Quick Question Thread

Need a bit of advice, ive had little or no hot water in my flat for the past 2 months and the letting agent has sent two plumbers out to look at the boiler (without telling us so its lucky we were in). First guy cleaned a valve and said it was fixed, second guy ordered a part after speaking to the manufacturer and said he'd be back to fit it when it came. Not heard anything since then (about a month ago) and the letting agency just fob us off saying theyre looking into it when we contact them. Anyone got anything to suggest next? Should we withhold rent until its fixed, or is there someone to report them to to get it fixed. Having to rely on friends/gym for a shower is getting a bit annoying. Cheers

Don't withhold rent, whatever you do. You'll turn out to have been in the wrong. Get down to the CAB to get their recommendation; seeing as how hot water is a pretty essential thing, I'd imagine you'll be told to give the letting agent an ultimatum in writing (and keep a record of all interactions with them), and if they don't have it repaired by that date, then get it repaired yourself and bill them, with a court visit if necessary. You might also be able to make a small claim for contested rent during the period you didn't have the full facilities of the property.

Don't expect the letting agent to sort anything out without you being in touch with them every day, because they're all c***s who'll do whatever saves them money, even if it's just interest on the repair payment they'd have to make for the month they've been able to keep it in the bank.

Need a bit of advice, ive had little or no hot water in my flat for the past 2 months and the letting agent has sent two plumbers out to look at the boiler (without telling us so its lucky we were in). First guy cleaned a valve and said it was fixed, second guy ordered a part after speaking to the manufacturer and said he'd be back to fit it when it came. Not heard anything since then (about a month ago) and the letting agency just fob us off saying theyre looking into it when we contact them. Anyone got anything to suggest next? Should we withhold rent until its fixed, or is there someone to report them to to get it fixed. Having to rely on friends/gym for a shower is getting a bit annoying. Cheers

In the first instance I'd email the letting agent and say you're due a rent reduction for a period (say from when the 2nd guy came to 'do nothing') of, maybe, 20%.

I'd also give them, say, 14 days to sort it out or you'll be contacting the landlord/owner.

I'd then go to Citizens' Advice as DA suggested.

In the first instance I'd email the letting agent and say you're due a rent reduction for a period (say from when the 2nd guy came to 'do nothing') of, maybe, 20%.

I'd also give them, say, 14 days to sort it out or you'll be contacting the landlord/owner.

I'd then go to Citizens' Advice as DA suggested.

This, but in reverse order. A letter/email from CAB will carry more weight.

This, but in reverse order. A letter/email from CAB will carry more weight.

There is, though, a practical problem which is that The CAB are overwhelmed. If he phoned tomorrow he'd not likely get an appointment for a fortnight.

Contacting the letting agent is the first thing and suggest a rent reduction. Also give them a deadline to sort it out.

There is, though, a practical problem which is that The CAB are overwhelmed. If he phoned tomorrow he'd not likely get an appointment for a fortnight.

Depends on where he stays - I've lived in places where you needed to make an appointment two weeks in advance, but you can just rock up to the Alloa branch on the days when they're open and they'll see you, usually after an hour or two's wait. If you arrive half an hour before they start, they'll usually see you straight away. They don't even take appointments any more.

Contacting the letting agent is the first thing and suggest a rent reduction. Also give them a deadline to sort it out.

You're probably right, but maybe a phone call to this lot would help him frame the email in a more authoritative manner. The letting agent deals with this stuff full time, might as well have an edge. http://scotland.shelter.org.uk/get_advice/advice_topics/renting_rights/about_your_tenancy_rights

Edited by welshbairn

Anyone who knows Bathgate able to recommend a free parking spot in Bathgate town centre?

Park at the wee retail park near Argos / B&M. It's got a two-hour limit but it's unenforceable, if you get any letters out just bin them.

PM the pony-tailed guy from Stirling?

I always thought it was pronounced Euan.

I've always pronounced it Owen.

Eoin being Owen, Eoghain being Euan. Quite often a Scots v Irish Gaelic thing, to the best of my knowledge.

Always wondered if Eoin Jess (think everyone said Ee-on) was actually just an Owen.

Where Iain comes into it is a pain, although that's defo a Scots Gaelic name. Should technically sound more like 'ee-eye-n', but nobody's going to say that this side of the Minch.

On a side note, I always like when English interviewers say 'Hay-ah' when referring to De Gea, only for van Gaal to reply using the hardcore Dutch pronounciation. Pretty sure he purposely does it out of principle. Soft English accents are useless at most pronounciations of course. Can't even pronounce R's FFS.

Edited by Hedgecutter

PRHP are like the letting equivalent of the Spanish Inquisition and it's a free service:

http://www.prhpscotland.gov.uk/prhp/1.html