Quick Question Thread

We got our annual bonus announced to us today, a healthy percentage which was bigger than most expected.  This year, though, the work had added in this attendance thing basically meaning that if you had a certain amount of days off sick then the percentage of the bonus you receive would be less (and it would increase depending on how long you were off for). Now, one of my colleagues was off roughly 9 months in the last year on maternity leave and she was informed today that she would only receive 21% of the bonus that was promised to everyone.  I find this a bit fucking shite, as does anyone else in the office.  

My question is (and I think I know the answer), is this legal?  Seems a bit unfair that she's being so heavily punished for having a child and it may cause others to think about having a kid if they might lose out so much financially.  Also, given that the work had temporarily employed someone else to cover her work while she was off (who won't receive a penny of this bonus) it seems to me that the work are just pocketing this.  

Employers tend to cover themselves with bonuses by saying in the contract of employment that they are completely discretionary.

It does sound a bit shit, but they are probably covered legally.

Employers tend to cover themselves with bonuses by saying in the contract of employment that they are completely discretionary.

It does sound a bit shit, but they are probably covered legally.

I thought as much. I just wasn't sure if you could legally state "maternity leave" as a reason for not paying someone what they're due, it wasn't exactly clear when they informed us of the bonus system that maternity leave would contribute towards your bonus.

Normally we negotiate a pay rise and a bonus at the same time and they delay giving us the wage rise until October to see how the company is sitting and if we're doing well they give us the wage rise and back date it to June.  This year, they've introduced the above bonus system, but at the same time they've told us that they can't offer us a wage rise.  Instead they've added about 1% onto the bonus to "make up for it" but of course we're receiving less than we would/should.  This doesn't sound too bad on its own but we made more profit last year than we ever have in my time working here and I've got a suspicion that we're being bumped here.

My question is (and I think I know the answer), is this legal?  Seems a bit unfair that she's being so heavily punished for having a child and it may cause others to think about having a kid if they might lose out so much financially.  Also, given that the work had temporarily employed someone else to cover her work while she was off (who won't receive a penny of this bonus) it seems to me that the work are just pocketing this.  

I'm sure that's something that never occurred to them   :whistle

(I'm out of electricity-related puns - someone cover for me)

Wee bit confused by the 'Would You Rather' thread. Is the idea that you post your most embarrassing sexual fantasy, then try to dream up the most repellent thing you aren't turned on by in order to mitigate your shame?

I'm guessing DA Baracus is struggling to find anything for the latter category   :P

Wee bit confused by the 'Would You Rather' thread. Is the idea that you post your most embarrassing sexual fantasy, then try to dream up the most repellent thing you aren't turned on by in order to mitigate your shame?

I'm guessing DA Baracus is struggling to find anything for the latter category   :P

There's plenty that doesn't turn me on.

I thought as much. I just wasn't sure if you could legally state "maternity leave" as a reason for not paying someone what they're due, it wasn't exactly clear when they informed us of the bonus system that maternity leave would contribute towards your bonus.

How can you be due 12 months of bonus when you aren't there for the full 12 months?

Would you be making the same argument for an employee that left the company after 3 months, or only joined in the last 3 months of the "bonus year"?

Haha - i have done a bit of floor tiling before which was easy enough but if I'm going to be saving up that much for materials i may as well get someone in to do it. Cant imagine labour being much over £200 for what I'm wanting.

How many square metres are you looking to cover? It can range between £15 - £20 a square metre.

Your adhesives, grout, spacers etc will cost a fair bit as well. Don't get the shitey stuff.

The bathroom walls will be 10 square meters, I'm going to do the bit right around the bath up to the ceiling then only about 1.5 meter high the rest of the room i think and then get a big mirror fitted above the sink. Don't see the need to tile right up to the ceiling for the entire room. Going to the floor in the sitting room which will be about 3-4 square meters as well.

Also want to get the kitchen done just around the sink and the cooker which will be about 2 square meters or a bit less.

The tiles i want for the bathroom are more like £30 - £50 per square meter so as i said the entire thing will cost about a grand i reckon.

Your sitting room floor will be more than 3-4 square metres. Unless you live in a cupboard.

Topps give out discounts and also price match. If you find a cheap alternative elsewhere get a quote and take it to Topps.

See if your account with Scottish Power is over a grand in credit, I'm assuming you can call them, and ask them to send you a cheque, aye?

Asking for a freind.

Heaters on full, open the windows for a couple days should clear that balance

Definitely. Happened to me with a shady lecky company called Spark who my letting agents forced me to use. They bumped my DD from £30 pm to £170 without telling me. Couldn't get through to them. So cancelled my DD and funnily enough they were phoning me every hour of the day. Anyway, after much persuasion, they sent me out the difference by cheque. I'd like to think Scottish Power would be a bit more reputable.