Quick Question Thread

49 minutes ago, paranoid android said:

Can you still get Scott's Porage Oats?

All I can see in shops is that Quaker pish.

Who'd have thought Quaker Pish would be so popular? 

A quick search on google suggests the brand is still available.

Scotts had a factory just outside Cupar, but were taken over by Quaker's years ago, chances are, you get the same stuff in different packages.

The shot putter on Scott's Porridge Oats boxes was first used in 1924. Based on a soldier in Dreghorn Barracks the original design was by Tom Curr.

Curr also came up with the artwork for the Buttercup Dairy Company which you can still see in various places in South East Scotland. He also did match cartoons for the Evening News. 

12 minutes ago, tamthebam said:

The shot putter on Scott's Porridge Oats boxes was first used in 1924. Based on a soldier in Dreghorn Barracks the original design was by Tom Curr.

Curr also came up with the artwork for the Buttercup Dairy Company which you can still see in various places in South East Scotland. He also did match cartoons for the Evening News. 

All very well, but what school did he go to?

NSC_THIM_AS269-001.jpg

Edited by welshbairn

20 hours ago, tamthebam said:

The gut who played him in the adverts was Rory McCann who also played The Hound in Game of Thrones and Lurch in Hot Fuzz.

On 17/10/2022 at 16:05, Honest_Man#1 said:

I had a flight booked with Qatar Airways, in which they changed one of the legs by 6 hours or so and made it unworkable. I had an online chat with them, and eventually they agreed that because they’d changed the flight I could cancel and would not be charged the standard cancellation fees of about £200 per ticket (and therefore would get full value back as a refund). Kept the chat log, because as I expected when I did cancel I was charged the fees so I’m missing about £400 of the refund. I opened a case with them and provided the chat log showing then agreeing that I wouldn’t be charged cancellation, but it’s been nearly a month and have yet to have any update.

Should I go to the ombudsman, or is there any better way to get this moving?

This is properly winding me up now. They responded back that they had already sent the refund, so when I clarified that they had sent a partial refund, not the full refund as they had promised (along with the evidence of the conversation confirming it) they have then gone back to ignoring me. They have also ignored my social media attempt to get a response.

Looked up the financial ombudsman and doesn’t look like they deal with airlines so no idea where to go to get my £400 back.

4 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

This is properly winding me up now. They responded back that they had already sent the refund, so when I clarified that they had sent a partial refund, not the full refund as they had promised (along with the evidence of the conversation confirming it) they have then gone back to ignoring me. They have also ignored my social media attempt to get a response.

Looked up the financial ombudsman and doesn’t look like they deal with airlines so no idea where to go to get my £400 back.

You could try a charge back on the card you used.

1 hour ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

Raise a complaint with ABTA.

https://www.abta.com/help-and-complaints/customer-support/register-a-complaint

Assuming you flew with an airline that's an ABTA member.

First thing ABTA will do is pass the complaint to the Airline for their resolution and comment, but they'll also set a timescale* for the Airline taking action, plus the timescale will also include a requirement for updating ABTA with what's happening. 

*Timescale won't be very quick, be a wear. But at least it should move things on a little. 

7 minutes ago, Boghead ranter said:

First thing ABTA will do is pass the complaint to the Airline for their resolution and comment, but they'll also set a timescale* for the Airline taking action, plus the timescale will also include a requirement for updating ABTA with what's happening. 

*Timescale won't be very quick, be a wear. But at least it should move things on a little. 

Just read back, and see its Qatar.

Might need to do same process with IATA.

11 minutes ago, Boghead ranter said:

Think ABTA only works for package holidays, not for flights on their own.

Assuming you paid with a credit card your safest bet would be to make a Section 75 claim from your credit card company. MSE explain the process pretty well - https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/reclaim/section75-protect-your-purchases/

On 12/10/2022 at 13:00, johnnydun said:

Of course that's not it. That was fuckin awful.

This is in no way a thinly disguised way of posting a video of the wonderful Anita and her spacey outfit. Could you have confused space with a pinball machine?

42 minutes ago, Shandon Par said:

This is in no way a thinly disguised way of posting a video of the wonderful Anita and her spacey outfit. Could you have confused space with a pinball machine?

No no, no no no no, no no no no. That's not it.

More late 90's early 2000's.