Quick Question Thread

Sadly, yes.

Just tip the driver and he'll keep on turning a blind eye though. wink.gif

I assume you mean sadly it is illegal?

It certainly isn't legal to drink on a coach enroute to football.

What about on the way back from football?

Why is it illegal when you can happily drink away on public trains and buses but not private ones?

I assume you mean sadly it is illegal?

What about on the way back from football?

Why is it illegal when you can happily drink away on public trains and buses but not private ones?

I don't know, but our supporters buses regularly get searched for booze. It's not just football, it's any sporting event in Scotland. I'm sure someone will have the relevant law to hand.

Edited by calum_gers

You can drink on public buses? The driver might be ignorant or turn a blind eye (or bottle it) but I always thought that was illegal.

It's a while since i've been on one, but isn't there always an announcement at the start of Megabus journeys stating that if you're caught drinking that you're off the bus.

You can drink on public buses? The driver might be ignorant or turn a blind eye (or bottle it) but I always thought that was illegal.

I was guessing to be fair as i never get buses. You most certainly are allowed to bevy on trains so i didnt see what buses would be different. MegaBus type buses i would have thought you could drink on.

Could be wrong mind.

I was guessing to be fair as i never get buses. You most certainly are allowed to bevy on trains so i didnt see what buses would be different. MegaBus type buses i would have thought you could drink on.

Could be wrong mind.

I believe the reason you are allowed to drink on trains is that you will never be in contact with the driver, whereas on a bus a pissed up football/rugby fan could easily distract the bus driver and cause an accident. However, it is legal as a passenger in a car to drink whilst the car is in motion.

I've also heard that as it is Network Rail that actually own the tracks they can put in place whatever rules they wish, whereas First Bus/Megabus etc... don't own the roads so you have to go with the laws that the Police enforce, or something like that.

In saying all that though, our driver always lets us drink on our bus (although it hardly ever runs now). I can only remember once in about seven years where the driver has stopped the bus and asked for booze to be stored until we got off.

EDIT: Should also add our driver has no problem in people smoking/doing drugs etc... :lol:

Edited by Adam

I believe the reason you are allowed to drink on trains is that you will never be in contact with the driver, whereas on a bus a pissed up football/rugby fan could easily distract the bus driver and cause an accident. However, it is legal as a passenger in a car to drink whilst the car is in motion.

I've also heard that as it is Network Rail that actually own the tracks they can put in place whatever rules they wish, whereas First Bus/Megabus etc... don't own the roads so you have to go with the laws that the Police enforce, or something like that.

In saying all that though, our driver always lets us drink on our bus (although it hardly ever runs now). I can only remember once in about seven years where the driver has stopped the bus and asked for booze to be stored until we got off.

I guess that makes sense although being allowed to drink as a passenger in a car is a bit of a strange on although youre unlikely to attack your mate who is driving.

I believe the reason you are allowed to drink on trains is that you will never be in contact with the driver, whereas on a bus a pissed up football/rugby fan could easily distract the bus driver and cause an accident.

That's also been my theory for a while though. I wonder which law allows police to raid booze on supporters buses then even if the driver on the public coach was happy for them to drink on it? Some clause on sporting events or nipping future trouble in the bud?