Livingston - all the threads merged

How much you can sell a player for depends a lot on the finances of the club(s) that're in for him. We struck lucky with Dykes. QPR were on the verge of a huge incoming transfer fee for Eberechi Eze at the time so we could push them for probably about £1M more than we'd otherwise have got. St Johnstone got just £1.25M for Ali McCann last summer because it was only the more financially modest Preston who were in for him.

1 hour ago, LiviLion said:

Does Stryjek count as a homegrown player to teams in England? That, along with a superb end to the season with no blunders, is the only chance we even think about getting 1.5m for him (unless it's a deal that starts at like 500k, then grows after international caps, promotion etc).

Pros to bump up his price is his penalty saves this season, vastly improved there.

Cons are the couple of howlers he's let in, but as you say, if he has a strong end to the season and doesn't have anymore goal keeping errors then who knows.

37 minutes ago, FreedomFarter said:

How much you can sell a player for depends a lot on the finances of the club(s) that're in for him. We struck lucky with Dykes. QPR were on the verge of a huge incoming transfer fee for Eberechi Eze at the time so we could push them for probably about £1M more than we'd otherwise have got. St Johnstone got just £1.25M for Ali McCann last summer because it was only the more financially modest Preston who were in for him.

To be fair, with Dykes there was a good 4-7 clubs chasing him as well if I'm remembering right. Martindale saying we've had a lot of interest is what's pushing me in that direction

I'd be surprised if we got anything close to £1m for him. I'd say 300k-500k potentially, with League 1 in England likely to be his level. Slap a tasty 10% sell-on and hope for the best. Max's form is too up and down for me - granted he has played well after the early season mistakes. I would be taking any deal we get, as I always feel there is a bad run of form just around the corner with him. 

The boy we have brought in seems to have a decent history behind him and could be an astute signing. 

23 hours ago, EdinburghLivi said:

Goalies can go for that much money but they have to be a lot better consistently than Max has been (e.g. Siegrist). As has been said, £500k maximum and that would be off the back of a very good second half to the season. 

Goalkeepers are generally pretty difficult to get any sort of money for unless you're talking about genuinely elite.

Not for want of trying we ended up with Randolph walking away at the end of his contract. Gillespie went on a free to Newcastle as well.

The story was that we were after something like £500k from Celtic for Carson but that didn't go through. We were expecting bids for him the following summer after getting to two cup finals and the like but the only interest was supposedly from Cardiff but there was never an offer that motivated us to sell.

Compare that with fees for outfield players where we were getting £1m for a player who'd only played 42 first team games.

45 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Goalkeepers are generally pretty difficult to get any sort of money for unless you're talking about genuinely elite.

Not for want of trying we ended up with Randolph walking away at the end of his contract. Gillespie went on a free to Newcastle as well.

The story was that we were after something like £500k from Celtic for Carson but that didn't go through. We were expecting bids for him the following summer after getting to two cup finals and the like but the only interest was supposedly from Cardiff but there was never an offer that motivated us to sell.

Compare that with fees for outfield players where we were getting £1m for a player who'd only played 42 first team games.

To be fair we got something like £75k from QPR for Kelly :D That was due to him insisting on a low release clause though

St Johnstone bidding for Forrest. I can’t imagine we’ll even entertain it given the way the league is now. He’s out of contract but I imagine we’re putting a new deal in front of him.

Would take stupid money for us to even consider selling to a direct rival, something I’d then like to see us give to Martindale to reinvest immediately in January 

Unless Forrest kicks up a fuss then I can't see this happening. And he didn't kick up a fuss when he signed a PCA to come to us, so I'd be surprised. 

The biggest issue here is that we're not safe and we don't want to directly benefit a relegation rival. If it was Motherwell coming in for him then I suspect we'd sell him.

Martindale seems to be more philosophical than most managers about players moving on so if Forrest really wants to go to St Johnstone now, I'd expect it to happen. The key word there, though, is "if" because Forrest might prefer to wait for pre-contract offers at the season's end. 

As to any potential move to St Johnstone, They are currently my favourites for finishing in 12th. Not that I am that great with predictions. I would think it strange he signs a pre-contract with St Johnstone in the next month, with the way things are he could be back in the Championship next season if he does so. would likely be better waiting to see where the lay of the land is. If he doesn't take up our offer of an extension to his current contract he could easily get picked up by a few clubs down south or any one of 6 or 7 teams in the Premiership, who knows maybe even the team(s) that get promoted could try and lure him if he hasn't signed on with anyone.  

Can't see St Johnstone putting in a crazy offer of anything that should tempt us. he has featured in 24 of our 27 games this season so far. 14 starts of 21 league games. 

