Quick Question Thread

51 minutes ago, BFTD said:

I've heard the same for Japanese people - the volume of dairy products that we consume make us smell like sour milk to people from other parts of the world. As we're going for odd cultural phenomena, I've also heard that the average height in Japan increased by 4"-5" over the course of the 20th century, with a particular jump in the years following WWII due to the popularity of the red meat-based diet that the Americans brought with them.

Might explain this as well.

GIF girl power girl weird - animated GIF on GIFER

3 hours ago, hearthammer said:

Milk spilled in my fridge due to a burst (?) plastic milk bottle about a week ago.  I cleaned it as soon as i noticed, but the guff of sour milk was horrific in the following days.  I emptied the fridge and washed all the shelves, walls, storage boxes, etc, but the guff was still there.  I ordered some "fridge fresheners" online and they have been in place, along with 2 halves of lemon, for about 2 days.  The guff is still there, although not as strong as earlier, especially on the first door opening in the morning.

Any miracle cures or advice about getting rid of the guff ??  Maybe the "fresheners" take a few days to be effective, but other than doing another deep clean, i don't know what to do.

Cheers

wash with vinegar and put a bowl of soda crystals on the shelf to absorb the smell

4 minutes ago, aaa said:

wash with vinegar and put a bowl of soda crystals on the shelf to absorb the smell

Have tried the anti-bacterial spray but too early to see if it's worked 100%.  Will get and try the soda crystals if not gone by tomorrow.

Cheers 

On 17/03/2021 at 13:41, hearthammer said:

How would you describe the smell of sour milk ??   Milk scent ??

Tis no more than a descriptive and not worth getting hung up about.

Thanks for your contribution though.

Warm water and bleach down the bung hole (steady now!) at the back of the fridge. There will be a wee drain hole inside the fridge low down. Pouring cleaning stuff in there will help circulate cleaner air.

There will also be a tray under the fridge, hidden away. The milk may have seeped into it so putting the cleaning stuff in that hole will land it in with the milk and eventually it should all evaporate. Or, it may take some unscrewing but you could carefully take this tray out and pour away whatever manly liquid is swilling in there.

Chopping some lemon slices into a bowl of water and leaving it in the fridge will help too.

ETA - the drain hole may have a cap/stopper in it that just pulls out. 

Edited by Shandon Par Decorator

6 minutes ago, Shandon Par Decorator said:

Warm water and bleach down the bung hole (steady now!) at the back of the fridge. There will be a week drain hole inside the fridge low down. Pouring cleaning stuff in there will help circulate cleaner air.

There will also be a tray under the fridge, hidden away. The milk may have seeped into it so putting the cleaning stuff in that hole will land it in with the milk and eventually it should all evaporate. Or, it may take some unscrewing but you could carefully take this tray out and pour away whatever manly liquid is swilling in there.

Chopping some lemon slices into a bowl of water and leaving it in the fridge will help too.

Cheers.  Have done the lemons in a bowl of water and will leave overnight.  I had already placed 2 x half lemons in the fridge, but as they were without the water.

Over the weekend i'll monitor the "milk scent" and try the warm water and bleach as necessary.

Thanks

28 minutes ago, DiegoDiego said:

See when you're filling in a job application where you need to include all 25 jobs you've ever had, as well as any period of unemployment, is it too disingenuous to put yourself down as "Housekeeper" when you were on the dole?

Xgc-TwS7z93aHQhsGDF8sExX0zU=.gif

47 minutes ago, DiegoDiego said:

See when you're filling in a job application where you need to include all 25 jobs you've ever had, as well as any period of unemployment, is it too disingenuous to put yourself down as "Housekeeper" when you were on the dole?

Just lie. Are they really going to check that far back?

What business is it of theirs that you might have had any periods of unemployment? So what? Doesn't mean anything. Hate companies who think it does.

Just lie. Are they really going to check that far back?
What business is it of theirs that you might have had any periods of unemployment? So what? Doesn't mean anything. Hate companies who think it does.
Yeah, probably the simplest course of action. It's a bit frustrating because I've been headhunted by my old boss of a few years back so the job should (fingers crossed) be mine, but everything has to be done by the book via head office.

1 hour ago, DiegoDiego said:

How far do you go back?  What about school grades?  Honestly, it is probably only the last ten years that are relevant.  Just indicate the year you started each job, probably no need to give the month and day.

Maybe if you are unemployed most of the time then they might wonder if you really want a job or might quit at the slightest push.  The occasional gap is of no importance.

Tell them a lot about your most recent job and reduce the detail as you go back.  Also list the jobs in reverse order if possible.  Most recent first.

How far do you go back?  What about school grades?  Honestly, it is probably only the last ten years that are relevant.  Just indicate the year you started each job, probably no need to give the month and day.
Maybe if you are unemployed most of the time then they might wonder if you really want a job or might quit at the slightest push.  The occasional gap is of no importance.
Tell them a lot about your most recent job and reduce the detail as you go back.  Also list the jobs in reverse order if possible.  Most recent first.
Unfortunately it's a rigid application form, they ask for school grades as well.

1 minute ago, DiegoDiego said:
7 minutes ago, Fullerene said:

Unfortunately it's a rigid application form, they ask for school grades as well.

What the f**k are you applying for here?

1 hour ago, DiegoDiego said:

Literally just make something up. You needed to take time off to care for your kids, or a sick relative. Maybe you went travelling to Borneo and volunteered as a football coach. You were a self-employed polymath. Who's to say otherwise?

I don't know what it's like now, but the advice from CV doctors in years gone by was that periods of unemployment are death - always come up with something to fill the gap so you don't have to put 'unemployed', even if it's that you started your own business knitting socks for cats.

50 minutes ago, DiegoDiego said:

People get all hung up on details. Like which school did I go to? How many grades did I get? Could be like six. Could be none. It's not important.

2 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

People get all hung up on details. Like which school did I go to? How many grades did I get? Could be like six. Could be none. It's not important.

There was a guy years ago at work made all sort of claims in his CV, he got the job and was doing quite well until 3 years later he applied for money from the training budget to do an HND, which coincidentally he claimed he had on his CV.

Folk got reamed stupid for not checking, he resigned and the checking process was  tightened up  implemented.

11 minutes ago, DiegoDiego said:
55 minutes ago, Miguel Sanchez said:
What the f**k are you applying for here?

Minimum wage gruntwork.

That's something that stews my prunes - employers who insist on a detailed autobiography for the kind of jobs that barely require anything more than a quick once-over and maybe a call to a prior employer. Generally a good indicator that they're going to be an absolute arseache to work for.

That's something that stews my prunes - employers who insist on a detailed autobiography for the kind of jobs that barely require anything more than a quick once-over and maybe a call to a prior employer. Generally a good indicator that they're going to be an absolute arseache to work for.
I've worked there before and really enjoyed it. The bureaucracy doesn't quite reach the lowest ring of the ladder and it's pretty relaxed. My boss (good c**t) had a tonne of unnecessary box checking and arse covering to do though.