The New Raith Rovers Thread

Impressive interview, as everyone says, you should watch it...but here's some notes and time stamps...

Spoiler

Raith TV Interview with John Sim, Andrew Barrowman and Ruaridh Kilgour, 5 May 2023

- 0:00 -

Discussing the group and how the contacts came about:

JS - Confirms Ruaridh was the "grandson" he mistakenly referenced, actually a son. Goes on the mention Kelty's development of Community Spaces

JS - Steven MacDonald wanted recruitment, which resulted in Allan Halliday joining, Allan had the Kelty contacts.

JS - Colin Smart was out until his wife relented in January.

JS - Ruaridh was involved all across football, especially during COVID (ticket scheme), and brings many contacts while having been involved with the club for years.

JS - Barrowman is well known for his Pars time, but was the Joma Rep for Raith for several years, so was well known.

JS - Dean Mckenzie has the passion, but is also very shy (Raith TV later accepted the challenge of getting an interview).

JS - Investemtn had been stagnent for a while, the plastic pitch only happened becaise Sinton took the charge to get it done.

JS - Time > Money. His absence handicapped the Board, which hasn't properly functioned for at least a year.

JS - The 2005 Supporters Document is basically much of what Dean and Andrew are going to be doing. it's about:

Sustainability

Part of the Community

Best Team

Football Pathway

Community Club link to the Football Club

JS - Referenced a "squad in transition"

- 9:05 -

Andrew Barrowman

AB - Day to day CEO. Growth and Development remit, lots of change over time (stages), passion and energy now. Understands both sides since he's been both a player and an administrator.

- 11:50 -

Ruaridh Kilgour

RK - Social Media, on a consultancy basis versus day to day. Runs one of the largest Social Media companies in U.K. and Brazil. Lifetime links to RRFC with involvement.

- 14:30 -

Others in the group:

- Steven MacDonald, Chairperson - "Talk is cheap, we want to be judged on our actions and outcomes"

AB - Talk is easy, but action is where its at. Everything will be staged, but the fans can expect a "remarkable difference" when they get back to Starks Park next year.

- Colin Smart, Vice-Chair

RK - Everyone in the group has expeience and is putting money and time in.

- Dean Mckenzie, General Manager

AB - Most driven individual I've ever met. The Kelty to Raith move is more of 10 years with an individual load there and a new challenge here. At Kelty, the drive did it more than money. "Knowing what good looks like".

JS - Story on Dean, he was out at 7AM lining the pitch at Starks Park years ago, before being really involved, just to save the club £500.

- Allan Halliday, Football Operations Manager

AB - Allan's involvement is as a football nut, a "get things done guy". Will be the contrat with SPFL and SFA, God help him.

- 21:35 -

What's happening:

JS - Plans have been here for a long time, but nothing has happened. Those plans have been reviewed, updated, prioritized and scheduled.

RK - 1) New hospitality will be placed in the Main Stand, downstairs, through the back, in the old physio area, 80 or so capacity.

RK - 2) New Players Areas A) Home Changing Rooms redone B) Away Changing Room moves to old Boardroom C) New physio area in old Away Changing Room area.

AB - 3) Significant changes to Pratt Street facade to improve apperance/attractiveness.

AB - 4) Fan experience/hopitality investment (not a huge amount of money, staged improvements)

AB - The basic Player facing area changes will happen immediately, due to the season break.

JS - The Raith Suite lacks disabled access. It would require 3 elevators if you include the new hospitality for full access. This new areacan allow the Community Foundation to generate club revenue in excess of match hospitality in the new area. Paul Wilson is consulting on revenue ideas.

RK - There is discussion of reloacting the Club Offices to the hill area, replacing the offices with a Sports Bar/Club Bar and then a possible food kiosk below that serving "street food" (Colin Smart's idea).  This would have the benefit of the school kids heading to Morrison's for lunch as a potential initial customer base, with a 7 days a week plan going forward.

JS - Reassured the "missing top soil" is stored and will be replaced in a new rememberance garden. Noted Bob Farmer suggested a chippie in the North Car Park years ago.

- 31:20 -

Big Picture:

AB - The focus is more on infrastructure than playing budget, investing. Creating an investment is a long term proposition/project.

RK - We are looking at improving the match day experience. Need to engage the South Stand "Ultras" and create an atmosphere at home ("shouting, singing and swearing"). Engage the younger fans and schools.

- 35:40 -

Season Tickets and News:

RK - U-12 Season tickets will be free.

AB - More exciting news soon.

RK - New website, ours is hamstrung by being produced on a shoestring budget. Improve social media (TikTok, better YouTibe channel, etc.).

- 37:50 -

Playing Budget:

AB - This whole situation has been hard on players and the manager. We started a few weeks ago offering contracts, there are live offers out, there has been external recruitment, and there will be transition/changes.

JS - Competative/Healthy playing budget, absolutely as I understand it talking to other directors. 21-22 was a 50% increase on the 20-21 player budget as a one off to reach promotion. JMcG understood this was a one off, and at the end of the season elected to move on. Andrew is scouting and player backgrounds, Allan is contracts.