Re Stryjek, it wouldn't surprise me if he was away in the summer, especially if his numbers keep up. His clean sheet stats are as good as, if not better than, Kelly's when he left. I know there's always going to be question marks about his howlers, but every keeper has them. 

Re Forrest, I just can't countenance him going to St. Johnstone at all, and as EL says, it's wild that their fans wouldn't be interested in him. 

51 minutes ago, RossBFaeDundee said:

Why would Livi even entertain St Johnstone on giving them Forrest when the goal should still be to confirm survival for next season? No wonder the report has the deal being 'not close'.

That's the thing, we won't. Unless it's an absolutely stupid offer from them at something like 250k+ for a guy with 6 months left on his deal. Martindale is probably one of the most prolific managers in the league when it comes to transfers. If he gets even some of that fee back to spend he'd end up finding a better player

24 minutes ago, ATLIS said:

That's the thing, we won't. Unless it's an absolutely stupid offer from them at something like 250k+ for a guy with 6 months left on his deal. Martindale is probably one of the most prolific managers in the league when it comes to transfers. If he gets even some of that fee back to spend he'd end up finding a better player

Given our depth in that area of the park, I would be looking at using any transfer fee to tie down some of our other players.

SAINTS EYE FORREST

David Martindale has revealed Livingston have rejected two bids from St Johnstone for winger Alan Forrest.

The 25-year-old's contract is up in the summer but the Perth club, who are bottom of the cinch Premiership, are looking to bring in the former Ayr player this month.

WV3_Alan_Forrestjpg-JS704742438.jpg

He said: "It is a tough one, to be fair. Alan has been pretty honest and fair with me and told me he thinks his future is away from Livingston.

"I made him a contract offer and he is probably not going to sign that contract.

"I have told St Johnstone that I don't want to lose Alan and I will be honest, do I really want to lose him to someone who is as close to me in the table?

"Do I want to strengthen one of my rivals? Not really. So I have made it clear to St Johnstone that if they want to take Alan Forrest it needs to be for a premium to make it worthwhile for Livingston Football Club, so that's where we are.

"I don't want to discuss the figures but we are probably in the ball park of 30 to 35 per cent difference in the figure (valuation).

"I told St Johnstone what I wanted, they have put two bids in now, I have knocked them both back. So that's where we are

Edited by EdinburghLivi

17 minutes ago, EdinburghLivi said:

Given our depth in that area of the park, I would be looking at using any transfer fee to tie down some of our other players.

SAINTS EYE FORREST

David Martindale has revealed Livingston have rejected two bids from St Johnstone for winger Alan Forrest.

The 25-year-old's contract is up in the summer but the Perth club, who are bottom of the cinch Premiership, are looking to bring in the former Ayr player this month.

He said: "It is a tough one, to be fair. Alan has been pretty honest and fair with me and told me he thinks his future is away from Livingston.

"I made him a contract offer and he is probably not going to sign that contract.

"I have told St Johnstone that I don't want to lose Alan and I will be honest, do I really want to lose him to someone who is as close to me in the table?

"Do I want to strengthen one of my rivals? Not really. So I have made it clear to St Johnstone that if they want to take Alan Forrest it needs to be for a premium to make it worthwhile for Livingston Football Club, so that's where we are.

"I don't want to discuss the figures but we are probably in the ball park of 30 to 35 per cent difference in the figure (valuation).

"I told St Johnstone what I wanted, they have put two bids in now, I have knocked them both back. So that's where we are

It'd be well worth letting him go to get Sibbald and Holt signed up or even a cheeky Omeonga extension

16 hours ago, EdinburghLivi said:

SAINTS EYE FORREST

Since when did a rag tag farmer team get money to bid on players?!  Barley sales must be booming right now.

I wouldn't be overly disappointed to lose Forrest, unless he later scored against us, then I'd be sad.  I've always thought he's too lightweight for the division.  Reminds me of Liam Buchanan - looks lively but his 'Livi best bits' montage would definitely include a lot of being brushed off the ball with ease.

Since when did a rag tag farmer team get money to bid on players?!  Barley sales must be booming right now.
I wouldn't be overly disappointed to lose Forrest, unless he later scored against us, then I'd be sad.  I've always thought he's too lightweight for the division.  Reminds me of Liam Buchanan - looks lively but his 'Livi best bits' montage would definitely include a lot of being brushed off the ball with ease.
I think there's more to come from Forrest. It'd be a shame to lose him but with Bailey, Chukwuemeka, Nouble able to play in his position plus Sibbald and Shinnie able to play the inside forward on that side then we have plenty of cover. If we were to lose Bailey for the second half of the season then I'd be more concerned