The New Raith Rovers Thread

Thought he was signed with Ayr for another season?

I reckon he would be let go as long as someone could pick up his wages. Doubt McCall would let him go to a title rival and I doubt Harkins would want to stay in this league anyway.
Please, anyone but us.

I'll say the same thing that I said with Ryan Stevenson. I will happily let him go, so long as it's not to a team in our division. As I said above I can't see him staying in this league.

http://terracepodcast.net/season-player-ratings-201617-raith-rovers/

Well worth a read. Certainly puts a lighter/funny spin on this season. However some home truths are told

Good read but as bad as things were I don't recall us having an English black small right winger in goals...then again I have wiped most of the season from my memory now.

12 hours ago, singin am no fae killie said:

Chris Johnston raith fans 904d11c39dd20a949a0e2f1cba409cae.jpg

Not a tricky winger, not that rapid either, but good at distributing the ball, technically proficient but not so obviously in terms of beating a man with close control. Actually looked a bit better playing more centrally behind a striker, but lightweight, very lightweight. In the category of shortarse players we've had the last few years, he's not as creative, hardworking or as dangerous in front of goal as Vaughan, nor was he as rapid, tricky and skillful as Connolly.

Had high hopes for him, and it could well be that he's still struggling to get back to his full ability after being out for a whole year, but was overall a disappointment last year (not that he was alone).

Johnson's special move was to look like he was about to do something at all times without actually ever doing anything. He was absolutely brilliant at getting the ball then suddenly not having it anymore even though no one had tackled him. Has the upper body strength of a wet leaf.

7 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Johnson's special move was to look like he was about to do something at all times without actually ever doing anything. He was absolutely brilliant at getting the ball then suddenly not having it anymore even though no one had tackled him. Has the upper body strength of a wet leaf.

Christ, that's a bit harsh. Give the wet leaf some credit. It's far sturdier...

I must be in a minority that thought Johnston was no to bad. It felt if he had the right players around him he'd have been more effective. Seen a few scenarios where he would try something but if his teammates had the know how of where they should be or anticipated what he was going to do he'd have been seen as a better player from a fans point of view. I think on his day he'd be a decent addition to some Championship clubs but if he's taking a step down to League 1 I'd have preferred if we'd kept hold of him. If he signs for Ayr he'll no doubt come back to haunt us.

Just now, Raithie said:

I'll just come out and ask. Any news from your end re you know who? :P

Looking forward to the new season and working with Smith.  They have spoken and things are positive. 

48 minutes ago, Raithie said:

Sounds like the contracted players are staying, or at least that's how I'm interpreting it. Suppose things could change mind you.

It says in the FFP article that there are 7 or 9 players signed for next season but during the interview with Mr Young, he states that there are definitely 4 players staying at the club ( 5 :40 into the interview). Are the 4 players staying ,part of the group of 7 (9)? and are we looking at having to bring in even more players for this seasons squad ?

3 minutes ago, Toddy said:

It says in the FFP article that there are 7 or 9 players signed for next season but during the interview with Mr Young, he states that there are definitely 4 players staying at the club ( 5 :40 into the interview). Are the 4 players staying ,part of the group of 7 (9)? and are we looking at having to bring in even more players for this seasons squad ?

From what I've gathered, out of the four that he mentioned, 1 or 2 might have been out of contract and are willing to continue on/take a pay cut, as he mentioned that it was a bit of both contracted and out of contract.

That begs the question, which of the out of contracted players would we keep?

I sincerely hope that we're looking for about a dozen players, with the vast majority of last year's squad being told to gtf. You only need to think back to the Brechin games to see how rank rotten some of our players are.