Quick Question Thread

I believe the reason you are allowed to drink on trains is that you will never be in contact with the driver, whereas on a bus a pissed up football/rugby fan could easily distract the bus driver and cause an accident. However, it is legal as a passenger in a car to drink whilst the car is in motion.

This was going to be my reasoning before the site failed on me. I also think the distinction is between a supporters bus, seen as a mode of transport and highly likely to be carrying drunks, and a private vehicle/private coaches.

I've also heard that as it is Network Rail that actually own the tracks they can put in place whatever rules they wish, whereas First Bus/Megabus etc... don't own the roads so you have to go with the laws that the Police enforce, or something like that.

British Transport Police surely have the say on creating 'dry trains' and I suspect their objection carries the full weight of the law.

I've drank many times on a Megabus without any hassle, and only once has the driver said anything about alcohol.

Excellent, looks like a cargo on the way to Dundee after all. :D

That's also been my theory for a while though. I wonder which law allows police to raid booze on supporters buses then even if the driver on the public coach was happy for them to drink on it? Some clause on sporting events or nipping future trouble in the bud?

I think it is a law that was brought in back in the early 1980's where football buses taking hooligans from one end of the country to the other was starting to occur most weeks. My uncle (who I believe is quite clued up on this stuff) said it was brought in to try and get rid of pissed up football fans causing trouble when they got to their destination. The reasoning was that if they were not allowed to drink alcohol on long coach trips, then they would be less likely to start a fight when they arrived as they would be sober.

I'm not sure how accurate that is, but my uncle did run a bus back in the 1980's.

British Transport Police surely have the say on creating 'dry trains' and I suspect their objection carries the full weight of the law.

Yeah, that's true. I think train companies that are catering for 3/400 (and more) football fans at a time are only too happy with BTP enforicng Dry Trains on occasions.

i know that trains travelling between certain times (usually 11-7 if it's at 3) when there's Scotland games on at Murrayfield are dry trains. I'd assume the same between the old firm playing in Edinburgh etc

My brother and I got screwed over by this earlier in the season. We'd bought a fine selection of foreign beers from the Peckhams at Aberdeen station for a fitba away day to Nairn but had it all taken from us at the ticket barriers as Aberdeen were playing Caley that day and apparently that had to be a dry train even though they never had any warnings or notices anywhere in the station telling us so.

Had to throw £15 worth of drink in the bin or miss our match. The fact Aberdeen got pumped by Inverness that day did help soften the blow though as the Dons faithful were silent the whole journey back. One table of guys next to us were silent from Nairn - Inverurie until one guy broke the silence said to his mate "did you think it was a..." before his mate stopped him in his tracks by simply saying "Just shut up Dod"!

i know that trains travelling between certain times (usually 11-7 if it's at 3) when there's Scotland games on at Murrayfield are dry trains. I'd assume the same between the old firm playing in Edinburgh etc

Certainly when Celtic are playing at home, all trains that run through Bellgrove (the closest station to Celtic Park) are dry. There are normally warnings on the screens at the station for a week in advance.

There is also definitely a law regarding alcohol on buses travelling to sporting events - basically that you can't - as I was told by a private hire bus driver. As to what laws govern other buses, I've no idea, but I do know that you're not allowed to drink on the Megabus. If you have, you've just had a driver that couldn't care less, but they can boot you off for it and I've seen drink confiscated before now.

Certainly when Celtic are playing at home, all trains that run through Bellgrove (the closest station to Celtic Park) are dry. There are normally warnings on the screens at the station for a week in advance.

Yeah that's the same for my line which includes Dalmarnock and Bridgeton stations.

Begs the question, is it Ok to get pished on the bus on the way back from the sporting event on way home???

No. On the way to both the Challenge Cup final in 2008 and the Scottish Cup Semi and Final last season, it was made clear that no alcohol was allowed on buses to or from a sporting event. Of course people still drank, just as long as they kept it below the windows, but if the police had stopped any of the buses then action would have been taken.

I was once told by someone on the way to an away game that soaking marshmallows in vodka is another ingenious way of hiding alcohol. Plus you get to eat at the same time. I never tried it.

Can do it with Skittles as well.

I was once told by someone on the way to an away game that soaking marshmallows in vodka is another ingenious way of hiding alcohol. Plus you get to eat at the same time. I never tried it.

Vodka's much easier to hide than other bevvy. You can just about pass it off in an empty water bottle.

It's finding a bottle with a plausible matching colour of lager/cider that's less straightforward. Ginger beer's the closest hue but alarm bells might ring given no one in their right mind would drink ginger beer.

Vodka's much easier to hide than other bevvy. You can just about pass it off in an empty water bottle.

It's finding a bottle with a plausible matching colour of lager/cider that's less straightforward. Ginger beer's the closest hue but alarm bells might ring given no one in their right mind would drink ginger beer.

Think you mean Ginger Ale as Ginger Beer looks f**k all like lager or cider