Pregnancy And Parenting

Shes the really, really strict routine one, yeah?

We ended up mixing a variety of techniques, if I remember rightly, we certainly didnt follow any one technique to the letter. There some things, for example, that we thought were just too strict so we didnt do them and some things from other books that we did use

To be honest, it was Mrs X who did all the reading and worked out what to do - I was just kind of there :ph34r::lol:

Yeah she is.

I didn't do any reading! Figured the baby wasn't going to have read any book! Mind you I didn't go to parent craft classes either. You got a tour of hospital if you went but as I was consultant lead I wasn't go to be able to use birthing pool etc anyway so was no point. I did however go to a couple of lovely bf support groups.

Cannot for the life of me get our 3 year old to stop blowing rasperries when she disagrees with you.

She is normally pretty good but this one habit is a total pain in the arse.

Naughty step, naughty chart and a good old fashion beating have all failed.

p.s. The good old fashion beating was a red herring...

:lol: :lol:

She's got a bit of spark about her then! Have you tried ignoring the rasperries all together?

Yeah she is.

I didn't do any reading! Figured the baby wasn't going to have read any book! Mind you I didn't go to parent craft classes either. You got a tour of hospital if you went but as I was consultant lead I wasn't go to be able to use birthing pool etc anyway so was no point. I did however go to a couple of lovely bf support groups.

What a strange thing to say. Does that mean a book on medicine is only valid of all the patients have read it?

What a strange thing to say. Does that mean a book on medicine is only valid of all the patients have read it?

Was an off the cuff thing! Sorry wasn't meant as an insight to raising a baby!

Monkeyblair, just chop her tounge off!

Ruairidh was the same, he didn't get his first tooth until the week after his first birthday. The later they start coming through, they say the better as they come through stronger. He's only got 8 teeth now at 18 months.

Source? That sounds like an old wive's tale if ever I heard one.

Edited by Skyline Drifter

Neither of ours ever did anything like that. Even at that age they had a bedtime routine pretty much the same as now. Presumably you let him sleep as long as he wants during the day? That something we didnt do. I cant remember the details, but we would wake them up after a certain amount of time during the day and they werent allowed to 'nap' after 5pm. The amount of sleep they got over 24 hours was the same, they just got the majority of it at night.

Thomas has always been lively in the evenings and as I said previously would sit up to between 9pm and 10pm if left to it. We don't let him sleep as long as he wants during the day. He gets an hour in the morning and the same in the afternoon if he wants it. Sometimes he doesn't take the nap one of them, usually he doesn't last a full hour for either of them. On rare occasions when he doesn't wake himself (and I mean once or twice a month maybe) then he'd be woken after an hour and a quarter. He still doesn't look remotely like he wants to sleep at 7pm.

We're going to try to ease him back towards an 8:30pm bedtime in a week or so once he's had a few weeks at 9pm but it's not really a big problem. If he sticks with 9pm so be it.

My dentist.

Fair enough. I've just spent far more time than I ever want to again reading about tooth development on Wiki and other sources. I wish I'd never started. None of them actually say that but I suppose it's feasible that if the enamel hardening stage is longer they may well be harder (though comparatively irrelevant in first teeth anyway).

On a completely unrelated note can I just add it's considerably simpler for me to follow who is saying what now you've returned to "Rowan" from your Sunday name! :)

Fair enough. I've just spent far more time than I ever want to again reading about tooth development on Wiki and other sources. I wish I'd never started. None of them actually say that but I suppose it's feasible that if the enamel hardening stage is longer they may well be harder (though comparatively irrelevant in first teeth anyway).

On a completely unrelated note can I just add it's considerably simpler for me to follow who is saying what now you've returned to "Rowan" from your Sunday name! :)

Yeah, the 2nd set are of course the important but if he can retain the first set longer then it'll do the secondary ones no harm. I didn't loose the last of my baby teeth until high school and have a strong set of nashers! My pet hate is little kids with rotten teeth due to the parents not looking after the teeth properly.

Meant to change it back last week but forgot!

I don't like the idea of waking them up from a nap - if they're sleeping it's because they need it, surely? Callum sleeps better at night if he's had good naps during the day. Sleep breeds sleep and all that...

that's a fascinating thing to say. surely fatigue breeds sleep?

Not in my experience. The wee one gets overtired - when he does that, he fights sleep more and it's much harder to get him to sleep. He also tends to wake up earlier in the morning/through the night. If he's slept really well during the day, he tends to sleep all night. It makes no sense, but going by advice from other mums I know, it's true of most kids.

Not in my experience. The wee one gets overtired - when he does that, he fights sleep more and it's much harder to get him to sleep. He also tends to wake up earlier in the morning/through the night. If he's slept really well during the day, he tends to sleep all night. It makes no sense, but going by advice from other mums I know, it's true of most kids.

genuinely fascinating. I'm all in favour of siestas.

Not in my experience. The wee one gets overtired - when he does that, he fights sleep more and it's much harder to get him to sleep.

Yep, letting your wee one get overtired is a nightmare, as it takes longer for them to get to sleep, and they'll generally have more of a restless night.

Yup, Ruairidh is the same too as is my friends wee one.

Yeah, the 2nd set are of course the important but if he can retain the first set longer then it'll do the secondary ones no harm. I didn't loose the last of my baby teeth until high school and have a strong set of nashers! My pet hate is little kids with rotten teeth due to the parents not looking after the teeth properly.

Meant to change it back last week but forgot!

I have quite strong teeth as well,I didn't get mine through until I was a year old,my daughter got her first few teeth when she was around 6/7 months old.