Quick Question Thread

3 minutes ago, Derry Alli said:

Her name is Katheryn Celeste. I run by a video of her on Twitter, best dat of my life.

You're welcome.

1419d505965c6600a94a6ffdc708f7db.thumb.jpg.6a828d095dd4245da5a3a66b488a9174.jpg

wZcLtLJ.thumb.jpg.7a99cc8ca973e8c9216ce4ef76be13b6.jpg

Yeehaw, partner. :cowboy

This is exactly what pnb is for, none of that pishe over on the twitter of shug eedy threads.

thanks alli, see you all in an hour. (printed photo) soap myself up, off for a shower.

What’s the best way to loosen/remove year plus old acrylic paint from a concrete surface. Some is loosened, and I was able to scrape that, but a decent amount is still hanging on. We’ll be painting the parking spot in a couple of weeks, but if there’s a sneaky way to clear it up to plain concrete…paging @Melanius Mullarkay?

8 hours ago, TxRover said:

What’s the best way to loosen/remove year plus old acrylic paint from a concrete surface. Some is loosened, and I was able to scrape that, but a decent amount is still hanging on. We’ll be painting the parking spot in a couple of weeks, but if there’s a sneaky way to clear it up to plain concrete…paging @Melanius Mullarkay?

f**k knows, some paint stripper. Not acidic though. Alkaline if possible. 

And don’t paint concrete you monster.

14 hours ago, TxRover said:

Have you tried using a wire brush? And if it’s that well stuck, can’t you just paint over it?

5 hours ago, Melanius Mullarkay said:

f**k knows, some paint stripper. Not acidic though. Alkaline if possible. 

And don’t paint concrete you monster.

I’d agree, but it’s a “thing” here. Students in their senior year can get an assigned parking spot that they decorate with paint. Will research accordingly.

25 minutes ago, Derry Alli said:

What is 'creamer' and why do Americans use it?

I know it's a powder milk type solution but why do they specifically buy it in shops - why not just buy milk?

Because they want convenience and not having to worry about putting stuff in the fridge, hence the either “non-dairy creamer” or powdered (shelf-stable) creamer sitting on every table at a restaurant. The non-dairy stuff is mainly water, sugar and vegetable oil…yummy, eh? When the “average” consumer is an uneducated moron, you can sell them on damn near anything if it seems “an improvement”. It’s also flammable…

10 minutes ago, Shandon Par said:

Have you tried using a wire brush? And if it’s that well stuck, can’t you just paint over it?

Unfortunately, there is a two weekend designated period to “decorate” the spots, and it’s not that well stuck on. I’ve snuck around  and whipped off most the loosest stuff (while avoiding a neat taser demo video for P&B), but it’s large and layered. It will fail, it will peel, but I’d just like to have an easy solution to loosen the worst of it, especially as the base is currently black.

1 hour ago, TxRover said:

Unfortunately, there is a two weekend designated period to “decorate” the spots, and it’s not that well stuck on. I’ve snuck around  and whipped off most the loosest stuff (while avoiding a neat taser demo video for P&B), but it’s large and layered. It will fail, it will peel, but I’d just like to have an easy solution to loosen the worst of it, especially as the base is currently black.

A paint stripper should do it. Or, follow the lead of my neighbour and get some road workers to come along with some big machine and scrape about an inch off the pavement.

3 hours ago, Shandon Par said:

A paint stripper should do it. Or, follow the lead of my neighbour and get some road workers to come along with some big machine and scrape about an inch off the pavement.

Yea, the issue would be the clear evidence I’d been mucking about outside of hours, since the lot is technically “private property”. I was afraid it was gonna be paint and pray, and it is. I’ll just take a few opportunities to whip around, off any flaky spots and take my chances.

24 minutes ago, TxRover said:

Yea, the issue would be the clear evidence I’d been mucking about outside of hours, since the lot is technically “private property”. I was afraid it was gonna be paint and pray, and it is. I’ll just take a few opportunities to whip around, off any flaky spots and take my chances.

