Quick Question Thread

If you get offered a job interview and you're on holiday on the date given, should you be able to request another date? I'm sure I remember hearing that you should be granted another appointment (within reason) but I don't know if I've made that up.

If you get offered a job interview and you're on holiday on the date given, should you be able to request another date? I'm sure I remember hearing that you should be granted another appointment (within reason) but I don't know if I've made that up.

Don't see why not. If the date isn't suitable for you then you should be able to request a different one within reason surely?

I'd just explain and ask nicely if it's possible to come in at another time.

I suppose it's possible they might have decided to get the procedure completed by that date, but there's not much you can do about it, if that's the case. Not like you're going to blow off your holiday. Or they could be strict disciplinarians who demand that their organisation be the most important thing in employees' lives, in which case you should consider a 'no' to be an early warning and run screaming.

.. Or they could be strict disciplinarians who demand that their organisation be the most important thing in employees' lives, in which case you should consider a 'no' to be an early warning and run screaming.

Exactly this. If they are going to be dicks about the interview then is it really the type of company you want to risk working for?

I don't have a job believe it or not! No company would be arsey about someone changing the date of a job interview because of a holiday that is already booked I'm sure!

You'd be surprised what some employers are willing to be dicks about.

Fancy a bit of part-time work? I never seem to get enough done on my own. Can't afford to pay you anything, but I have a lovely collection of thick hiking socks.

Well, it's the NHS so...

So are you asking if you have any kind of legal right to have your interview rescheduled? Wouldn't have thought so, but I know hee-haw. Try your union rep.

Good luck, by the way. You up for a promoted post?

Well i can imagine employers doing the interview may well just give an interview because they have to but because its not at the same time as everyone else they may not look upon them favourably due to the inconvenience.

I don't use socks anymore, I'm going to change my picture but haven't found anything worthy of yet.

an inflatable Linda Lovelace or a Davy Crockett hat?

Well i can imagine employers doing the interview may well just give an interview because they have to but because its not at the same time as everyone else they may not look upon them favourably due to the inconvenience.

I don't use socks anymore, I'm going to change my picture but haven't found anything worthy of yet.

The wean got a lava lamp for Hanukkah, and has been having trouble getting to sleep without someone in his room with him, so I was watching it last night. I swear the maker of the Fleshlight must have been inspired by one - it's all phallic columns of wax rising up, big descending balls, and sudden spurting eruptions of hot white liquid splattering all over the inside.

So aye, get a Fleshlight. Don't try a lava lamp, or you'll be visiting Mrs M at A&E :wacko:

So are you asking if you have any kind of legal right to have your interview rescheduled? Wouldn't have thought so, but I know hee-haw. Try your union rep.

Good luck, by the way. You up for a promoted post?

I just wasn't sure if there was any obligation on their part to offer (within a reasonable time frame) an alternative to be honest. I know when i worked for a certain council, we would attempt to do this for people of we could and I'm sure I remember being told that it was mandatory for us to do so but I don't know if it was a legal thing or a policy thing. The job only closed on Friday, I got the letter in this morning and the interview is next week - my week away was booked ages ago, before I'd even sent the application and that kind of turnaround in this sector is unheard of!

No, if anything, I'm taking a pay cut although I'll be the same grade as I am now, hoping to move from private to public sector doing a job I'll enjoy far more than the one I've got.

Edited by Mrs M

I just wasn't sure if there was any obligation on their part to offer (within a reasonable time frame) an alternative to be honest. I know when i worked for a certain council, we would attempt to do this for people of we could and I'm sure I remember being told that it was mandatory for us to do so but I don't know if it was a legal thing or a policy thing. The job only closed on Friday, I got the letter in this morning and the interview is next week - my week away was booked ages ago, before I'd even sent the application and that kind of turnaround in this sector is unheard of!

No, if anything, I'm taking a pay cut although I'll be the same grade as I am now, hoping to move from private to public sector doing a job I'll enjoy far more than the one I've got.

Sounds like a good move. I'm sure it'll be fine, but you can always hit up your rep or the CAB if someone decides to be a wee shitebag about it.

Good luck!

You'd be surprised what some employers are willing to be dicks about.

Fancy a bit of part-time work? I never seem to get enough done on my own. Can't afford to pay you anything, but I have a lovely collection of thick hiking socks.

When I was unemployed, I passed a formal interview for some place and was then offered me a "working interview". Basically did three shifts for them and was told they would make a decision by the end of the week - the c**t never got back to me, not even a "f**k off". I was told at the job centre that I was the sixth person who went for that job that went through the exact same thing but there was nothing that they could do about it. Enforced slave labour - we would all have been sanctioned by the DWP if we didn't go for it.

Question: If somebody pissed can get done sleeping in the back of a car which they have keys for, could somebody without a driver's licence get into trouble for being in the car alone when keys are in the ignition, albeit in the passenger side? Classic "I'm nipping into the shop, stay here" moment.

What sort of rights does an employer have when changing your working hours? My contract states that I may be required to work anytime between 8am and 7pm, but my working hours are 9am to 5pm and have been since starting the job five months ago.

There's now talk of putting a couple of us on to an 11am to 7pm shift.

Can they change my hours with no notice whatsoever because my contract states that I'm expected to work between 8am and 7pm, or do they need to provide some sort of notice?

In addition, if there are, say ten people in your office and only four employees have this clause written into their contract, is there any way they can get the other six to work the alternate hours?