Quick Question Thread

3 hours ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

Going down to salt and sauce country tomorrow and will try the Ingliston Park and Ride. What’s the score? You just rock up, dump the motor and head onto the tram or do you need to book a spot?

No booking required. Park up and head for the platform

5 hours ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

Going down to salt and sauce country tomorrow and will try the Ingliston Park and Ride. What’s the score? You just rock up, dump the motor and head onto the tram or do you need to book a spot?

Remember that you can't park overnight at Ingliston - the airport needs its parking revenue :(

14 hours ago, lichtgilphead said:

Remember that you can't park overnight at Ingliston - the airport needs its parking revenue :(

You can’t, according to the signs, but I’ve done it several times with no issue. You’d be unlucky to get a ticket for it, I think. 

2 minutes ago, die hard doonhamer said:

You can’t, according to the signs, but I’ve done it several times with no issue. You’d be unlucky to get a ticket for it, I think. 

Fair enough. I've never risked it.

Always parked in one of the other park & rides and got the bus or train in if staying overnight in Edinburgh.

Obviously if the ball goes either side then it is straightforward, but when the ball goes out for a corner kick by going over the crossbar in a football match (e.g. the goalkeeper tips a shot over the bar), how does the referee decide which side the corner should be taken from?

I have been watching football for over two decades now and the few people I have asked about it have not known the answer. It came to mind again tonight when I was watching a game. There is presumably a very straightforward answer. 

8 minutes ago, DrewDon said:

Obviously if the ball goes either side then it is straightforward, but when the ball goes out for a corner kick by going over the crossbar in a football match (e.g. the goalkeeper tips a shot over the bar), how does the referee decide which side the corner should be taken from?

I have been watching football for over two decades now and the few people I have asked about it have not known the answer. It came to mind again tonight when I was watching a game. There is presumably a very straightforward answer. 

Procedure

• The ball must be placed in the corner area nearest to the point where the ball passed over the goal line

https://www.thefa.com/football-rules-governance/lawsandrules/laws/football-11-11/law-17---the-corner-kick

2 hours ago, Mark Connolly said:

Procedure

• The ball must be placed in the corner area nearest to the point where the ball passed over the goal line

https://www.thefa.com/football-rules-governance/lawsandrules/laws/football-11-11/law-17---the-corner-kick

I always thought that was the rule but didn't they relax it a few years ago?

5 hours ago, DrewDon said:

That is the most obvious but also unsatisfying explanation.

Out of interest, why is it unsatisfying when the rules seem clear on it?  

4 hours ago, Swarley said:

I always thought that was the rule but didn't they relax it a few years ago?

Not so sure about corners, but bye kicks used to have to be taken from the same side of the 6 yard box as the ball had gone out of play in, on the same principle as the corner example.

The rule for that was relaxed to allow the bye to be taken from anywhere within the 6 yard box (thus allowing the keeper even more leeway for timewasting).

• 2 weeks later...

So there is compensation for players and managers if they leave a football club for another under contract but why are all these directors of football and footballing operations not able to move freely between clubs?

Edited by Claudia Gentile

3 hours ago, Claudia Gentile said:

So there is competition for players and managers if they leave a football club for another under contract but why are all these directors of football and footballing operations not able to move freely between clubs?

Players and managers are not free to move between clubs if under contract.  If you mean why are clubs more willing to negotiate to let players and managers break the contract compared to directors of football/football operations - maybe the latter have more access to commercially sensitive information etc?

Edited by hk blues

19 minutes ago, hk blues said:

Players and managers are not free to move between clubs if under contract.  If you mean why are clubs more willing to negotiate to let players and managers break the contract compared to directors of football/football operations - maybe the latter have more access to commercially sensitive information etc?

Bloody autocorrect. Yeah I meant compensation for players and managers. Just not sure why this has come in for executives and the like. Your suggestion makes sense. 

This is one for the Travel Forum but I would like a quick reply, so I'm calling on all you Skyscanner experts.

Is it possible to book a return flight ticket which returns to a different destination. e.g. Milan to New York- New York to Edinburgh using one ticket?

31 minutes ago, jimbaxters said:

This is one for the Travel Forum but I would like a quick reply, so I'm calling on all you Skyscanner experts.

Is it possible to book a return flight ticket which returns to a different destination. e.g. Milan to New York- New York to Edinburgh using one ticket?

Yes.  It is labelled "Multi-City"

Multi City.jpg

Edited by Fullerene

Hi folks.

Our lad has paid us for some event tickets but still had paper banknotes. We took them because we knew they could be traded in for the newer plastic ones.

Trouble is, they are from 4 different banks - BoS, RBS, Clydesdale and even one BoE.

Anyone know if they can all be traded in at one bank or if we have to visit 3 or 4?  I've has a quick look online but no clear answer jumped out at me.

Thanks.

7 minutes ago, Salt n Vinegar said:

Hi folks.

Our lad has paid us for some event tickets but still had paper banknotes. We took them because we knew they could be traded in for the newer plastic ones.

Trouble is, they are from 4 different banks - BoS, RBS, Clydesdale and even one BoE.

Anyone know if they can all be traded in at one bank or if we have to visit 3 or 4?  I've has a quick look online but no clear answer jumped out at me.

Thanks.

post office

https://www.postoffice.co.uk/banknote-exchange

Edited by SlipperyP

1 hour ago, Salt n Vinegar said:

Hi folks.

Thanks.

Most banks will let you pay them into your account, at least up to a few years ago. As a charity shop worker, we'd regularly find the odd ancient paper note in donations, some of which had ceased being legal tender even before the plastic notes came in. Never had a problem banking them.

I thought they were just being nice to a charity, but staff at HBOS and RBOS both told me they did it for anyone with an account, so long as they didn't come in with a wad of them or anything. Presumably the issuers all have an agreement to cover each other's losses.