Quick Question Thread

Just now, BigFatTabbyDave said:

WB, stop watching the IS videos, FFS!

I made the bad mistake of watching one, never again. I'm just surprised that people can happily watch them and call anything else beyond the pale. The Serbian thing doesn't appeal though, I think I'll give it a miss. 

30 minutes ago, throbber said:

I just looked back and I did call you a pussay for not wanting to watch the film. I take it back, I want to be held tonight and told everything is going to be alright.

Play with fire, you're going to get burned. IMO.

1 minute ago, welshbairn said:

I made the bad mistake of watching one, never again. I'm just surprised that people can happily watch them and call anything else beyond the pale. The Serbian thing doesn't appeal though, I think I'll give it a miss. 

I've never seen one. One of the benefits of not using Facebook, judging by the number of times I've seen people complain about auto-starting videos ending up on their timeline.

Stephen King's theory on why people watch/read horror is that it's an attempt to prepare for the worst. As far as videos of actual deaths go, there's only so much you need to see before it becomes a pointless exercise IMO. Only seen a few when I was younger, and they've all just been sad.

1 minute ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

I've never seen one. One of the benefits of not using Facebook, judging by the number of times I've seen people complain about auto-starting videos ending up on their timeline.

Stephen King's theory on why people watch/read horror is that it's an attempt to prepare for the worst. As far as videos of actual deaths go, there's only so much you need to see before it becomes a pointless exercise IMO. Only seen a few when I was younger, and they've all just been sad.

I saw a weird compilation film on the rigs when I was young, bits of people being eaten by lions and the like, and one clip where an Amazonian local had his genitals cut off and shoved in his mouth by security for road builders. I knew it was very wrong but it didn't really affect me. Watching an IS video made me feel I'd never be clean again. Maybe it's an age thing.

12 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

I saw a weird compilation film on the rigs when I was young, bits of people being eaten by lions and the like, and one clip where an Amazonian local had his genitals cut off and shoved in his mouth by security for road builders. I knew it was very wrong but it didn't really affect me.

That sounds brutal. You're a sick man WB; a sick man  :P

5 hours ago, welshbairn said:

I don't get how people can nonchalantly watch IS snuff and torture videos but get freaked out by daft low budget fictional gore and depravity. Maybe it's the inferior production values.

You might see depictions of paedophilia as daft or comparable to adults being killed in a war zone, but not me. Each to their own though.

Stephen King's theory on why people watch/read horror is that it's an attempt to prepare for the worst. As far as videos of actual deaths go, there's only so much you need to see before it becomes a pointless exercise IMO...

I reckon Stephen King is too far up his own arse if he actually believes the above. People watch horror movies for entertainment, and almost all adults are able to draw the line between fact and fiction. Which is why most normal adults don't particularly seek out clips of people dying for real.

3 minutes ago, hk blues said:

I reckon Stephen King is too far up his own arse if he actually believes the above. People watch horror movies for entertainment, and almost all adults are able to draw the line between fact and fiction. Which is why most normal adults don't particularly seek out clips of people dying for real.

Define normal.

10 minutes ago, throbber said:

hk blues if you are assuming watching a snuff video online is on the same scale as taking your phone out to film a tragedy rather than help out in any way you are way off the mark.

I don't see how there is anything wrong with filming incidents like that anyhow as it can end up as crucial evidence in any investigations. You regularly hear police asking anyone with any footage to forward it on to them.

Eta: Obvz if you've got a choice between helping out or filming and you choose to film then you're a bit of a no righter. I doubt there's much the boy filming the Glasgow incident could've done though, other than shout out his fantastic advice.

Edited by Dee Man

11 hours ago, Dee Man said:

I don't see how there is anything wrong with filming incidents like that anyhow as it can end up as crucial evidence in any investigations. You regularly hear police asking anyone with any footage to forward it on to them.

Eta: Obvz if you've got a choice between helping out or filming and you choose to film then you're a bit of a no righter. I doubt there's much the boy filming the Glasgow incident could've done though, other than shout out his fantastic advice.

"Tuck your legs and brace yourself for landing, big yin"