The New Raith Rovers Thread

48 minutes ago, Arthur Reid McDermott said:

Anyone else underwhelmed with the calibre of the opposition for our pre season friendlies this year?

I see the Pars have German 2nd division opposition for one of their matches.  A much sterner test for them than Linlithgow Rose I bet.

On the other hand, they'll have to deal with a load of insufferable Celtic fans packing out the away end. 

5 minutes ago, Raith69 said:

Will be interesting to see who lines up on Saturday as outwith those that are injured, Hamilton (awaiting international clearance) Dabrowski (extended break) will not feature.

Dabrowski has been in pre season? And had the same length of break as us so how is he getting an extended break, and Hamilton could play since it’s a friendly can he not? 

We probably won’t see Jack Hamilton because we’re waiting on international clearance and that’s going to take us a little bit of time.

"So that’s disappointing for them (Raith fans) but they will see him soon.

Big Kevin (former Hibernian goalkeeper Kevin Dabrowski) is not with us at the moment. He’ll be back in next week.

We’ve also given him a bit more time off as he was training right until the end of the premier league season
Edited by Raith69

1 hour ago, Arthur Reid McDermott said:

Anyone else underwhelmed with the calibre of the opposition for our pre season friendlies this year?

I see the Pars have German 2nd division opposition for one of their matches.  A much sterner test for them than Linlithgow Rose I bet.

I remember back in the early Eighties seeing the likes of John Toshak appearing for Swansea in a pre season friendly.  What happened to that thinking?

We played Swansea, Chelsea and Lincoln City (that was away from home) in 1980

IMG_20230621_133152_681.jpg

8 minutes ago, Raith69 said:

We probably won’t see Jack Hamilton because we’re waiting on international clearance and that’s going to take us a little bit of time.

"So that’s disappointing for them (Raith fans) but they will see him soon.

Big Kevin (former Hibernian goalkeeper Kevin Dabrowski) is not with us at the moment. He’ll be back in next week.

Aw ok, is it in the courier or ffp? 

57 minutes ago, MICMAC said:

We played Swansea, Chelsea and Lincoln City (that was away from home) in 1980

IMG_20230621_133152_681.jpg

The marquee autographs on the Chelsea programme would be those of their manager and, even more so, his assistant at the time.

Edited by Specky Ginger

32 minutes ago, Kooz92 said:

The FFP? Was there any mention of the progress of the takeover at all? They're always up to date with their info.

🤣 yeah we all know the FFP is always well behind in their info, but the info I posted from them was about the squad ahead of Saturdays game.

2 hours ago, Broken Algorithms said:

Couldn't give a flying f**k about friendlies tbqh. 

2 hours ago, Broken Algorithms said:

Couldn't give a flying f**k about friendlies tbqh. 

You need to get your Algorithms fixed Pal.  Pre season friendlies are an important part of getting the team ready for the season.  If they weren't important, why do all teams take part in them?

I could give you the name of a good mathematician who also happens to be a Pilot, he might be able to help fix you?

2 hours ago, Arthur Reid McDermott said:

I remember back in the early Eighties seeing the likes of John Toshak appearing for Swansea in a pre season friendly.  What happened to that thinking?

There’s also the matter of all the friendlies being “Away” due to the desire to get as much time as possible to do work at SP. I don’t pretend to know how the friendlies are configured with regard to admission, but I would expect that the away team would prefer either a very short trip to minimize costs, or a decent amount to cover expenses, even though the game is useful for team development and selection.

Add to that a new management team at SP plus a lot of excitement, and they likely don’t want to risk having the good feelings evaporate by having the Rovers get their brains bashed in by a moderate to high level opponent. So instead, you find four, or at least three this time, teams happy to host the Rovers and who will provide the playing time for us and be close enough for fans to enjoy a wee trip. I suspect the Montrose game on a Tuesday was a “meh, we NEED a fourth game and they’re available and not too far”. Linlithgow is the grass pitch of the group, East Fife is a nice throwback match versus a local “competitor”, and Kelty, well…