The New Raith Rovers Thread

14 minutes ago, CALDERON said:

All this chat around the club haven't learned is very unfair,  considering we are still in pre season.

A lot of business has already been done, including a genuine championship standard striker and an experienced centre back.  The final pieces aren't in place yet, but it's a real shame to see some starting to trot out lines like this at this stage.

If you head over to our page it's exactly the same folk with exactly the same nonsense barfed out every summer. It's very tiresome. It's the 6th of July FFS.

17 minutes ago, CALDERON said:

All this chat around the club haven't learned is very unfair,  considering we are still in pre season.

A lot of business has already been done, including a genuine championship standard striker and an experienced centre back.  The final pieces aren't in place yet, but it's a real shame to see some starting to trot out lines like this at this stage.

Who’s the experienced centre back? Watson? He’s an experienced right back that we are looking to convert into a centre back. Probably alongside Liam Dick who’s an experienced left back that we are having to convert into a centre back. Hardly great work with the season now a week away. (I’ll be happy to come back and laugh at this if we sign someone before next weekend)

11 minutes ago, Jilted John said:

Who’s the experienced centre back? Watson? He’s an experienced right back that we are looking to convert into a centre back. Probably alongside Liam Dick who’s an experienced left back that we are having to convert into a centre back. Hardly great work with the season now a week away. (I’ll be happy to come back and laugh at this if we sign someone before next weekend)

Pretty sure Watson has been playing CB for a good amount of time prior to us. It’s definitely not as if he’s never played there before and we are suddenly shoehorning him into that position. 

Just now, Hank Scorpio said:

Pretty sure Watson has been playing CB for a good amount of time prior to us. It’s definitely not as if he’s never played there before and we are suddenly shoehorning him into that position. 

I think he’s played CB since he signed with County (could be wrong) and with the injury record he had/has he was never going to be a RB for the rest of Career that’s probably why he’s been converted into a CB already 

4 minutes ago, Jilted John said:

I think Watson has latterly played centre half for Ross County in the Premier League so he's already been converted.

It's not ideal but we are still comfortably better off than this time last season given that Lang was still injured (assuming Watson doesn't suddenly decide to announce a Berra style retirement after the league cup group is done).

1 hour ago, CALDERON said:

We all have different opinions, on the whole everything is very positive at the club and looking forward to the season starting just mindful we had this conversation last year and it wasn’t really addressed that’s all.

1 hour ago, Been going too long said:

We all have different opinions, on the whole everything is very positive at the club and looking forward to the season starting just mindful we had this conversation last year and it wasn’t really addressed that’s all.

We got linked to three centre halves after Corr signed: one signed, and the other two (Stanger, Norman jr) both ended up elsewhere. It might be we've spoken to them and they've decided to take up other offers. It is might be that we've never really been interested. 

Sometimes, deals can pick up traction quickly.  Lets just see how the next few weeks go.

Having a wee bit of confidence in Corr and Masson wouldn't go amiss here, ok another experienced CB coming in would be great but it might not happen before the league starts, worse case scenario we dont get through the the cup stage, it wouldn't be the first time and certainly wont be the last, I've got every confidence we will though

Theres a big big difference in "friendly" match performances compared to the real thing, so some of you need to stop panicking

4 hours ago, renton said:

The league Cup, potentially could get us some decent early season income. I get that it's nor just a case of snapping your fingers and conjuring up a CB, and I do take the point that it's not exactly a flush market with them.

Still though, it's frustrating to have to try and get out of the group with the same glaring defects as we had last summer.

The League Cup income doesn’t arrive until you’re knocked out is what I remember hearing last year…at least any prize money.

9 minutes ago, SirJimmyofNic said:

Having a wee bit of confidence in Corr and Masson wouldn't go amiss here, ok another experienced CB coming in would be great but it might not happen before the league starts, worse case scenario we dont get through the the cup stage, it wouldn't be the first time and certainly wont be the last, I've got every confidence we will though

Theres a big big difference in "friendly" match performances compared to the real thing, so some of you need to stop panicking

Agreed.

Corr has looked perfect capable of starting beside Watson. Masson has filled in quite acceptably for us before. Dick showed last year he can play, and start, either at LB or CB at this level.

If we get a LB in, we have two established starters, one youth challenging for a start weekly, and another one near that point. That’s four CB if we get a LB starter in…plus Brown is capable and experienced. Sorry, but at this level and budget, that’s decent. If we sign anyone at CB right now, it’ll be a kid.

Edited by TxRover

3 hours ago, da_no_1 said:

If you head over to our page it's exactly the same folk with exactly the same nonsense barfed out every summer. It's very tiresome. It's the 6th of July FFS.

Our thread on here isn’t that bad, I think folk are rightly thinking the squad is tight, and with the season starting in just over a week it would be good to see a few more bodies.  Social media and the .net forum are different (as you say tiresome) stories.

Don’t understand Rovers fans being uptight re signings, think it’s fairly well recognised elsewhere that they have done a fair amount of good business early on. 

15 minutes ago, TxRover said:

Agreed.

Corr has looked perfect capable of starting beside Watson. Masson has filled in quite acceptably for us before. Dick showed last year he can play, and start, either at LB or CB at this level.

If we get a LB in, we have two established starters, one youth challenging for a start weekly, and another one near that point. That’s four CB if we get a LB starter in…plus Brown is capable and experienced. Sorry, but at this level and budget, that’s decent. If we sign anyone at CB right now, it’ll be a kid.

For a start I'm not sure another CH signed will be a kid secondly stop suggesting we should play players out of position. Browns best position by far is midfield not right back, Dick is a better LB than CH. If we are to compete at the right end of the table we need another established CH signed. 

7 minutes ago, raith1974 said:

For a start I'm not sure another CH signed will be a kid secondly stop suggesting we should play players out of position. Browns best position by far is midfield not right back, Dick is a better LB than CH. If we are to compete at the right end of the table we need another established CH signed. 

Brown, I’m suggesting he can play CB or RB as emergency cover, much as he did last year. In the same way Masson can cover RB, McGill can cover FB, and Connolly in the past has played LB.

Dick is a better CB than LB, in my opinion…your opinion diverges.

We aren’t going to sign another established CB seems pretty certain, as the decks are mostly clear across the leagues.

Most agree Watson needs a speedy partner, and an established player is less likely to fill that need.

16 minutes ago, TxRover said:

Brown, I’m suggesting he can play CB or RB as emergency cover, much as he did last year. In the same way Masson can cover RB, McGill can cover FB, and Connolly in the past has played LB.

Dick is a better CB than LB, in my opinion…your opinion diverges.

We aren’t going to sign another established CB seems pretty certain, as the decks are mostly clear across the leagues.

Most agree Watson needs a speedy partner, and an established player is less likely to fill that need.

Players ‘being able to do a turn’ in a position unnatural to them is all fine & well but folk are allowed to perhaps hope for better than that.

Where expectations need to be limited a bit is the timelines folk have in their heads. It’s been discussed to death but Premiership/English sides are going to want a pre season to look at their own squads & individual players before deciding who they’re happy shipping out on loan. The window runs the full length of the summer. Assume the board are aware of that & planning accordingly.

I’d like another centre half brought in. Just because Dick can play there, or Brown, or whoever else - it’s not the situation a playoff chasing side wants to find themselves in if it’s weakening them elsewhere on the pitch.

Edited by CrossgatesCynic
Typo