The New Raith Rovers Thread

On 21/10/2017 at 20:57, Rovers1992/1993 said:

I don't like that at all. I hope he stays and continues to work with Thomson in wrecking that club completely from top to bottom.

Couldn't happen to a nicer club.

There was a time when Dundee United were every neutral's favourite team.

How times have changed.

Some of the comments about Laurie Ellis are ridiculous. Laurie served the Rovers well for years and was a an absolute model professional off the field always willing to represent the club at events and functions. When McKinnon decided to leave I'm guessing he was faced with the choice to go with him or stay at Starks Park with no guarantee of even a job if the new manager didn't fancy him or wanted to bring in his own assistants. To criticise him for taking the safer and probably better paid option is nonsensical. Would welcome him back at Starks Park anytime.  At the moment there's probably no space for him so hope he finds another job soon if he has indeed been sacked at United 

Edited by roverthemoon

23 minutes ago, roverthemoon said:

Some of the comments about Laurie Ellis are ridiculous. Laurie served the Rovers well for years and was a an absolute model professional off the field always willing to represent the club at events and functions. When McKinnon decided to leave I'm guessing he was faced with the choice to go with him or stay at Starks Park with no guarantee of even a job if the new manager didn't fancy him or wanted to bring in his own assistants. To criticise him for taking the safer and probably better paid option is nonsensical. Would welcome him back at Starks Park anytime.  At the moment there's probably no space for him so hope he finds another job soon if he has indeed been sacked at United 

He was lined up for the job Easton has now, it was sitting there waiting for him to sign the contract for some time. Ellis maybe thought that an assistant job at Dundee United was better for his future, and we should have no problem with that, but he certainly wasn't forced to gamble by uncertainty on the Rovers part.

Fwiw, I think we got quite lucky in that as much as Ellis is a cracking guy, Craig Easton has been an utter revelation for the club. He's got the u20s playing with confidence, although admittedly we're probably putting more money into our youth set up than any club at our current level. We already had the set up with Fife Elite Football Academy, but we also seem to do a lot with AM Soccer and a lot of the lads who've made first team appearances seem very assured (Brian only missed out on a clean sheet due to a peach of a free kick, Jamie Watson having a couple of solid displays at right back and both Berry, McKay and Smith featuring). We're scouting some solid talents through, and seem to have it far more involved within the club now. 

Laurie was told by a good few that he was probably making the wrong choice. Even Mrs Ellis wanted him to stay at Raith (allegedly). My worry is that Easton will be away at the end of the season, reading between the lines he isn't happy with the loss of two board members that were the main driving force for the youth dev side. One of the many aspects of the SIM regime that are a cause for concern. You have to worry about folks that are so gung ho with their ideas yet don't have a clue about what's what. They didn't even know that an artificial surface needed watered at all never mind frequently.

1 hour ago, Scottydog said:

Laurie was told by a good few that he was probably making the wrong choice. Even Mrs Ellis wanted him to stay at Raith (allegedly). My worry is that Easton will be away at the end of the season, reading between the lines he isn't happy with the loss of two board members that were the main driving force for the youth dev side. One of the many aspects of the SIM regime that are a cause for concern. You have to worry about folks that are so gung ho with their ideas yet don't have a clue about what's what. They didn't even know that an artificial surface needed watered at all never mind frequently.

Would rather have someone clueless about an artificial surface over someone who thought Gary Locke was a solid appointment 

2 hours ago, Scottydog said:

My worry is that Easton will be away at the end of the season, reading between the lines he isn't happy with the loss of two board members that were the main driving force for the youth dev side. One of the many aspects of the SIM regime that are a cause for concern.

Hasn't Sim been pretty clear from the off that he wants more focus on the youth sides and their progression in to the first team?

If Ellis has indeed been punted along with McKinnon then I hope he finds another job soon but if he hadn't by the summer then I reckon if we were to get promoted then we'll see him back at Starks next season. With Easton concentrating on the youth team and Cuthbert will more than likely concentrate on the Keepers, that will leave just an in experienced Robertson for the outfield players and we'll definitely need someone a lot more experienced for that league.

8 minutes ago, Lang Toun Lad said:

Hasn't Sim been pretty clear from the off that he wants more focus on the youth sides and their progression in to the first team?

Sacking the two directors who were the driving force behind is a strange way of showing that, more so as it's now finally showing some returns.

Sacking the two directors who were the driving force behind is a strange way of showing that, more so as it's now finally showing some returns.

Considering that's a load of shite entirely.

Every single one of the directors that have been punted played a part in how last season unfolded. They all deserved to be punted.