Quick Question Thread

It's a big issue unfortunately.

Schools and councils are finally catching on to what is being called 'the cost of the school day'.

P7 prom is a horrible trap because as a parent it's almost impossible to avoid. The best hope is that the school set down some ground rules to prevent folk going overboard and putting pressure on everyone else.

I almost ‘get’ the point of a leavers dance at high school, culmination of all your school life, saying goodbye to folks you will never really see again and celebrating the end of exams etc, thats fair do’s and hey most kids have a part time job to contribute to it. But P7? Ffs. I was actually texting one of my mates with older kids to ask if they had one, apparently kids even go to these in limos and stuff? Thats fucking mental.

I almost ‘get’ the point of a leavers dance at high school, culmination of all your school life, saying goodbye to folks you will never really see again and celebrating the end of exams etc, thats fair do’s and hey most kids have a part time job to contribute to it. But P7? Ffs. I was actually texting one of my mates with older kids to ask if they had one, apparently kids even go to these in limos and stuff? Thats fucking mental.

Oh yes, Limo booked too, another £25.

Managed to get the whole lot in H&M for £45.

Agree with your previous post, luckily we are in a position to spunk £70 on this. I know others that would seriously struggle and have to do the same next year for their other kid.

ETA, the high school has organised a team building day at Auchengillan after the summer too. Another £25 paid out this month.

Forgive me for sucking the fun out of this chat, but a leavers night for primary 7? Wtf is happening? They’re all going to see each other at high school anyway? Im probably really out of touch with this but isnt that just putting parents under a load of pressure to spend money they can’t actually afford?
One of the high schools where I grew up i found out is doing a school trip to Florida, a school trip to Disney world and Universal studios, the pressure on those parents must be mental.
Understand where you are coming from, but I don't have a problem with it as long as it's sensible.

Not everyone will be going to the same school, of the 10 P7s in my daughter's class, they are moving on to 4 different secondaries. Their leaving party was a night out at Wonder World at Kinning Park which was paid for by the parent's council. Proms for primary kids can get in the fucking sea tbf.

9 minutes ago, peasy23 said:

Understand where you are coming from, but I don't have a problem with it as long as it's sensible.

Not everyone will be going to the same school, of the 10 P7s in my daughter's class, they are moving on to 4 different secondaries. Their leaving party was a night out at Wonder World at Kinning Park which was paid for by the parent's council. Proms for primary kids can get in the fucking sea tbf.

We had a school dance when we left primary. We called it a 'Quali'. I got a new pair of trousers for it but that was it, And it was held in the school gym, not some posh hotel.

11 hours ago, pandarilla said:

It's a big issue unfortunately.

Schools and councils are finally catching on to what is being called 'the cost of the school day'.

P7 prom is a horrible trap because as a parent it's almost impossible to avoid. The best hope is that the school set down some ground rules to prevent folk going overboard and putting pressure on everyone else.

My bairn's school has a wee disco in the church hall for the P7s.

No frills or thrills.

At last, the Catholic church gets something right.

4 hours ago, Kennboy1978 said:

Oh yes, Limo booked too, another £25.

Managed to get the whole lot in H&M for £45.

Agree with your previous post, luckily we are in a position to spunk £70 on this. I know others that would seriously struggle and have to do the same next year for their other kid.

ETA, the high school has organised a team building day at Auchengillan after the summer too. Another £25 paid out this month.

Brilliant idea.

Let me introduce you to Jenkins from Harthill. He'll be taking your dinner money.

This is Smith, he leads off the gang you've been allocated to. What he says goes.

Heggie, is the village idiot, you can bully him, but get away quick, he can lash out sometimes.

Other than that, you're on your own!

1 minute ago, KnightswoodBear said:

Hypothetically, if I have a £100 voucher for a shop and have seen a pair of shoes at £140.  Would I be paying £140 for them or £40?

Asking for a friend.

The friend is me. 

Did your friend (you) receive the voucher as a gift or was it in lieu of services rendered (sexual or otherwise)?

3 minutes ago, KnightswoodBear said:

The voucher came from Emirates airmiles that I had to cash in. 

Hypothetically.

Just get them bought and tell her f**k all. You fucking shitebag. 

7 minutes ago, KnightswoodBear said:

Hypothetically, if I have a £100 voucher for a shop and have seen a pair of shoes at £140.  Would I be paying £140 for them or £40?

Asking for a friend.

The friend is me. 

Pics? Of the shoes.

4 minutes ago, Shandon Par said:

Very smart, though you could probably get an identical pair from Matalan for £30 and pocket the rest. 

Jones or Kurt Geiger or what?

Ted Baker.  And they do look really nice in the flesh.  There was a similar pair in Next but the quality was shit. 

Just now, KnightswoodBear said:

It's f**k all to do with her.  She regularly drops £170 odd quid on shoes.  It's the prudent Protestant in me that's asking. 

I've changed my mind having seen them. Far better things to spend a ton forty on.