Quick Question Thread

If somebody dropped a nuclear bomb on Glasgow's George Square, how far away would you need to be to avoid the resulting effects?

As far away as Barry Hills hoose in Rural Perthshire imo

If somebody dropped a nuclear bomb on Glasgow's George Square, how far away would you need to be to avoid the resulting effects?

The standard load of a Russian nuclear missile is a 25 megaton warhead.

With a detonation point of George Square the entire city of Glasgow would instantly vaporized by the explosion. In the surrounding towns from Dumbarton to Motherwell and Kirkintilloch to East Kilbride almost all the buildings would be blown down, only the very sturdiest structures would survive. Bomb damage would radiate out for a further 250 miles where it would cause minor damage like blowing out windows, or blowing down chimneys. In the days following the explosion lethal radiation would spread out over an area of about 2,000 miles.

Therefore if you wanted to be completely safe Cairo seems a good place to be. If you just wanted to be safe from the explosion Nottingham or the Shetlands would be the closest you'd want to get.

With a detonation point of George Square the entire city of Glasgow would instantly vaporized by the explosion. In the surrounding towns from Dumbarton to Motherwell and Kirkintilloch to East Kilbride almost all the buildings would be blown down, only the very sturdiest structures would survive. Bomb damage would radiate out for a further 250 miles where it would cause minor damage like blowing out windows, or blowing down chimneys. In the days following the explosion lethal radiation would spread out over an area of about 2,000 miles.

Therefore if you wanted to be completely safe Cairo seems a good place to be. If you just wanted to be safe from the explosion Nottingham or the Shetlands would be the closest you'd want to get.

Cheers. Additionally, roughly how long would it take for the radioactive fallout material to reach a safe level at a locality 147 miles from the bomb site?

Cheers. Additionally, roughly how long would it take for the radioactive fallout material to reach a safe level at a locality 147 miles from the bomb site?

Well I can't answer something as specific as that but a 1 megaton bomb leaves lethal level radiation for between 3 and 10 years depending on distance.

I don't know if a 25 megaton bomb leaves similar levels of radiation but over a larger distance or much higher levels of radiation but at 147 miles I'd guess it would be 4 to 5 years, possibly much longer, if a bigger bomb produces more radiation.

In the days following the explosion lethal radiation would spread out over an area of about 2,000 miles.

By lethal do you mean a slightly raised chance of getting certain cancers in later life?

And do you think you would feel the blast in Carlisle, say?

Not that I'm advocating nuclear war, but I think you may be over egging the pudding. It's horrifically bad enough as it is.

By lethal do you mean a slightly raised chance of getting certain cancers in later life?

And do you think you would feel the blast in Carlisle, say?

Not that I'm advocating nuclear war, but I think you may be over egging the pudding. It's horrifically bad enough as it is.

A 25 megaton warhead is 2000 times more powerful than the Hiroshima bomb.

The blast from a 25 megaton bomb detonated at George Square would have about half the power required to completely destroy a brick building by the time it got to Carlisle but you wouldn't want to be outside. There would be glass, roof tiles and masonry flying around.

The 2,000 miles range of radiation is the limit of a significantly higher chance of developing cancer in later life but up to 40 miles from the blast you could be fatally burned by the radiation depending on exposure.

I didn't mention the earth blown into the atmosphere (now radioactive of course) and the smoke from the enormous firestorms would block out the sun for weeks. When the smoke and dust cleared there would be a giant hole in the ozone layer.

By the way the Russian SS18 missile actually has 10 warheads which can all hit independent targets, i.e, one missile launch could pretty much take out every major city in the UK, with 250 mile damage radii criss crossing each other across the country.

Btw, can anyone tell me something - my understanding is that I can't end my contract before requesting a PAC code or it won't work, so ... if I request a PAC code from Virgin Media will that automatically terminate my current contract with them? If so, will that result in any additional charges or is it just a case of paying the remaining months? If anyone on here could answer this question that would be fantastic as I cannot be bothered trying to talk to their abysmal customer service. I wouldn't recommend going with them for a mobile contract one bit.

You don't have to get a PAC code to cancel your contract, only if you want to transfer your number to your new contract. If you want to keep your number then you will have to request it but if not just phone up and cancel then pay the remaining balance of the contraxt

You don't have to get a PAC code to cancel your contract, only if you want to transfer your number to your new contract. If you want to keep your number then you will have to request it but if not just phone up and cancel then pay the remaining balance of the contraxt

Yeah, I want to keep my number, so I have to get the PAC code. When 3 process that PAC code, does that trigger termination of the Virgin contract without me actually calling them again? I'm happy to pay the remaining balance, but they can't hit me with an additional charge because of how I've done it, can they??