone wanted the cinematic story experience from their FPS games after that. Also had some quality expansions in Opposing Force and the bite-size Blue Shift. There's the Black Mesa remake available these days, which sounds like an expanded and reimagined version of the game; also good, apparently.
  • Weirdly, I got the Half Life 2 Collector's Tin as a present on release, but could never finish it. Tried three or four times, but I always drifted off and lost interest. It seemed impressive at the time, but I guess I didn't really care about the story or world, and just got a bit bored of the gunplay/driving sections. Bit of a letdown for me after the shit hitting the fan at Black Mesa, story-wise.
  • As Age of Empires got a mention earlier, there's an advert all over YouTube that tries to make out some POS pay-to-win mobile game is a remake of Age of Empires 2. I know this stuff is commonplace, but it still shocks me every time I see it. Video below, but apologies for how annoying it is.
Spoiler

IN 20TH PLACE, WITH 20 POINTS FROM 3 VOTES

Final Fantasy VIII and the beginning of Square's fall | by Fel Fortes |  Medium

Game: Final Fantasy VIII (sorry the picture's so big)
Platform: PlayStation, PC
Release date: 1999
Gameplay:

You can now buy a fairly shiny looking version on modern consoles.

User comments: 

"Probably the most divisive game in the series, but for me, I was hooked! This was my introduction to FF and it was the game that I probably sunk most hours into."

"Amazing follow up to 7"

This seems as good a place to ask as any - as someone too old for the Pokemon craze when it started over here, why do they always seem to release two games at the same time? Just to rake in more cash, or is there some other purpose?

18 minutes ago, BFTD said:

This seems as good a place to ask as any - as someone too old for the Pokemon craze when it started over here, why do they always seem to release two games at the same time? Just to rake in more cash, or is there some other purpose?

Different Pokemen appear in different games. Sometimes up to the legendaries. Ruby and Sapphire for example had Groudon and Kyogre respectively while Gold let you get Ho-Oh level 40 and Lugia level 70 and vice versa for Silver.

I played the remastered FF8 on PS4 recently and still thoroughly enjoyed it. I really liked the combat, and although the “drawing” magic could be a bit of a chore, I liked the fact it demonstrably benefitted you to do it, and triple triad was probably the most fun “in-game game” I’d played until Gwent in Witcher 3 which I’m playing for the first time just now (so good).

The main character is a bit of a greeting faced wee knob, but that’s consistent with most of the Final Fantasy games I’ve played, tbf, and the story and development were both enjoyable.

10 hours ago, NotThePars said:

Different Pokemen appear in different games. Sometimes up to the legendaries. Ruby and Sapphire for example had Groudon and Kyogre respectively while Gold let you get Ho-Oh level 40 and Lugia level 70 and vice versa for Silver.

Is there any reason that all of that couldn't be put in a single game? Do they both have different stories or something?

I can't think of any other series that always releases two titles at the same time. Surprised more publishers haven't thought of it TBH  :lol:

52 minutes ago, BFTD said:

Is there any reason that all of that couldn't be put in a single game? Do they both have different stories or something?

I can't think of any other series that always releases two titles at the same time. Surprised more publishers haven't thought of it TBH  :lol:

At least in the early days, the idea was you and your friends would play different versions, get the "unique" pokemon in each, and trade them between each other. Sure in one of them I played (Crystal?) they push it a lot that you would benefit by linking up with another player.

Think it was to try and replicate the success they had with trading cards becoming popular.

2 hours ago, BFTD said:

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

At least in the early days, the idea was you and your friends would play different versions, get the "unique" pokemon in each, and trade them between each other. Sure in one of them I played (Crystal?) they push it a lot that you would benefit by linking up with another player.

Think it was to try and replicate the success they had with trading cards becoming popular.

yeah it was to make more money encourage trading between games. They usually release a final cut version a bit later as well that contains most of everything and some extra content but even that depends on generation sometimes. Black and White had full sequels, Sun and Moon got separate updated editions that had a shitload of extra end game and Sword and Shield got DLC instead of extra editions.

Nintendo are weird.

Final Fantasy 8 was one of my picks. It was the first I owned properly, despite playing 7 before. 

The story gets far fetched with Ultimecia but before that, it's superb. Coming through training and finding out your past before fighting your childhood nemesis? 
I totally related to Squall when I was younger, even today a bit. Moody, quiet and don't want to rely on anyone. 

Quistis is such a wid, I'm a Trepe!

Zell, Selphie, Rinoa and Irvine all have tremendous characters as well as the supporting cast of Cid, Edea, Xu and the guy who drives the Garden. I can't remember his name. Not forgetting Laguna, Ward and Kiros!

The battle system, in particular the draw/magic system is much different to anything up until that point but it works. It's a bit mental, but it's unique and really fun when you understand it better.

The card game is tremendous and I'd be happy to play it as a stand alone game. Probably more so than Gwent due to the nostalgia factor. The random rule can GTF though, ugh. Also the Queen of Cards quest, that's horrific. 

Lots of hidden gems too like the Zell and ponytail girl love story, which affects the ending. The Pu sidequest. 

Just tremendous fun and I recently played the remaster on the PS4. A timeless classic. 

6 hours ago, Stellaboz said:

Final Fantasy 8 was one of my picks. It was the first I owned properly, despite playing 7 before. 

The story gets far fetched with Ultimecia but before that, it's superb. Coming through training and finding out your past before fighting your childhood nemesis? 
I totally related to Squall when I was younger, even today a bit. Moody, quiet and don't want to rely on anyone. 

Quistis is such a wid, I'm a Trepe!

Zell, Selphie, Rinoa and Irvine all have tremendous characters as well as the supporting cast of Cid, Edea, Xu and the guy who drives the Garden. I can't remember his name. Not forgetting Laguna, Ward and Kiros!

The battle system, in particular the draw/magic system is much different to anything up until that point but it works. It's a bit mental, but it's unique and really fun when you understand it better.

The card game is tremendous and I'd be happy to play it as a stand alone game. Probably more so than Gwent due to the nostalgia factor. The random rule can GTF though, ugh. Also the Queen of Cards quest, that's horrific. 

Lots of hidden gems too like the Zell and ponytail girl love story, which affects the ending. The Pu sidequest. 

Just tremendous fun and I recently played the remaster on the PS4. A timeless classic. 

I didnt mind random, but had to have the open rule

The rest of your post ia absolutely spot on, ff8 was my fav ff game, the junction system was amazing imo