Quick Question Thread

YouTube just AutoPlayed a video about a volcano, which threw the phrase "hot slag" around like billy-o, which made me wonder: how did "slag" end up being used to describe a sexually promiscuous woman? Or the act of speaking derogatorily about somebody, thinking about it.

"Airborne ash" was also mentioned a few times, which sounded like something Sean Connery would brag about receiving on a long-haul flight to the States.

2 minutes ago, BFTD said:

YouTube just AutoPlayed a video about a volcano, which threw the phrase "hot slag" around like billy-o, which made me wonder: how did "slag" end up being used to describe a sexually promiscuous woman? Or the act of speaking derogatorily about somebody, thinking about it.

"Airborne ash" was also mentioned a few times, which sounded like something Sean Connery would brag about receiving on a long-haul flight to the States.

Slag is residue from smelting ore, git is residue from pouring iron or other metals into a mould, it is the funnel or connecting parts to the main part of the cast, hence useless git.

Maybe metal workers have a lot to answer for.

17 minutes ago, Zen Archer (Raconteur) said:

Slag is residue from smelting ore, git is residue from pouring iron or other metals into a mould, it is the funnel or connecting parts to the main part of the cast, hence useless git.

Maybe metal workers have a lot to answer for.

I never knew that's what git was; when I was wee, I think I just assumed it was an abbreviation of something else, and thought no more about it.

I've recently been encouraged to visit GitHub, and was relieved to find it's because I started programming, and not one of those age-based insults that Granny Danger loathes so much. The auld git.

2 minutes ago, BFTD said:

I never knew that's what git was; when I was wee, I think I just assumed it was an abbreviation of something else, and thought no more about it.

I've recently been encouraged to visit GitHub, and was relieved to find it's because I started programming, and not one of those age-based insults that Granny Danger loathes so much. The auld git.

The Monkees had a hit with Randy Scouse Git, the title gleaned from a British sit-com, which in the UK due to censorship was renamed Alternate Title.

It was originally a quote by Warren Mitchell's character Alf Garnett in Till Death Us Do Part regarding his daughter's boyfriend Mike played by Tony Booth.

2 hours ago, BFTD said:

Similarly, workers were often required to provide their own tools.

If they were dismissed, their tools might be put in a sack and handed back to them.  Alternatively the tools would be thrown on the fire, never to be used again.

10 hours ago, Zen Archer (Raconteur) said:

The Monkees had a hit with Randy Scouse Git, the title gleaned from a British sit-com, which in the UK due to censorship was renamed Alternate Title.

It was originally a quote by Warren Mitchell's character Alf Garnett in Till Death Us Do Part regarding his daughter's boyfriend Mike played by Tony Booth.

WIWAL we thought Alf was saying "Skaskit" and used that as an insult.

8 hours ago, Fullerene said:

Similarly, workers were often required to provide their own tools.

If they were dismissed, their tools might be put in a sack and handed back to them.  Alternatively the tools would be thrown on the fire, never to be used again.

I'm guessing that's where the term to get the sack originated. 

There's a very strong chance that I could be changing jobs, I have 8 days holidays booked, will I have to use them as part of my month's notice?? Also we have to keep 10 days off our allocation for Xmas and new year, would they count as well??

17 minutes ago, philpy said:

I have 8 days holidays booked, will I have to use them as part of my month's notice?? 

No. They can't make you take your holidays as your notice period. 

Edit : I'm assuming your holidays are booked outwith your notice period.

And anyway, give them a weeks notice. 

Edited by Mr. Alli

10 minutes ago, Mr. Alli said:

No. They can't make you take your holidays as your notice period. 

Edit : I'm assuming your holidays are booked outwith your notice period.

And anyway, give them a weeks notice. 

Cheers for clearing that up. Although I'd be quite happy to take them as part of my notice, considering I'm on the 2nd week of 2 weeks holiday just now 😂😂. I thought you have to give a month's notice?? I've been there 10 years.

Just now, philpy said:

I thought you have to give a month's notice?? I've been there 10 years.

My old work was a week for every year over 2 years. No way was I giving them 9 weeks. They can't keep money that is owed to you. Once you secure your start date it's entirely down to you and how you want them to view you after you leave. 

If it's been that toxic and harmful to you, go out with a win. One weeks notice. 

4 minutes ago, Mr. Alli said:

My old work was a week for every year over 2 years. No way was I giving them 9 weeks. They can't keep money that is owed to you. Once you secure your start date it's entirely down to you and how you want them to view you after you leave. 

If it's been that toxic and harmful to you, go out with a win. One weeks notice. 

I might Just do that, especially now I've realised it would mean i missed the stocktake at the end of the month 😅 

11 hours ago, philpy said:

There's a very strong chance that I could be changing jobs, I have 8 days holidays booked, will I have to use them as part of my month's notice?? Also we have to keep 10 days off our allocation for Xmas and new year, would they count as well??

Have you accrued the holidays though? Normally if you leave partway through a leave year, you get a proportional amount of the statutory holidays. So if you've used fewer, you'd be entitled to be paid for them, but if you've used more then you'd be expected to pay them back. It depends when your year runs.

11 hours ago, philpy said:

I might Just do that, especially now I've realised it would mean i missed the stocktake at the end of the month 😅 

Check your contract - that will almost certainly say what notice is required.  If you quit with less they could withhold payments but only if the contract says they can do so.

I regularly handle a number of slags. I’m fact today, I’m going to be showing some parents and their kids pictures of slags. I regularly have folk phoning me up to ask questions about slags. Love a good slag.

ETA I can get lots of different slags for free. I’ve even got some in my shed.

Edited by Melanius Mullarkay

48 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkay said:

I regularly handle a number of slags. I’m fact today, I’m going to be showing some parents and their kids pictures of slags. I regularly have folk phoning me up to ask questions about slags. Love a good slag.

We know, you've been going on about ogling them outside the school gates for years.

Edit: that sounds worse than intended. For clarity, MM probably only has legal-age milfy gym slags locked up in his shed.

Edited by BFTD

48 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkay said:

You facking slaaaaaag

2 hours ago, Melanius Mullarkay said:

This is somewhat less subtle than your usual work tbh