The New Raith Rovers Thread

Here we go.......ready to  make a complete James Hunt of myself......(one for the teenagers there)  Grant Gillespie to be 2018/19 player of the year, First time i have seen him and i really like the cut of his jib,

7 hours ago, Beachbum said:

That 3 game suspension has been there for a couple of months. If it was wrong surely Rovers would have appealed it before now. 

Sure it was Grant Murray who was down as suspended  for a game against Dundee on the suspension list yet the club knew nothing about it till it was pointed out to the club by a supporter than in fact he wasn,t suspended

Edited by Rovers_Lad

Checking back the suspension list from when he was sent off, he had four games listed then. Two games earned on the last day of the season (assuming for accumulating bookings) and two from the red card as it was his second of the season.

Anyone know what the story is with the injuries to Wedderburn, Buchanan and Flanagan? Vaughan seems to be written off until September/October unfortunately.

If nobody else returns we’ll play the opening match at Stranraer with 13 available players.

Anyone know what the story is with the injuries to Wedderburn, Buchanan and Flanagan? Vaughan seems to be written off until September/October unfortunately.

If nobody else returns we’ll play the opening match at Stranraer with 13 available players.

Buchanan had an op on his nose, Barry said on the prematch Hearts interview that it was only a week or 2 out. Not sure about Wedderburn & Flanagan. Vaughan was an op on a grown injury (im sure) , and even though its a massive loss, I really hope we don’t rush him back. I’d rather when he first plays again he’s 100% and raring to go.

18 minutes ago, Paco said:

Wedderburn was warming up with the rest on Saturday pre-game, so must be close. On the pre-Hearts interview, Smith reckoned it was "a week too early" for Buchanan so expect him back soon. Flangan has some kind of back spasm thing going on, cannae mind what he said about him coming back.

Edited by renton

I liked the look of Gillespie and Matthews in the midfield. Both very energetic and trying to go in behind from deep when they could. Gillespie with a great run at 1-0 when he tried to cut back to Valentine.

Having a player sitting in front of the defence gives the two the licence to roam and i thought they did it well. I would be very disappointed  if Smith sticks Matthews on the right when Wedderburn is back.  

40 minutes ago, He's Got No Hair said:

I liked the look of Gillespie and Matthews in the midfield. Both very energetic and trying to go in behind from deep when they could. Gillespie with a great run at 1-0 when he tried to cut back to Valentine.

Having a player sitting in front of the defence gives the two the licence to roam and i thought they did it well. I would be very disappointed  if Smith sticks Matthews on the right when Wedderburn is back.  

Thought Gillespie looked different class, right enough. I do think the squad is better suited to a three man central midfield, rather than a midfield pair in a 4-4-2, which you can see him teeing up with Flanagan on one side and Milne on the other....

Warmed a bit to Nisbet, showed good intelligence for the goal - incisive run and showed good awareness to continue the run after the lay off. In terms of his work rate Duggan is like some kind of heavyweight Graham Weir  -PanzerWeir.

This squad is surely set up for 3-5-2? Flanagan and Milne are the only fit players who could be considered regular wingers, and both aren’t exactly fast or tricky. They’ll look to come inside at all times leading to a pretty pedestrian and slow attack.

On the other hand we have several options through the middle of the park and our strengths are in defence, where we have three centre backs in Bene, Davidson and McKay who all deserve to play. In addition Jamie Watson is pretty much the only option at right back and looks to be better at the attacking side of the game, why not play to his strengths? Plus Wedderburn, Gillespie, Matthew, Milne and I think Flanagan (?) all looking to play in the middle of the park.

Would be nice to see it tried at least.

15 minutes ago, renton said:

Warmed a bit to Nisbet, showed good intelligence for the goal - incisive run and showed good awareness to continue the run after the lay off. In terms of his work rate Duggan is like some kind of heavyweight Graham Weir  -PanzerWeir.

After his penalty, Matthews should change his name to Ross von Braun.

Milne isn't a winger. He may be able to play there but his game is much better centrally. Valentine and Watson as attacking wing backs would certainly be interesting and could work very well. Hopefully Barry does change from his boring 442 and try something that better fits the players we have available.

Buchanan had an op on his nose, Barry said on the prematch Hearts interview that it was only a week or 2 out. Not sure about Wedderburn & Flanagan. Vaughan was an op on a grown injury (im sure) , and even though its a massive loss, I really hope we don’t rush him back. I’d rather when he first plays again he’s 100% and raring to go.

He got a licking so that prob the damage on his beak