The Wrestling Thread

Mo Wonderboy

On Sunday, November 06, 2016 at 21:56, airdrieman said:

Did anyone attend the William Regal Q&A at The Stand yesterday?

Wanted to go but then forgot before it was too late. Would imagine it was decent. Always comes across as a sound bloke with a great mind for the business.

On 11/11/2016 at 14:41, Christophe said:

Is the consensus that the Glasgow Raw crowd was really good? I thought apart from the Dar entrance and the Bayley stuff that it felt really flat for the most part

I'd agree with that. I expected better.

11 hours ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

What's the story with Joey Styles? I've seen his name mentioned on Twitter a bit over the weekend.

He was warned not to make any political references by Gene Sapolsky. He went out and not only made a political joke but insinuated that the new President would like to sexually assault the ring announcer dressed the way she was.

So got punted more or less instantly.

Edited by djchapsticks

• 2 weeks later...

That's me all sorted for both ICW and PROGRESS in 2017. PROGRESS is going along VERY nicely at the moment, and Pete Dunne winning the title is great news. Loads of intriguing stuff going on in the undercard at the minute as well. Should be a belter in Birmingham.

Watched some of Mania 13 earlier. It struck me just how cheesy so much of it was. The presentation was dated for the time and a whole load of the characters were fucking awful. We had shite like The Godwins, The Nee Blackjacks, The Sultan and Rocky Maivia. All dreadful characters who obviously had talent since a load of them became Mideon, Bradshaw/JBL, Rikishi and of course The Rock. Even Hunter Hearst Helmsley was a pretty pishy character (but good wrestler). It's no wonder WCW were destroying them in the ratings when you had cheesy, dated, boring and uncool as f**k characters in the WWF, many of whom were still wrestling a dull, slow style. Compare that to WCW who had the nWO, the coolest stable ever at the time, and cruiserweights who were wrestling fast, exciting matches using moves rarely seen in those days in American wrestling.

There was some good stuff, including one of the best matches ever (Bret Hart vs Stone Cold, not to mention the characters each guy were at the time). HHH was outgrowing the pishy gimmick he had and was starting to become HHH. The Nation brought a bit of danger to a dull, safe product. And of course Taker is always brilliant, especially since he was becoming darker at this time.

It's amazing the change from this Mania to the next. The look and feel of the show was massively different. Even little things like the graphics for the show and what the commentators wore were updated. The characters were massively different. The pace was increased. Even the entrance music was so much more in touch. Obviously there was still some shite (The Godwins put in an appearance, The Midnight Express were pish), but the product as a whole was almost unrecognisable from the year before.

That's me all sorted for both ICW and PROGRESS in 2017. PROGRESS is going along VERY nicely at the moment, and Pete Dunne winning the title is great news. Loads of intriguing stuff going on in the undercard at the minute as well. Should be a belter in Birmingham.

You realise it's not real don't you. Always knew you were a sandwich or two short of a picnic

42 minutes ago, John Lambies Doos said:

You realise it's not real don't you. Always knew you were a sandwich or two short of a picnic

Aye, none of us wrestling fans get it all and we all think its actually 100% real, just like we think all TV shows and films are 100% real.

11 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

Aye, none of us wrestling fans get it all and we all think its actually 100% real, just like we think all TV shows and films are 100% real.

You mean Undertaker's no really deid?  And he can't control electricity?  

f**k.