The New Raith Rovers Thread

Just now, Brashy's Boots said:
11 minutes ago, Against The Machine said:
Zanatta hasn't been an improvement on Kieran Mitchell in this system. Gullan looks isolated again, and the press has disappeared. 

Yep Zanatta a passenger. Doesn't work hard enough. Never did.

I think he's very effective, but only in a fairly narrow scope. Stick him out wide where he can isolate his opponent, and give him support with either a striker who's peeling off or an overlapping fullback. 

He's never going to hit any kind of heights as a second striker, especially not one who you want doing a lot of work without the ball. 

3 minutes ago, Against The Machine said:

I think he's very effective, but only in a fairly narrow scope. Stick him out wide where he can isolate his opponent, and give him support with either a striker who's peeling off or an overlapping fullback. 

He's never going to hit any kind of heights as a second striker, especially not one who you want doing a lot of work without the ball. 

This, Zanatta has been tried repeatedly throughout his career at CF, and he simply don’t click there. He’s much happier swashbuckling wide and cutting in.

4 minutes ago, SirJimmyofNic said:

Did this feckin referee get his qualifications on Ebay

I think all three refs for the first Cup games are new to us. Looking him up, he’s a part-time League Two and One ref, who doesn’t get regular assignments.

If I had a choice of Mitchell or Zanatta going out on loan , Dario would be off he looks no different from the from Jan last season sums it up for me he decides to shoot when at least 4 rovers attackers all unmarked and in a better position in the Stirling box total greed 

Edited by basher brash

1 minute ago, grumswall said:

Is that us shite again already? Relegation, doomed etc

Nah, it was frustrating. Plenty of possession, some decent openings but very shot shy though.

Stanton didn't have a good game at all, we weren't able to build through the middle at all well.

Zanatta was worse than pish.

We are shy a centre forward, a centre back and a replacement winger.

43 minutes ago, TxRover said:

I think all three refs for the first Cup games are new to us. Looking him up, he’s a part-time League Two and One ref, who doesn’t get regular assignments.

Wilson has been a grade one ref for a few years and we've had him several times before.

He's generally been every bit as abject as he was today. An angry wee man with a whistle is never a good thing.

Reflections:

Rovers - too much slow sideways passing, rather lethargic looking in the heat.

Albion - better than expected, played high tempo, missed a real sitter in the first half, dished out some rough stuff with the ref's blessing

Officials - the ref was out of his depth, some hiliraious decisions including allowing their goal; booked Connolly for complaing about their fouling: Railway linesman - chickened out of nearly every decision.

A wake up call.

Edited by Raith_Raver

As much as it was a completely different outcome, I still have the same opinion today as I had leaving the game on Wednesday night, and I don’t think either game tells us anything we didn't already know. 

Mainly, that starting the season with Jamie Gullan as our forward option, Christophe Berra as our only central defender and a bench of teenagers absolutely won’t do. 

The most frustrating part about today’s result, is that we’re almost certainly out, and now won’t get the financial bump to help bring in reinforcements. 

19 minutes ago, McGuigan1978 said:

As much as it was a completely different outcome, I still have the same opinion today as I had leaving the game on Wednesday night, and I don’t think either game tells us anything we didn't already know. 

Mainly, that starting the season with Jamie Gullan as our forward option, Christophe Berra as our only central defender and a bench of teenagers absolutely won’t do. 

The most frustrating part about today’s result, is that we’re almost certainly out, and now won’t get the financial bump to help bring in reinforcements. 

I suppose the small crumb of comfort is that the Aberdeen game is televised, giving us a wee uplift. 

But yes, this is a big opportunity missed. 

Edited by Michael W

Persisted too long with Zanatta, either hiding out wide or being wasteful in more direct positions, none worse than him being dispossessed in the box with 3, maybe 4 team mates to square to. I know he's young and inexperienced but I'd start Mitchell before Zanatta. Stanton not as effective as last game and Berra ponderous at times. Must do better.