P&B Ranks: The Top 42 Video Games of All-Time

Miguel Sanchez

IN 5TH PLACE WITH 37 POINTS FROM 4 VOTES

Black and white images of a man pointing a gun at the viewer, a woman and an antenna are seen at the top of the image, while at the bottom a man runs from an explosion and a helicopter flies. In the foreground is the title "GoldenEye 007", on the bottom left corner the Rare logo, and on the right side game specifications.

Game: Goldeneye 007
Platform: Nintendo 64
Release date: 25 August 1997
Gameplay:

I'd post the single player, or post a speedrun, but this is what you all want to see, right?

User comments: 

"oh the weekends I spent with my mates as a tween/teenager playing this one"

"Iconic, HUGE hours spent playing"

1 hour ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

If you mean me, you can look at things objectively and decide if they're good or bad. Lots of it was bad, so what else are you supposed to think if you don't don't like something?

You can, and I'm not saying you're wrong or not to have an opinion but some of the criticisms are so small that you could probably critique any game ever in a similar fashion.

Edit to add I haven't played it so I'll withdraw that. Maybe I'd agree with everything if I had.

Edited by GiGi

34 minutes ago, Stellaboz said:

Bag of dog shite on a shite system.

People tend to point out that it was the first ever FPS that they ever played. I think it's probably one of the biggest examples of a game that kids enjoyed greatly at the time, but they'd be horrified if they went back to it now. The first girlfriend of video games.

10 hours ago, BFTD said:

People tend to point out that it was the first ever FPS that they ever played. I think it's probably one of the biggest examples of a game that kids enjoyed greatly at the time, but they'd be horrified if they went back to it now. The first girlfriend of video games.

It was a very good FPS, especially for a console, at the time. I don't think it's aged well at all. I don't want to come over all PC Master Race, but it came out in 1997 and a year later we had Half-Life, which still holds up incredibly well.

10 hours ago, BFTD said:

They remastered it on the Wii, didn't they?  I had a shot of it a while back, having never played the original, and I thought it was dated shite.  That's not to say the original was at the time, because clearly it's up there with one of the most important and loved games in the genre. 

Also, local couch-play split-screen.  Fucking bring it back you fucking cowards.

1 hour ago, Gaz said:

It was a very good FPS, especially for a console, at the time. I don't think it's aged well at all. I don't want to come over all PC Master Race, but it came out in 1997 and a year later we had Half-Life, which still holds up incredibly well.

We also had Doom, Duke Nukem 3D, Quake, and all the other FPS games that came before Goldeneye..

But, as has been pointed out before, PCs were a lot more expensive than the N64. Although you didn't need to buy games on the PC if you knew what you were doing, and you were stuck paying silly money for cartridges, so I think it evens out.

I used to play the map in the snow with the ski lift with one of my mates and enjoyed it at the time. Wasn't exactly blown away but if I was 5 years older I probably would've been hooked. 

39 minutes ago, BFTD said:

We also had Doom, Duke Nukem 3D, Quake, and all the other FPS games that came before Goldeneye..

But, as has been pointed out before, PCs were a lot more expensive than the N64. Although you didn't need to buy games on the PC if you knew what you were doing, and you were stuck paying silly money for cartridges, so I think it evens out.

I think price is a good point, yes.

My grandparents bought me my first PC when I was about 15 and it cost them about £1,600, and that was for a decent mid-spec computer - not high-end in any way. That's a lot of money. By contrast an N64 could be gotten for a couple of hundred quid. Although as you say the cartridges were more expensive.

I think the oldest FPS I could say you could go back and play and not have to accommodate for the length of time since it was released is Halo 2. That still plays incredibly well. The larger 8v8 multiplayer maps are probably too big but anything else is still class.

3 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

I think the oldest FPS I could say you could go back and play and not have to accommodate for the length of time since it was released is Halo 2. That still plays incredibly well. The larger 8v8 multiplayer maps are probably too big but anything else is still class.

Doom and the Buiild engine games are still marvellous. Maybe even the original Quake.

Anything after that and you can see where they'd like to have done something more advanced, but the technology wasn't quite there yet. Been playing a bit of the Quake mission packs lately, and they're really good fun, but you can feel the devs trying to stretch the engine in ways it wasn't meant for.

2 hours ago, Gaz said:

I think price is a good point, yes.

My grandparents bought me my first PC when I was about 15 and it cost them about £1,600, and that was for a decent mid-spec computer - not high-end in any way. That's a lot of money. By contrast an N64 could be gotten for a couple of hundred quid. Although as you say the cartridges were more expensive.

£1600 was mid range?! You could get something approaching high end for that money these days (if you could get the components, that is).

Albeit this is without any kind of peripherals.

£1600 was mid range?! You could get something approaching high end for that money these days (if you could get the components, that is).
My first pc was a pentium 2, if I remember rightly. Cost just over £1000 in 1999.

I've just spent about the same building something not quite high end

55 minutes ago, GiGi said:

Yup. This was in 1998. It had a Pentium 150, 16MB RAM, 1.6Gb Hard Drive, integrated graphics. A high-end in those days would have been something like a Pentium 200 with 32MB RAM and maybe a 3DFX Voodoo.

39 minutes ago, Mr X said:

My first pc was a pentium 2, if I remember rightly. Cost just over £1000 in 1999.

I've just spent about the same building something not quite high end

I got my first PC in 1997 when I turned 18.

AMD K6 processor with a clock speed of 200 Mhz

S3 Virge graphics card with a whopping 4meg of video ram.

Edited by BallochSonsFan