Pregnancy And Parenting

What's the deal up in Scotland with midwife appointments. We had our first yesterday (17 weeks) and are not due to see them again until 28 weeks. Is that normal? To me it seems a long time inbetween.

IIRC, I saw them when I had just found out, but that was partly due to me getting an early scan, then at 12, 20, 30 and 37 weeks. However I never made it to 37 weeks :lol:

What's the deal up in Scotland with midwife appointments. We had our first yesterday (17 weeks) and are not due to see them again until 28 weeks. Is that normal? To me it seems a long time inbetween.

Midwife appointments? Or ante-natal clinic appointments?

I'm not entirely sure how often the wife saw midwives, she used to pop into her doctor's surgery on a Wednesday for that. I think she went every couple of weeks or so.

I'm presuming you actually mean appointments up at the maternity hospital to have scans, check progress properly, etc?

First one we were up a lot but we were deemed high risk with our history and they kept a very close eye on us. We certainly had appointments at 8 weeks, 10 weeks, 12 weeks, 16 weeks, 20 weeks, and about every 4 weeks thereafter I think. After that pregnancy went without a hitch when Steven came along we were downgraded to "normal" and very struck by how little we were then asked to attend. I think we had a 12 week scan, 20 weeks then nothing until into the 30's. In some respects it was quite reassuring that they were confident there was no need for detailed monitoring second time around (and it also duly went without a hitch).

I would think policy will differ from hospital to hospital but if it's not your first and there's no history of problems they won't want to see you very often. You can always request to see them more often if you want though I don't know how co-operative they'd be if they felt it was unnecessary. We certainly were always told if we wanted an earlier appointment it wouldn't be a problem.

:lol:

In other words he does wake up before 6am?

In my opinion, 10.30 is far too late to put a baby of that age to bed. Our wee one is just over a year old, but from almost when she was first born, she was bathed around six, and in bed by seven at the latest.

Now, she sleeps from 7-7 every night, only very occasionally waking up through the night. And even then, it's only because she's either lost her dummy or her comfort blanket has fell out the cot.

I concur. Thats pretty much our routine too, although its more like 7.30 before they're actually asleep and Molly can wake up anytime from 6.30 to 7.30 - although more often earlier than later.

Im not quite sure how you can get a kid of that age to stay up until 8.30 never mind 10.30!

Sounds fantastic. She's obviously perfectly healthy and has no need to be poked and prodded at unneccesarily! Don't knock it!

As it's Thunderbaby 2, you'll have fewer appointments, both hospital and midwife, assuming that everything went well the first time around. You'd only be seen more frequently if there was something that required additional checks. You can always phone them of course if you thought it was needed.

I saw mine for the first time at 5 weeks, then I had an appointment of some sort every 4 weeks or so, until it got closer to D-Day when it was every week.

Im not quite sure how you can get a kid of that age to stay up until 8.30 never mind 10.30!

It depends on what suits you as a family. Callum was going to bed at the same time as us up until a couple of months ago and it was fine. He now goes down around 8, but I'm gradually bringing that back to 7 for me going back to work in about 2 months.

My wee monkey is starting to climb things. At 7 months, he is climbing the furniture to get to a standing position... it's crazy how strong he is. :unsure:

e. He tends to be hyper in the early evening though so I can't believe he'd happily settle down at 7pm or particularly close to it.

Ruairidh goes through a hyper phase between about half six to about 8. Then he climbs on the bed cuddles in and falls asleep! It's like his batteries run flat all of a sudden.

We had out first sprog 5 weeks back and the missus was up at 12 weeks then 17 weeks and then 28 weeks. Seemed a long time to me as well 17 to 28, but I wasn't complaining the hospital is boring and the magazines were so out of date Jade Goody had hair in some of them. Her sister in law is up the duff with the 3rd and had her first scan and it turned out she was 29 weeks pregnant.

To conclude, yeah 28 weeks is pretty normal I think.

Yeah, Callum had teething symptoms at around 3 months, but he's still not got any teeth at 7 months.

Ruairidh was the same, he didn't get his first tooth until the week after his first birthday. The later they start coming through, they say the better as they come through stronger. He's only got 8 teeth now at 18 months.

Cannot for the life of me get our 3 year old to stop blowing rasperries when she disagrees with you.

She is normally pretty good but this one habit is a total pain in the arse.

Naughty step, naughty chart and a good old fashion beating have all failed.

p.s. The good old fashion beating was a red herring...

At 6 months old he can easily stay up until 10:30 pending on what naps he takes during the day. Today for example my son went to bed at 9pm, hardly slept that much during the day, was more crying due to his pain with his teething. The other day however was totally different and he went to bed a bit later and well he ended up waking up at around 4am, in saying that he did go back to sleep and woke up at 8am.

Neither of ours ever did anything like that. Even at that age they had a bedtime routine pretty much the same as now. Presumably you let him sleep as long as he wants during the day? That something we didnt do. I cant remember the details, but we would wake them up after a certain amount of time during the day and they werent allowed to 'nap' after 5pm. The amount of sleep they got over 24 hours was the same, they just got the majority of it at night.

Cannot for the life of me get our 3 year old to stop blowing rasperries when she disagrees with you.

She is normally pretty good but this one habit is a total pain in the arse.

Naughty step, naughty chart and a good old fashion beating have all failed.

p.s. The good old fashion beating was a red herring...

Have you tried taking things off her when she does it? Like saying she cant play with a favourite toy until lunchtime/teatime/tomorrow etc. Or rewarding her when she doesnt do it? Say, she gets a treat at lunch if she doesnt blow any raspberries in the morning, that sort of thing.

Neither of ours ever did anything like that. Even at that age they had a bedtime routine pretty much the same as now. Presumably you let him sleep as long as he wants during the day? That something we didnt do. I cant remember the details, but we would wake them up after a certain amount of time during the day and they werent allowed to 'nap' after 5pm. The amount of sleep they got over 24 hours was the same, they just got the majority of it at night.

Did you use Gina Ford's techniques?

Did you use Gina Ford's techniques?

Shes the really, really strict routine one, yeah?

We ended up mixing a variety of techniques, if I remember rightly, we certainly didnt follow any one technique to the letter. There some things, for example, that we thought were just too strict so we didnt do them and some things from other books that we did use

To be honest, it was Mrs X who did all the reading and worked out what to do - I was just kind of there :ph34r::lol: