Quick Question Thread

53 minutes ago, Shandon Par said:

There's a restaurant in Fife I go to when I'm passing through and the owner still berates me for setting fire to one of his tablecloths when you could still smoke in there. 

I used to have the decency to wait 'til others at the table had finished their course but I did smoke in restaurants all the time.

I remember going to the Stadium of Light and smoking outside the pub like a frozen snotter as I forgot the smoking ban hadn't been introduced in England at that point.

Edited by ayrmad

11 minutes ago, ayrmad said:

I used to have the decency to wait 'til others at the table had finished their course but I did smoke in restaurants all the time.

Because of course the smoke stayed around your table and never drifted away to other tables where people were still eating.

7 minutes ago, GordonD said:

Because of course the smoke stayed around your table and never drifted away to other tables where people were still eating.

In all honesty, like most others at that time, I didn't give a shit about the occupants of other tables.

25 minutes ago, ayrmad said:

That's the way it was, you regularly couldn't see the other end of a busy pub at the weekend. 

Pubs are different - that was just part of the environment. But I would hate to be in a restaurant having a nice meal when some selfish sod is puffing away at the next table.

2 minutes ago, PWL said:

I'm old enough to remember smoking on planes.  On a flight to Canada in early 90s I made mistake of going to toilet at back of plane and it was like a fog.

Planes used to have a handy wee ashtray in the seat arm with a clever opening mechanism which must have cost a fortune to manufacture.  Their absence is another example of the decline of society IMO.

1 hour ago, ayrmad said:

That's the way it was, you regularly couldn't see the other end of a busy pub at the weekend. 

52 minutes ago, blackislekillie said:

I remember those days too, standing in a queue in the bank or post office with folk puffing away. I was against it at the time but now I think the smoking ban is the most important piece of health legislation since the founding of the NHS.

Or going for a night out and coming home with a hole burned in your shirt where some paralytic smoker bumped into you with their lit fag.  In my case, usually this same one of my mates who never smoked sober, but any time he went out, got blootered, and then suddenly wanted to be a chain-smoker.

22 minutes ago, PWL said:

I'm old enough to remember smoking on planes.  On a flight to Canada in early 90s I made mistake of going to toilet at back of plane and it was like a fog.

Every plane that I flew on in the 70's and 80's and up until it was stopped, I always sat in a smoking seat. The seethe from some of the grown ups in the 70's was glorious at times:lol:

Planes used to have a handy wee ashtray in the seat arm with a clever opening mechanism which must have cost a fortune to manufacture.  Their absence is another example of the decline of society IMO.

When they allowed smoking they had to regularly recycle the air by law. Since they banned it they don't bother anymore, hence people picking up colds and worse on flights is far more frequent. Health fascism gone mad.

7 minutes ago, dayman said:

Quick question - do you call it French toast or eggy bread?

Not sure if an issue of this magnitude requires a thread of its own, but we'll see how this goes

French toast every time.

Anyone calling it eggy dip dip absolutely needs watching.

9 minutes ago, dayman said:

Quick question - do you call it French toast or eggy bread?

Not sure if an issue of this magnitude requires a thread of its own, but we'll see how this goes

See half way down the first page for the abomination that Ric Flair was referring to. 

2 hours ago, Boghead ranter said:

Or going for a night out and coming home with a hole burned in your shirt where some paralytic smoker bumped into you with their lit fag.  In my case, usually this same one of my mates who never smoked sober, but any time he went out, got blootered, and then suddenly wanted to be a chain-smoker.

Working in a pub or club and going home reeking of smoke was horrible. Clothes went straight in the wash as soon as you got home regardless of the time, but you could wake up and your room stank of it.

The first time I had a shift after the ban came in, I remember waking up the next morning and being pleasantly surprised that the room only smelled of my own manly scent, rather than death sticks.