Quick Question Thread

On 03/08/2023 at 15:47, Fuctifano said:

What's a decent weather app for Android? Dark Sky was good but was bought by Apple, the default Android one which I think is accuweather is garbage (the amount of times it predicts thunderstorms that never materialise is unreal) , and I don't like the layout of the met office one. 

Met office, I like the map thing that predicts where rain clouds will track. 

I used to work at The Met Office for over a decade (last century - Gulp).

It will be of no surprise that I have a few weather related apps on my iPhone and iPad.

Obviously I do use the Met Office app but I prefer to use AccuWeather on a more regular basis. 

I paid for that app I like it so much. 

Or perhaps because the AccuWeather app is listed first in the app content list  it’s my automatic go to. 

On 03/08/2023 at 04:44, Salt n Vinegar said:

Quite possibly.  It's the cheese y'know. Too much cheese turns the mind.  Liz Truss was obsessed with cheese and look what happened to her.

There is however no evidence to suggest that beings from Mars are called Martin.

Edit... Best not to discuss those from Uranus...

A bunch of bums no doubt.

One for the legal beagles; say you handed yourself into the cops and admitted indecent exposure, however the person you’d flashed at was blind, ergo no ‘victim’, would you still get done for it? 

(I’m assuming here that showing your balls to a guide dog isn’t an offence, BTW, just in case I’m wrong in that) 

8 minutes ago, carpetmonster said:

One for the legal beagles; say you handed yourself into the cops and admitted indecent exposure, however the person you’d flashed at was blind, ergo no ‘victim’, would you still get done for it? 

(I’m assuming here that showing your balls to a guide dog isn’t an offence, BTW, just in case I’m wrong in that) 

What jurisdiction? And are you asking for a friend?

44 minutes ago, carpetmonster said:

Shameless indecency, the act is the crime not who did or didn't see it. It would be assumed you did it for your own gratification so it would be the sex offender register for you and some kind of pathway programme to stop you being naughty. 

Edited by stimpy
Typo

45 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Saw a report of a crime carried out in ‘broad daylight’?  Why ‘broad’?

Is there such a thing as ‘narrow daylight’?

The phrase “broad daylight” goes back far enough to be used in translating the Bible. The conventional meaning is “during the day when people can see it, and could thereby observe it or prevent it”. Daylight refers to periods including nautical twilight, dusk and dawn…all periods with direct or reflected sunlight (however, one can argue about moonlight being reflected sunlight too). Twilight is the closest to your narrow daylight, as it literally means half-light.

Edited by TxRover

42 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Saw a report of a crime carried out in ‘broad daylight’?  Why ‘broad’?

Is there such a thing as ‘narrow daylight’?

One definition of Broad is "clear and open, full", hence broad daylight, as in full daylight.

1 hour ago, stimpy said:

Shameless indecency, the act is the crime not who did or didn't see it. It would be assumed you did it for your own gratification so it would be the sex offender register for you and some kind of pathway programme to stop you being naughty. 

While I would agree that the act is the crime, Scots Law demands corroboration. If the only evidence is the perpetrators admission, he shouldn't be found guilty without at least one piece of evidence (however tenuous) to back up his version of events.