The New Raith Rovers Thread

2 hours ago, SanStarko said:

Back when Nicholl was in charge we had a pre-season trip to play Bangor in Northern Ireland.  No idea what the score was or what the game was like, although I do remember a load of people missing half the game from falling into a drunken stupor during the second half.  Great trip though, with swan derby on the pedal boats.

Why were we playing a Welsh side in the north of Ireland?

Great seeing the club getting out in to the community early doors whilst season tickets are on sale and visiting the schools. 

This is for me the key area to target - the kids are the next generation supporters/volunteers that we need to continue to grow. 

This is not to put a dampener on it, but more a reach out message to the club as there will be people associated with the club who read the forums. 

Do this correctly, include all the schools - push to reach out to them all. Last time it was done it seemed the schools in the more “well off” areas got the visit and tour with the Challenge Cup when we one it season before last - low and behold the first visit of the tour is Torbain again who got the visit with the cup also at the end of last season. 

My boys go to Sinclairtown - got loads of Rovers supporters there and they’ve had nothing. These are the things that the kids remember, time spent to engage with them. 

Include them all, please!

I know we've been spoilt at the start of preseason with 6 good signings however I'm bored that we haven't signed anyone for several days and rumours that I've heard haven't materialised. Other teams are now starting to sign players.

Anyone got any rumours to keep this going until we sign someone. Interesting to hear some names that may be getting considered. 

5 hours ago, Arthur Reid McDermott said:

Thats your opinion.  Fair enough man

Not just one man's opinion, actually tends to be the norm more years than not in my experience.

7 minutes ago, raith1974 said:

Anyone got any rumours to keep this going until we sign someone. Interesting to hear some names that may be getting considered.

I can tell you who it won't be, Jordan Forster recently of Kelty now at Tranent and quite possibly about to be punted due to stalking his ex.

1 hour ago, RaithRyan said:

Great seeing the club getting out in to the community early doors whilst season tickets are on sale and visiting the schools. 

This is for me the key area to target - the kids are the next generation supporters/volunteers that we need to continue to grow. 

This is not to put a dampener on it, but more a reach out message to the club as there will be people associated with the club who read the forums. 

Do this correctly, include all the schools - push to reach out to them all. Last time it was done it seemed the schools in the more “well off” areas got the visit and tour with the Challenge Cup when we one it season before last - low and behold the first visit of the tour is Torbain again who got the visit with the cup also at the end of last season. 

My boys go to Sinclairtown - got loads of Rovers supporters there and they’ve had nothing. These are the things that the kids remember, time spent to engage with them. 

Include them all, please!

On the face of it, that seems fair comment, although I'm not sure the Torbain catchment area would be regarded as more affluent than Loughborough Road or Lady Nairn Avenue.

However, maybe the bigger issue is whether every school is willing to accommodate the Rovers in this. Some head teachers, and I'm not including Sinclairtown in this as I don't know in their case, seem to be anti-football and anti-competitive sports, so this is likely to provide an obstacle to the club.

2 hours ago, raith1974 said:

I know we've been spoilt at the start of preseason with 6 good signings however I'm bored that we haven't signed anyone for several days and rumours that I've heard haven't materialised. Other teams are now starting to sign players.

Maybe they haven’t materialised because as folk have said the targets could be either on holiday or contracts if down south haven’t ended yet. Or they’ve just turned down the offers is another possibility 

Edited by RRFC_Liam

2 minutes ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

I'm a bit confused about why we need international clearance for Hamilton when we signed him from Livingston. 🤷‍♂️

Hartlepool will have held the clearance up until the end of this month from the loan. I'm more surprised that it's an issue for a non competitive game. 

11 minutes ago, Arthur Reid McDermott said:

OK SD.  I'm kinda new to this Forum stuff and I thought it was worth a discussion.  Maybe I should be less controversial in future? 

Don’t worry about it mate, it’s a forum and we all have different opinions, certainly wasn’t controversial and life would be boring if we all thought the same

30 minutes ago, Arthur Reid McDermott said:

OK SD.  I'm kinda new to this Forum stuff and I thought it was worth a discussion.  Maybe I should be less controversial in future? 

Forum basics:

1) Opinions are like arseholes, everyone has one and most stink.

2) Generally, some people will both agree and disagree with those opinions.

3) People will comment accordingly.

4) Nearly everyone thinks they, and they alone, are right in  any given manner.

5) A think skin is and excellent accessory for proper participation and full enjoyment.

6) It’s generally not worth holding grudges, just tell them why they’re wrong…repeatedly.