Livingston - all the threads merged

There is an old saying that hard cases make bad law and I think this is one of those.

Relegating Gretna to the Third Div had nothiog to do with the SFL thinking that was a just decision and a fair punishment. It was simply to tie up the fixture lists for the 1st and 2 Divs as quickly as possible in the expectation that Gretna would shortly go into liquidation and it was a relatively easy process to bring a new club into the vacant space in the 3rd.

I think relegating Livi is a bad decision and does nothing for the so called integrity of the league (what a bloddy laugh that expression is)

I agree with you WJR, relegating them is an OTT reaction. Especially 3 days before the season is supposed to begin. A fine of 15 points + transfer embargo (excluding amateurs) + a requirement for the SFL Management Committee to closely monitor the situation would IMO have been best.

My understanding is that any appeal to the Court of Session would have to be on Friday (at the earliest?): it may thus be physically too late for the administrator to stop this weekend's games.

If this highlights one thing it is the fact that (yet again) our football rules are woefully outdated.

Edited by HibeeJibee

The only farcical thing about it is the timing of it.

Should have been done first time around, but the SFL bottled it. Make no mistake, the SFL are still tools after all of this.

That's why it's a farcical decision. I've said I wouldn't mind a punishment for a sense of justice for the rest of the clubs but this late it's a disgrace.

The Livi mantra, sugar daddies must plow money into the club. There are other ways to run football clubs, they're not as easy so most Livi fans probably won't be interested.

I mean to pay off the debts so that creditors get more of their money back, you moron.

That's why it's a farcical decision. I've said I wouldn't mind a punishment for a sense of justice for the rest of the clubs but this late it's a disgrace.

I mean to pay off the debts so that creditors get more of their money back, you moron.

Yeah, sure you did ;)

If there's an appeal, and I imagine there will be, you could find all the games involving us, Cowden and Airdrie being postponed for the time being which is particularly unfair to the two teams who haven't been punished.

..and their opponents. This decision should have been reached last week. Let's just hope that an appeal is not lodged.

What the f**k does this have to do with the SFA?

:1eye

He's just being a daft p***k as usual.

I'm amazed we've seen him again. I thought after the relegation that he'd never post again. Or is that hoped ?

The decision isn't disgusting. The attitude of certain people on here is. So you can come off your fucking high horse because as I have stated many times I actually agree with you. There is no defence for the way the club has been run.

At the end of the day loyalty will only get you so far in the situation we are now in.

Under the proposed CVA, as far as I can gather, there was around £500,000 to pay creditors, with the football debt being cleared 100%. No one in their right mind will pay £500,000 for a Third Division team. Someone might pay considerably less, but will the creditors accept?

Too late, they have already!

It's not about guilt. I am merely pointing out that there's a human cost to this decision.

Even if we survive there's no way you can pay full time wages in the Third Division so there's about 20 players on the dole for a start before you start thinking about backroom folk.

all other 3rd division teams will be paying part time wages cause they are living within there means and will be a good starting point for Livi.

If there's an appeal, and I imagine there will be, you could find all the games involving us, Cowden and Airdrie being postponed for the time being which is particularly unfair to the two teams who haven't been punished.

Possibility of this - AUFC website states that there will be no game on Saturday.

Is it the timing of the relegation or the relegation as a punishment you disagree with WJR?

A bit of both neebs but more the relegation itself. The point I was trying to make, poorly obviously, was that there no principled thinking behind the decision to relegate Gretna, just sheer expediency and self interest.

If a business is coming from a poor financial base how does it make it any sense to send them 2 leagues down?

Points deduction would have been much more just and given the club a fighting chance.

Longmuir played a blinder last year and the SPL and the SFL both got out of jail.

I think he has got this one badly wrong.

Right, off to the pub, will check back in later

I'd be very surprised that the SFA have made this decision without taking account of the possibility of an appeal.

I'd suspect that the consortium have been told off the record, if they appeal, and fail, the punishment will be harsher, ie expulsion from the SFL.

Well I really didn't see this coming at all, had been keeping up with the thread just out of interest but I had totally ruled out our promotion last week.

I still have sympathy for the genuine Livi supporters out there who followed your club every week, however, at least there is still a club there to support which is the main thing really!!

On the other hand, I think its farcical that this decision has been taken so late in the day. I mean, even this time last week would have been better so we could have had a chance to strengthen the squad & build it up a bit. Instead the guys have spent all week prepping for a home game with Arbroath only to be met with an away trip to Dingwall this Saturday.

I'd much rather be playing 1st division football, of course but we are in for a nightmare season. We have a 16 man squad of senior players. Of those, Marc Smyth is recovering from a long term injury, Paul Lovering will be serving at least a 1 game ban after his red card on Saturday and injuries were sustained on Saturday by Scott McLaughlin, Frankie Lagana & Alan Trouten. I believe that potentially cuts our squad to 11 for Saturday.

Just hope we try & snap up guys like Simon Lynch, Stephen McKenna & any who may have been worth looking at on Livi's books!

EDITED:- ThisCharmingMan, where did you find the bit on our site that said there's no game on Sat? I did see a bit that said we won't be at home on Sat but as far as I was aware the game with County would go ahead instead?

Edited by thediamonddude

Another interesting point here... do Livingston enter the Scottish Cup in R2 or R3? If they go bust in the next couple of weeks, do 2 extra clubs get a bye from R1 into R2? The rules are unclear...

8. Clubs Exempt from Playing in Round One, Round Two and Round Three

Round One

The clubs which, in the current season, are members of The Scottish Premier League and The Scottish Football League, shall be exempt from playing in Round One.

The clubs which, in the previous season, have won the Scottish Highland Football League Championship, the East of Scotland Football League Championship and the South of Scotland Football League Championship shall also be exempt from playing in Round One, as shall the runners up in the Scottish Highland Football League Championship.

Round Two

The clubs which, in the current season, are members of The Scottish Premier League and those which participate in The Scottish Football League First and Second Division Championships, shall be exempt from playing in Round Two.

Round Three

The clubs which, in the previous season, were members of The Scottish Premier League and those clubs finishing in The Scottish Football League First Division league positions one to four, shall be exempt from playing in Round Three.

At least Livi were KO of both the other cups, which avoids any possible gaps in their later rounds...

EDIT TO ADD: Further to the issue of match postponements... any games put off due to appeal of the punishment will have to be played midweek. Will clubs be compensated for reduced revenue?

Edited by HibeeJibee

I'm being serious for a change!!

Livingston in their heyday were a breath of fresh air, yes they have been a bit reckless in their spending vis a vis taking Barry Wilson, McCulloch and that french canadian chancer/dancer from us and paying them £1400 a week basic when we were paying them £400.00 in the first div but they also gave me one of the best football days out when they beat us 4-3 in a great game.

I am sorry for their demise but it was inevitable that given the sorry state of scottish football that it would happen to a club and I'm surprised that more don't fall, especially in the central belt.

If there is an appeal the leagues cannot start.

Calling MCL: get it right fucking up you! :lol:

Commiserations to all decent Livi fans, but it's a fair punishment and you're back where you started in the SFL, maybe now you can truly start operating fairly and living within your means. Unfair on Airdrie and Cowdenbeath, they'll have a hard season, but Livingston shouldn't have been allowed to get away with it again.

Now to Saturday, this'll be interesting...