Quick Question Thread

23 minutes ago, BFTD said:

Aye, they're going down the route that lost Yahoo their search engine primacy. Presumably they figure they've got the market sewn up at this point.

I've also heard that DuckDuckGo's search algorithm produces better results than Google these days.

I use DukDukGonenaebuggerkenswhaur to search for Aberdeen players during the close season

1 hour ago, Fuctifano said:

There would definitely be some redemption arc if everyone ended up back on yahoo best part of 30 years later. Might as well dig up Jeeves.

Alta Vista, please. And could I get a new version of Netscape with that?

4 hours ago, Fuctifano said:

There would definitely be some redemption arc if everyone ended up back on yahoo best part of 30 years later. Might as well dig up Jeeves.

I'm afraid he was one of the lower-profile public figures to be caught up in Operation Yewtree.

His anguished cry of "I was just asking for a mate!" held no weight with the jury  :(

4 hours ago, BFTD said:

Aye, they're going down the route that lost Yahoo their search engine primacy. Presumably they figure they've got the market sewn up at this point.

I've also heard that DuckDuckGo's search algorithm produces better results than Google these days.

I Googled that and it’s not true…

15 hours ago, TxRover said:

Ccleaner is pretty decent for cleaning up a hard drive, but:

1) Only download and use the free version, and watch the tricky ad buttons that say “Download Now” from third parties.

2) Don’t worry about the PC tuning and stuff.

3) Don’t use the registry fix.

It’ll take a few minutes the first time to configure what to clean (you’ll want to keep passwords, etc… you choose per program)

Also, download and start using Revo Uninstaller for removing programs. It cleans up all the orphaned crap that clogs hard drives.

Doesn't the Disk Cleanup utility that comes with Windows 10/11 do a good enough job?  I've never used anything else.  

On 15/09/2024 at 19:09, Granny Danger said:

Does anyone on here use American Express?

I have no idea why it’s still a thing.

Aye, like someone else mentioned, Avios points with it, plus I'm in the US every year for a trip home with the missus. 

On 27/09/2024 at 07:22, hk blues said:

Doesn't the Disk Cleanup utility that comes with Windows 10/11 do a good enough job?  I've never used anything else.  

Never found a bundled utility that was nearly as good as some of the other options out there. I can’t speak to that particular comparison though.

Just now, TxRover said:

Never found a bundled utility that was nearly as good as some of the other options out there. I can’t speak to that particular comparison though.

I've used CCleaner before and it was excellent but since I discovered the in-built cleaner I've never found the need to supplement it.  I'm a basic user though, nothing fancy.