Quick Question Thread

Has anyone tried curing fish at home? Raw/cured fish is possibly my favourite food, but unsure about how safe/easy it would be to do at home.

I have, it’s quite easy on fatty fish like salmon.
Salt & sugar mix, I also add white peppercorns (toasted) & citrus rind & a little chopped coriander, mix everything together & place fish on a bed of your mix & cover thoroughly, it needs to be quite thick “crust” cover with cling film & place something relatively heavy on top,I use a casserole dish. Then you wait for 2-3days, if the fish in not firm to the touch or you can still see moisture, back in for another day. It’s delicious.

5 hours ago, coprolite said:

right.

You need to notify HMRC that you have a self employment.  You need to keep a record of your fee income and expenses you incur in earning it. deduct expenses from income and you pay tax on the profit.

If you travel you can claim a reasonable proportion of your motoring costs. I would suggest keeping mileage records (it sounds like you might have) and apportioning business and non business costs. Eg you do 20,000 miles  a year and 4,000 of these for business, you have 20% business use so claim £60 of £300 insurance etc. For petrol use (miles  ÷ your cars reported fuel consumption mpg )× average price of fuel £/g.

claim all your materials stationary etc. as expenses. If you subscribe to any services for business purposes claim those (eg if you bought ms office for powerpoint- but not if you have sky and sometimes watch business related programs). if you get an itemised bill and pay for calls you can claim for phone use, but not if you use inclusive minutes on a personal phone.

If you use your home as an office for significant periods and incur costs you might not otherwise, you might be able to claim a bit of expense for "use of home as office" a pound or two a week is probably ok. Any more and you would need good reasons, records and calculations.

If you use any kit in your business you can claim 18% of the cost or value as capital allowances.  This is 8% for cars (unless emissions are below.  these percentages reduce for personal use ( in the car example above, you would be claiming 20% of the 8%, 1.6%. This is on a reducing balance, so in year 2 you claim 18 % of 82% etc. introduce pre existing assets at market value.

there is also an annual investment allowance up to £100k where you can expense the whole cost of equipment (not cars) that is entirely for business. if it's not entirely for business get professional advice (or don't bother unless it's worth at least a few hundred- the advice will cost more than the tax saving)

see, tax isn't dull

Cheers for all that mate, will take it all in to consideration. It's only a few K we're talking about so shouldn't take long to work out. I can filter earnings via my online banking and I have a record of all my journeys which constitute to around a quarter of my car's overall yearly mileage. Apart from that I spend around £10 a month on stationary/equipment costs. I sometimes pay for parking but don't have proof of this.

Thanks again.

4 hours ago, Boghead ranter said:

All that to deliver pizzas.

I wish it was that simple !

44 minutes ago, Brother Blades said:

I have, it’s quite easy on fatty fish like salmon.
Salt & sugar mix, I also add white peppercorns (toasted) & citrus rind & a little chopped coriander, mix everything together & place fish on a bed of your mix & cover thoroughly, it needs to be quite thick “crust” cover with cling film & place something relatively heavy on top,I use a casserole dish. Then you wait for 2-3days, if the fish in not firm to the touch or you can still see moisture, back in for another day. It’s delicious.

Cheers. The main worry is that I do it wrong and end up shitting my pants for days, but I’m assuming if I go to a decent fishmongers then I should be okay.

1 minute ago, Bairnardo said:

You will be absolutely fine with curing, if you want to eat raw fish you probably best go somewhere and get sushi-grade stuff. Having said that, like you I love this type of stuff and always have a wee slice off a bit of most fish raw before I cook it. Never has done me any harm. 

How do you know if it’s sushi-grade? Are there specific fishmongers that do it?

3 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

Cheers. The main worry is that I do it wrong and end up shitting my pants for days, but I’m assuming if I go to a decent fishmongers then I should be okay.

Don't think a fishmonger would appreciate you shitting there either. Ha Ha Ha... :saddam

Having done a bit of googling it appears that if you go into a decent fishmonger they should advise you on what’s safe to eat cured or raw (I love ceviche so would quite like to make that as well), although not sure if I trust a Glaswegian fishmonger not to sell me whatever they can. It apparently has to be frozen to -4 for 7 days to kill the bacteria, so think I’ll get some fish from a fishmonger and freeze it for a week and surely to Christ that’ll do.

12 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

Having done a bit of googling it appears that if you go into a decent fishmonger they should advise you on what’s safe to eat cured or raw (I love ceviche so would quite like to make that as well), although not sure if I trust a Glaswegian fishmonger not to sell me whatever they can. It apparently has to be frozen to -4 for 7 days to kill the bacteria, so think I’ll get some fish from a fishmonger and freeze it for a week and surely to Christ that’ll do.

Be on the safe side by scraping the breadcrumbs off frozen fishfingers and use the fishy bit in the middle.

Where do you live?

If you are near the West End, this is the plaice to go.lol

I asked about ceviche there one day & the guy was really knowledgable and advised not to ceviche that days stock (white fish) as it had come from Peterhead, as opposed to same day catch on west coast. But said if I came back the next day he could supply very fresh- I guess local catch & not trawlered.

https://www.visitwestend.com/shopping/the-fish-plaice

I used to go here, 

http://fishplaice.com

There used to be some scary sights. Much worse than the minnins that River Monster twat goes on about.

They do game as well and there was always a few carcasses hanging outside.

Edited by Sergeant Wilson