Quick Question Thread

I was actually in this situation many years ago. My mate was done for drink-driving (I was actually in the car when he was pulled over; had to fuckin' walk home) and after he was banned he carried on driving. And I didn't report him. 

Sorry but this is just bollocks. Does this just go for crime or if you saw a fire would you say "I'm not a fireman" and let someone's house burn down? If you saw someone collapsed on the pavement, I assume you'd walk by and potentially let them die as you're not a paramedic?

What a fucking stupid comparison.

I see that no-one has taken up my point about a car doing over 90 on the motorway? It's a much closer analogy.

There appears to be a lot of big talk on this thread so would folk be contacting the police in those situations?

Bearing in mind my initial answer was that i would report the guy if i knew he was drink driving, after previously been banned for it.

The driver might have being doing the sensible thing and sleeping it off in the back of the car when he got done, and be driving someone to hospital when he was spotted later. Maybe unlikely, but I wouldn't intervene without knowing all the facts, unless he was drunk driving.

Shopping the c**t in is absolutely the correct thing to do. Bet not many of us, even those in agreement, would actually take the step to make the call though. Society is shite. The rules re being a grass are so murky that most folk just dont bother even if they know it's right.

1 hour ago, pandarilla said:

What a fucking stupid comparison.

I see that no-one has taken up my point about a car doing over 90 on the motorway? It's a much closer analogy.

There appears to be a lot of big talk on this thread so would folk be contacting the police in those situations?

Bearing in mind my initial answer was that i would report the guy if i knew he was drink driving, after previously been banned for it.

It's not stupid at all. You have previous knowledge that Harry Clarke shouldn't be behind a wheel, just like the banned person Philpy talks about. Both are fatal crashes waiting to happen. You think that comparison is stupid yet you're comparing a banned uninsured driver getting behind the wheel to someone doing 20mph over the limit?

If we were to phone up the polis every time we saw someone speeding the police would likely tell us where to go, they can't enforce anything without evidence of speeding. If you report that you've witnessed a banned driver getting into his car then they may actually be able to follow that up and find evidence.

You'd have no way of knowing he was over the limit, so this "I'd shop him in if I knew he was drunk" is a cop out too.

Said driver was banned for driving a car while drunk. Contravention of Section 5 of the Road Traffic Act 1988.

We ban drivers for being drunk as they are a danger to other people and can potentially cause fatal accidents. Similarly there are a lot of buggers driving about high on drugs which might be even worse that drunk driving. 

Being banned also invalidates any insurance as pointed out. It is an offence to drive without insurance (Section 143). It is an offence to drive without a licence being in place (Section 87). Said driver is therefore committing two offences. 

As someone who wishes to see adults who ride on the pavement castrated and superglued to a tree then I would definitely dob in someone who committed two offences. 

I'm awful for proof reading something and then very quickly noticing errors once it's been posted. Of particular note is when I think I've nailed it in Word, but then notice a heap of them as soon as I read it in pdf form. 

Is there some sort of psychological reason for this? 'Predictive modelling', or sheer incompetence? 

Just tell someone else that you know will call the police, you don't have to worry about directly betraying your poor misunderstood friend and you also don't have to worry about him killing people due to his selfish antics.  

14 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

I'm awful for proof reading something and then very quickly noticing errors once it's been posted. Of particular note is when I think I've nailed it in Word, but then notice a heap of them as soon as I read it in pdf form. 

Is there some sort of psychological reason for this? 'Predictive modelling', or sheer incompetence? 

Snap.  Think it’s because you’ve looked at it so long in Word that you only see what you think you want to see and only the minor change (font/size/colour? I dunno) into .pdf immediately makes it stand out. 

15 hours ago, Raidernation said:

FFS guys, if he’s banned he’s UNINSURED!

Get him off the road before he costs someone money if not their life

Would you shop someone because they were driving around without an MOT and/or car tax, either of which would invalidate their insurance?

3 hours ago, welshbairn said:

The driver might have being doing the sensible thing and sleeping it off in the back of the car when he got done, and be driving someone to hospital when he was spotted later. Maybe unlikely, but I wouldn't intervene without knowing all the facts, unless he was drunk driving.

Apologies if I've told this before on here.

A guy I knew some years ago worked for an undertaker. He had to go down south with an empty hearse to collect a couple of coffins. Heading for home in the wee sma' hours he began to feel drowsy so pulled into a motorway service area, and parked in a quiet corner where there were no other cars nearby. Unable to get comfortable in the driver's seat, he decided to stretch out in the nicely padded coffin behind him. He was effectively "dead to the world" for several hours, but when he awoke there were 2 cars parked either on side of him. The expressions on the faces of the occupants of these cars, he assured me were utterly priceless, as he sat up from his coffin, before slipping into the driver's seat and driving off!

2 hours ago, Hedgecutter said:

Disgraceful.

Edited just now by Fullerene🙂

Would you shop someone because they were driving around without an MOT and/or car tax, either of which would invalidate their insurance?
I had no idea the wee clique on here were so keen on grassing folk up.

Of course the truth is that more likely they're all talk, and don't actually go phoning the polis whenever they see offences taking place.