Quick Question Thread

4 hours ago, BFTD said:

In the digital age, how do people leave important information to their families in the event that they die?

A while ago, I had to go through an elderly relative's house after he died, and we discovered pretty much everything about his life from the paperwork he had stashed around the place - bank statements, investments, etc. It just occurred to me that, if I get hit by a bus tomorrow, my family would have no way of finding similar information for me as it's all digital, with everything stored behind passwords. I used a will service a couple of years ago, but they only asked for instructions on who my immense personal fortune was to be left to, and it would be a bit weird to have given them account details and suchlike anyway, not to mention pointless for someone who moves their savings around on a regular basis.

So how do people leave information about accounts and passwords to inheritors? Leaving a list stashed around the house somewhere seems like a terrible idea, considering you could be robbed, or die in a house fire, or the information could be missed when the house is being cleared out (it's not uncommon for cash savings to end up in the hands of house clearance firms or charity shops because the deceased hid their money a little too well). I trust my son enough to give him the information now, but not enough not to leave it lying at his arse somewhere it could be found.

Presumably you have a solicitor who has a copy of your will.

Supply them with a "Letter of Wishes" that will provide all the information you want to pass on to others.

1 hour ago, Fullerene said:

Presumably you have a solicitor who has a copy of your will.

Supply them with a "Letter of Wishes" that will provide all the information you want to pass on to others.

If you change the location of your investments on a regular basis, presumably they'll charge a fee when you update the letter?

Silly question; I think my last brief charged for oxygen and rental of space during ten minute meetings.

14 minutes ago, BFTD said:

If you change the location of your investments on a regular basis, presumably they'll charge a fee when you update the letter?

Silly question; I think my last brief charged for oxygen and rental of space during ten minute meetings.

You don't need to leave passwords, which would be illegal for your son to use anyway, a list of account numbers would do, maybe in a wee box that your son will know to open when you pop your clogs. Power of Attorney is worth thinking about too, only to kick in if you become incapable. 

1 minute ago, welshbairn said:

You don't need to leave passwords, which would be illegal for your son to use anyway, a list of account numbers would do, maybe in a wee box that your son will know to open when you pop your clogs. Power of Attorney is worth thinking about too, only to kick in if you become incapable. 

Aye, the thought that occurred to me was what would happen if I died because the house burned down, taking any documentation with it. I'm likely putting too much thought into this.

Tempting to give him Power of Attorney now, as he can't make worse decisions than me, surely.

1 hour ago, welshbairn said:

I've heard you can get tablets for that.... 😳

1 hour ago, BFTD said:

Nothing about the Letter of Wishes is legally binding so they don't need to scrutinise it in that sense.  So if you update it every so often then you are simply asking them to replace one document in their safe with a new one.  I would be surprised if they charged you a lot for doing this.

51 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

Spock on Star Trek I am currently watching just said "kindness is a human emotion".

My question: is it?

46 minutes ago, Florentine_Pogen said:

Empathy is a mammalian emotion.

Discuss.

It's Like A New Emotion - TTF

5 hours ago, welshbairn said:

@BFTD - Welshy’s as close as is satisfactory. All you do is list all the institutions you intend to/have shovelled all your money around.

Every time you do, tell the boy only the name of the institution, no need for product, no account numbers, no passwords. However you actually do that is up to you but I imagine a list behind the clock in the kitchen won’t be much use in your imagined ultimate demise in front of an horrific three bar fire and baby oil accident but I’m sure you’ll find a suitable fallback. 

All young Mr BFTD then needs is a Death Certificate and a ‘ma da said you’ve got some of his money’ letter/email to said institution and it all becomes clear rather quick. 

11 hours ago, BFTD said:

In the digital age, how do people leave important information to their families in the event that they die?

A while ago, I had to go through an elderly relative's house after he died, and we discovered pretty much everything about his life from the paperwork he had stashed around the place - bank statements, investments, etc. It just occurred to me that, if I get hit by a bus tomorrow, my family would have no way of finding similar information for me as it's all digital, with everything stored behind passwords. I used a will service a couple of years ago, but they only asked for instructions on who my immense personal fortune was to be left to, and it would be a bit weird to have given them account details and suchlike anyway, not to mention pointless for someone who moves their savings around on a regular basis.

So how do people leave information about accounts and passwords to inheritors? Leaving a list stashed around the house somewhere seems like a terrible idea, considering you could be robbed, or die in a house fire, or the information could be missed when the house is being cleared out (it's not uncommon for cash savings to end up in the hands of house clearance firms or charity shops because the deceased hid their money a little too well). I trust my son enough to give him the information now, but not enough not to leave it lying at his arse somewhere it could be found.

My old man kept a list on his computer of where everything was, account numbers etc and gave me a copy. If anything changed he just printed a new copy for me to have. When the time sadly came further down the line all I had to do was hand that list into the lawyers and let them get on with it.

1 hour ago, Florentine_Pogen said:

Empathy is a mammalian emotion.

Discuss.

"Hello Cat, you are a mammal. Do you have any empathy with me?"

"Feed me you cnut"

2 hours ago, scottsdad said:

Spock on Star Trek I am currently watching just said "kindness is a human emotion".

My question: is it?

My question: How did Lt Leslie get out of that one and appear in another 19 episodes?

Jerry Ayres appears in that episode too.  He often played characters on TV who don't survive the episode.  Talk about typecasting.

5 hours ago, alta-pete said:

@BFTD - Welshy’s as close as is satisfactory. All you do is list all the institutions you intend to/have shovelled all your money around.

Every time you do, tell the boy only the name of the institution, no need for product, no account numbers, no passwords. However you actually do that is up to you but I imagine a list behind the clock in the kitchen won’t be much use in your imagined ultimate demise in front of an horrific three bar fire and baby oil accident but I’m sure you’ll find a suitable fallback. 

All young Mr BFTD then needs is a Death Certificate and a ‘ma da said you’ve got some of his money’ letter/email to said institution and it all becomes clear rather quick. 

Is baby oil flammable? AfaM.