- 40:40 -

John Potter:

AB - John Potter is coming in a Technical Director with a remit in recruitment, medcial/sports science and data analysis. Final decision lies with the first team manager, but we need a structure in place beyond the managers (often short) time spans.

- 41:55 -

Player Pathway:

JS - A player pathway to replace Fife Elite and the Reserve League teams will be necessary. Potter will work with the Community Foundation on that.

JS - We need a competative Ladies Team back, part of Andrew's role. 

AB - Local kids playing football with a pathway from the Community Club to the team is needed, but not a "B" team, but some transfer between the groups. Will not occur next season, it's too soon. Again, thats part of Potter's job.

- 44:50 -

Commercial Lead:

RK - Greg McEwan joining as Commercial Manager. He left Hibs, in that role, to start his own consultancy, and is working with Raith in addition to that. He's been in place for the last 3-4 months.

JS - He is looking at the National market in addition to the Local market. Mentioned John Reed pushed U-12 for free for years without success. It can help involve Primary Schools and Youth Clubs in the "catchment area" and might need to include plans for a couple of transferable adult season tickets few to herd groups of kids.

- 47:55 -

What is success in the short term...23-24:

AB - That the Club fans are proud of us.

RK - Deliver on promises.

JS - Sort the football side, support yhe manager, get the right players in, support the backroom staff.

AB - Culture throughout the club, "What does good look like".

- 51:25 -

Parting message:

AB - Come with us, we need everyone.

RK - Apprehension with change is understandable. "Belonging", leaving no one behind. If you have ideas, reach out to us.

AB - "Tonight might be the last game of the season, but it's also the first game of next season." 

Edited by TxRover

43 minutes ago, grumswall said:

Wasn't there a legal reason we couldn't use that now? 

Lord Lyon pursued a number of club badge designs in the 1990's and 2010's after complaints. Rampant lions and shields were the mian focus, so I wouldnt be surprised if we did't change after 1998 because of that.

Well that’s Connolly away surely. Quite comical looking at the entirety of our squad vs the team and bench today. 

As long as improvements are made for season 23/24 I can handle this absolute circus that is our first team these last few matches.

2 minutes ago, RAITHROVERS84 said:

Well that’s Connolly away surely. Quite comical looking at the entirety of our squad vs the team and bench today. 

As long as improvements are made for season 23/24 I can handle this absolute circus that is our first team these last few matches.

Based on?

9 minutes ago, RAITHROVERS84 said:

Well why’s he not playing tonight?

Carrying a knock maybe ?

he has stated he would like to remain here next season, hopefully the club can put a package together that will be acceptable to him

Edited by keyser_soze

I hope we are not paying some of these absent players if they are not injured. The team could really do with them. Akio has to be the worse striker I've ever seen. Does nothing. 

Ross is as well being on holiday hasn't touched the ball and Ngwenya can go back to Aberdeen. It's a pity the Aberdeen train can't stop and uplift him.

No fool like an old fool but I'm excited (again) about the future. 

I think even John Sim is excited. There's clearly been a lot of work done already the fact the builders are turning up on Monday with a very tight time line to do so much work. The image of the main stand looks good but I will miss the old white and blue paint job but not the millions of advertisement boards. 

I think everything they want to do will take a long time but they're off to a flying start and I don't think they'll have too much trouble getting the buy in from supporters. They will have to work hard on getting new/lapsed supporters through the turnstiles but aim for the stars and you might just hit the ceiling. 

6 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

I want the new owners to sort the fucking time it takes to get a cup of tea from the pie stall. 

The sports bar and street food cafe should help, hopefully they would be accessible for those inside the stadium, I know we've made mistakes in the past but surely ..................... 

Just now, Raith Against The Machine said:

Well, that's certainly the last we'll be seeing of Jamie MacDonald. A fine goalkeeper, the best since McGurn. He'll be very tough to replace. 

?

1 minute ago, Raith Against The Machine said:

Doing big exaggerated waves goodbye at full time, after waiting for the rest of the team to go down the tunnel. 

I'm not a body language expert, but I'd suggest that looked more like the actions of a man retiring, not just leaving his club. 

Wouldn't surprise me. He's at a point where injuries are creeping in quite regularly and he's been picking up a bit of punditry work I think. He's been an excellent servant to the club, and a thoroughly decent guy. 

2 minutes ago, Raith Against The Machine said:

Doing big exaggerated waves goodbye at full time, after waiting for the rest of the team to go down the tunnel. 

I'm not a body language expert, but I'd suggest that looked more like the actions of a man retiring, not just leaving his club. 

Shame if that's the case, but hes maybe had one shoulder injury too much

Replacing Cove, one of the worst away days in the country, with a derby next season is lovely to see btw.  Pretty horrendous records against them both away but there's at least some patter rather than Cove's solitary fan on here. 

Edited by Broken Algorithms