I barely understand a lot of your points (mainly due to it being America) but if it's your lot to paint, why would you be time limited to decorate it? I get the fortnight period, but can you only do it in office hours?

Is it even your 'spot'?

39 minutes ago, TxRover said:

You could slap a bit of something like Gardz or a stabilising solution (or stabilizing as you Raith fans would say) to effectively seal in the old paint and give a solid base for new stuff. Or get some grey felt pen and colour in the existing stuff so it’s not obvious.

As mentioned paint stripper / remover. Something like this . Need to use the translation function in your browser. What I linked to is based on DiMethyl Sulfoxide & Butyl Acetate.

Another option would be sanding it.

Edited by German Jag

4 hours ago, Derry Alli said:

I barely understand a lot of your points (mainly due to it being America) but if it's your lot to paint, why would you be time limited to decorate it? I get the fortnight period, but can you only do it in office hours?

Is it even your 'spot'?

It’s a parking spot “purchased” for use during the 2023-2024 School Year.

They allocate four days during which everyone can paint their spots, otherwise the lot is in use for public events and summer school activities.

4 hours ago, Shandon Par said:

You could slap a bit of something like Gardz or a stabilising solution (or stabilizing as you Raith fans would say) to effectively seal in the old paint and give a solid base for new stuff. Or get some grey felt pen and colour in the existing stuff so it’s not obvious.

Kilz would seem to be the best choice if I elect to basecoat with a covering layer, not a bad idea.

4 hours ago, German Jag said:

As mentioned paint stripper / remover. Something like this . Need to use the translation function in your browser. What I linked to is based on DiMethyl Sulfoxide & Butyl Acetate.

Another option would be sanding it.

Yea, sanding is specifically prohibited, scraping supposed to be limited to those four days…they don’t want any damage, so every stripper I looked at (insert meme here) is a no go due to time and obvious nature. I was hoping there might be a magic way to lift the old paint with something that would wick under it…oh well.

2 hours ago, scottsdad said:

f**k chemicals. Power washing is your friend. 

Agree, but prohibited, and too obvious to try to sneak in and do.

53 minutes ago, tamthebam said:

Just spray paint an enormous cock and balls. Someone will be offended, the local authority will have to remove it and you can repaint your space after the fuss has died down 

Correct, but then the parking privileges are removed for the year…it would resolve the issue though.

10 hours ago, tamthebam said:

Just spray paint an enormous cock and balls. Someone will be offended, the local authority will have to remove it and you can repaint your space after the fuss has died down 

9 hours ago, TxRover said:

Correct, but then the parking privileges are removed for the year…it would resolve the issue though.

Then paint it on somebody else's space then take it over after their parking privileges have been removed.

2 minutes ago, jimbaxters said:

Are we getting House of Games back tonight now that that Wimbledon nonsense is over?

Yep - Champion of Champions edition with Angela Barnes, Kemah Bob, Ade Edmondson and his daughter Beattie

3 minutes ago, GordonD said:

Yep - Champion of Champions edition with Angela Barnes, Kemah Bob, Ade Edmondson and his daughter Beattie

Yasss!  Except the vacuous Kemah Bob, with her put on laugh.

Angela Barnes is the best I have ever seen at the game. She will win that by a distance.

In all honesty, I was a wee bit worried Osman was the Presenter in Pants. Thought this show would be lost forever.

Edited by jimbaxters

6 hours ago, jimbaxters said:

Are we getting House of Games back tonight now that that Wimbledon nonsense is over?

6 hours ago, GordonD said:

5 hours ago, jimbaxters said:

Yasss!  Except the vacuous Kemah Bob, with her put on laugh.

Angela Barnes is the best I have ever seen at the game. She will win that by a distance.

In all honesty, I was a wee bit worried Osman was the Presenter in Pants. Thought this show would be lost forever.

It's more repeats for another week or two yet - they've been recording a ton of episodes recently so new ones will be on soon.