Livingston - all the threads merged

Is it that bad for Airdrie and Cowdenbeath though? Maybe for the fans, who were perhaps looking forward to succesful seasons, but Im not sure how its bad for the clubs.

They'll being paying wages at a level of the division lower than theyre playing in, while enjoying the revenues from the higher division. If they finish bottom and end up relegated, they'll be exactly where they are now, but in a years time.

Spot on. Surely it's a win-win financially?

What a fucking farce. Self-preservation wins again.

How so? I'd be interested in the explaination, because Ayr United were part of the S.F.L. decision today, and patently a 15 point deduction and no demotion would be far more in our interests.

I don't expect any sympathy for the institution that is Livingston FC but there are now players and staff who will almost certainly be made redundant as a result of that decision.

If some folk find that a cause for celebration then I think they need to have a serious word with themselves.

I don't find it a cause for celebration in the slightest, but I hope it's a wake up call for any other clubs (lets say in Tayside, for example :whistle ) that unsustainable continual debt will not be tolerated. Of course that's the S.F.L. set a precedent now, so I'd expect to see similar measures taken the next time this happens to a member club.

Apologies to the decent fans, but I'd like to say:

MCL - Where are you? Nothing to gloat about now? No profit on the horizon for you?

I don't expect any sympathy for the institution that is Livingston FC but there are now players and staff who will almost certainly be made redundant as a result of that decision.

If some folk find that a cause for celebration then I think they need to have a serious word with themselves.

Unbef***inglieveable, Liv not paying bills and trading whilst insolvent had nothing to do with this then. Relegation to the third did not make Livi employees redundant, spending money you did not have landed them in it. It was the actions of Livi owners not the SFL consquences to those actions that are to blame.

As I said earlier, I don't think it's the end for Livi and to be honest, this time last week they almost never had a club and most fans of the club would have bitten your hand off for their club still being alive, albeit in the 3rd Division. Regrouping in the third, they should have a decent chance of getting themselves back to the first within a few seasons. Certainly if these guys bite the bullet, then I would say they have a good chance of promotion this season.

You won't see these guys for dust now. Their plan was based on Livingston being a First Division club.

Don't try and make the non Livi supporters guilty. It's not as if we are celebrating the club going bust, we are celebrating (the long overdue) decision by the SFL to punish Livingston FC.

Relegation to the third division is a punishment duly deserved.

It's not about guilt. I am merely pointing out that there's a human cost to this decision.

Even if we survive there's no way you can pay full time wages in the Third Division so there's about 20 players on the dole for a start before you start thinking about backroom folk.

Thistle fans should know better IMHO.

I don't agree with the decision. I feel a hefty points deduction would have been sufficient given the stage we are at just now.

To promote two clubs less than three days before the start of the season is an absolute joke.

Airdrie and Cowdenbeath have spent a whole summer planning for title challenges and now, certainly in Airdrie's case, it will be a huge battle just to avoid relegation.

I think the comments in the media from McDougall/Rankine/McGruther were probably the tipping point for the SFL management committee. Being dictated to two weeks running was probably too much for them.

It will be interesting to see what they say. It will also be interesting to see what McDougall/Rankine do now.

I hope they don't appeal and instead just get on with it, if they really do want to be at Livi. The last thing we need on the opening day of the league season, a day every fan looks forward to, is games being postponed because of all this.

I agree it is not a cause for celebration and I will not celebrate it. However it was just.

In terms of the players and staff, the only people they should blame are the institution that they worked for - not the SFL.

I would hope that these guys that said they would turn Livi around are good to their word. If they don't, it tells you how serious they were about trying to save they club in the first place.

To be honest after the way the club and your so-called saviours have acted you do not deserve any sympathy. Whilst it's never good that folk may be made redundant, attempting to blackmail and hold the SFL to ransom has done yourselves no favours. If you think that that kind of behaviour is accpetable then you also need to have a serious word with yourself.

Who can be arsed finding MCL's gloating posts after last week's meeting and re-quoting them for some mild amusement?

However on the flip-side, it's good to see the blackmail pish coming from McDougall and Rankine has been met with a resounding GIRFUY.

Here's a few. He who laughs last and all of that :lol:

Ach, dry yer eyes. At least you stay at the seaside, handy for the league down there :lol:
Do those grapes taste sour ? :lol:
Cowdenbeath - the 4th force in Fife :lol:
Yet a league above Livingston
QUOTE (danlichtie @ Jul 30 2009, 19:50) post_snapback.gifWhy are the SFL so intent on keeping a shitty football team in a shitty little town alive?

Because it's easy and cheap to get to with good transport links and their wives can go shopping fairly cheaply in the nearby shopping centre ? :lol:

It would be great to think that "GIRFUY" would have been the actual words used by Longmuir.

I wonder if VikingTon's Dancing shoes are polished up yet?

I must say I'm surprised by the SFL's decision. I've long railed against them for being spineless imbeciles, but this decision took me completely off guard. Looks like they grew a backbone. Either that, or they had serious issues with the Business Plan.

I quoted SFL rule 76.2 earlier on the boards, thinking that was the rule that they were in contravention of. I didn't expect the SFL to enforce it to the extreme, however, although it was within their powers to do as they saw fit.

I haveserious reservations regarding Airdrie's re-promotion to the First. Black has built a team that he thought would be competing in the Second Division, and now, with three days until the start of the season, he has to radically rethink his tactics. I hope more funds are made available for him to pick up a few players worthy of playing in the First.

I hope this isn't the end for Livi, but a new, fresh beginning, free from all the chancers and idiots who have mismanaged them over the course of their existence. Good luck to them.

On a side note, I see that financial problems are not exclusive property of Scottish clubs. Argentina has suspended the start of their season, and of course, there were fears over the sustainability of EPL clubs' debts recently, highlighted by UEFA's David Taylor.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/8185095.stm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/7659077.stm

Unbef***inglieveable, Liv not paying bills and trading whilst insolvent had nothing to do with this then. Relegation to the third did not make Livi employees redundant, spending money you did not have landed them in it. It was the actions of Livi owners not the SFL consquences to those actions that are to blame.

What's the fucking point? :(

The SFL have surprised me once again. I cannot help but think that Rankine and McDougall backed the SFL into a corner over the past week. It has now rebounded on them quite spectacularly. However, I am sure we have not heard the last of this episode. Will they appeal? What Livi fans now need is a clear statement from Rankine and McDougall that they are in it for the long haul; without it, the club will die.

Edited so that it made some sense.

Edited by MB

It's not about guilt. I am merely pointing out that there's a human cost to this decision.

Even if we survive there's no way you can pay full time wages in the Third Division so there's about 20 players on the dole for a start before you start thinking about backroom folk.

I don't think could or would have maintained a full-time squad in the first division either though.

What's the fucking point? :(

Surely you must realise that your new investors have brought this on Livingston.

This would not have happened had they not been going on and on about what would happen if the SFA punished them, as if the SFA would be in the wrong for doing ANYTHING. Once again, the men in charge have put Livi in the situation they're in. Meet the new boss. Same as the old boss.

What a fucking farce. Self-preservation wins again.

No, self preservation was found out on this occasion.

You weren't too fussed last week when a bunch of guys with no link to youclub other than some polite comments sat down with Jim Leishman and his mates and said you were fine.

Airdrie and cowdenbeath will be looking for some decent players on the cheap..Maybe some swap deals in the pipeline.