The New Raith Rovers Thread

5 minutes ago, CrossgatesCynic said:

Players ‘being able to do a turn’ in a position unnatural to them is all fine & well but folk are allowed to perhaps hope for better than that.

Where expectations need to be limited a bit is the timelines folk have in their heads. It’s been discussed to death but Premiership/English sides are going to want a pre season to look at their own squads & individual players before deciding who they’re happy shipping out on loan. The window runs the full length of the summer. Assume the board are aware of that & planning accordingly.

I’d like another centre half brought in. Just because Dick can play there, or Brown, or whoever else - it’s not the situation a playoff chasing side wants to find themselves in if it’s weakening them elsewhere on the pitch.

Yeah as much as Brown could do a turn at centre half, he’s absolutely pivotal to what we do in the middle of the park. How he was kicking about part time football at Peterhead is a complete head scratcher. 

25 minutes ago, parsboi said:

Don’t understand Rovers fans being uptight re signings, think it’s fairly well recognised elsewhere that they have done a fair amount of good business early on. 

No one’s denying we’ve done good bits of business in terms of the attack and Watson but we could all see we need another CH/FB who is pretty quick if we want to play the high line and quite a few teams in this league with a quick attack like yourselves and a few others will expose it but I’m willing to wait if it’s the right player and not somebody who ain’t ready/never played first team football 

20 minutes ago, TxRover said:

We aren’t going to sign another established CB seems pretty certain, as the decks are mostly clear across the leagues.

Be pretty mental if we don’t but I think we will, do you want the same as last season someone who is either not ready or not played hardly any first team football? We can all see Murray wants a high line so we need an established CH who is quick and none of the current back 4 is that including Patterson who’s a trialist 

2 minutes ago, renton said:

If we try and go through the season with Watson, Corr and Masson as CBs and no full back cover - we won't finish any higher than last season.

Very much doubt it Murray, Barrowman and I think potter has said either in Raith tv or news paper article we’re looking at another 2 defenders im assuming a CH and Someone who can play either full back who will be first team players.

anyone who thinks we won’t get an “established” CH is mental as I previously stated we can’t risk going into this season with another untested/not ready CH incase Watson gets injured and it’s last season all over again 

Can some of you post your seat numbers in the South Stand so that I can make sure i'm not sitting anywhere near those with thoroughly pished in trousers?

Plenty time, a loan market to consider when the bigger/better clubs are back in training and decide what they're doing. I'm surprised we've not been looking at (or maybe we have) Daniel O'Reilly and Matthew Shiels from Hamilton, both of whom left in the summer and yet to find new clubs.

48 minutes ago, renton said:

If we try and go through the season with Watson, Corr and Masson as CBs and no full back cover - we won't finish any higher than last season.

I agree….which is why we will likely begin the season with a LB signed to allow Dick flexibility (TM Raith Twitter).

41 minutes ago, RRFC_Liam said:

Very much doubt it Murray, Barrowman and I think potter has said either in Raith tv or news paper article we’re looking at another 2 defenders im assuming a CH and Someone who can play either full back who will be first team players.

anyone who thinks we won’t get an “established” CH is mental as I previously stated we can’t risk going into this season with another untested/not ready CH incase Watson gets injured and it’s last season all over again 

We been saying that for several weeks. We’ve also been saying it’s down to players being willing to sign with us, and as it stands I’m not sure any of the few remaining “established CH”s (could you name them, please…I’m not sure there are that many) would feel confident they would be starters here, which may explain the reluctance to join us.

1 hour ago, RRFC_Liam said:

Be pretty mental if we don’t but I think we will, do you want the same as last season someone who is either not ready or not played hardly any first team football? We can all see Murray wants a high line so we need an established CH who is quick and none of the current back 4 is that including Patterson who’s a trialist 

O’Riordan seemed to work out quite well for us last season, but I’m not suggesting that at all. As I asked above, name the “established CH who is quick” that you want us to sign. There simply isn’t one kicking about , knocking on doors right now or I suspect IM would have them in house. A few weeks from now, when higher level teams start offering players on loan, and when some experienced players see the writing on the wall they they won’t start, we might see action.

8 minutes ago, Beachbum said:

Sounds like Masson/Watson/Dick/McGill (or Trialist B) across the back, and Stanton deep. Sub-optimal. Again, name the defender that’s sitting waiting for us to call them though.

18 minutes ago, CountryBumpkin said:

Can some of you post your seat numbers in the South Stand so that I can make sure i'm not sitting anywhere near those with thoroughly pished in trousers?

Plenty time, a loan market to consider when the bigger/better clubs are back in training and decide what they're doing. I'm surprised we've not been looking at (or maybe we have) Daniel O'Reilly and Matthew Shiels from Hamilton, both of whom left in the summer and yet to find new clubs.

I suspect they are viewed as less attractive than Brody Paterson by the club right now…but a good shout for LB starter/cover, with O’Reilly having some time at CB as well.

2 hours ago, parsboi said:

Our thread on here isn’t that bad, I think folk are rightly thinking the squad is tight, and with the season starting in just over a week it would be good to see a few more bodies.  Social media and the .net forum are different (as you say tiresome) stories.

Don’t understand Rovers fans being uptight re signings, think it’s fairly well recognised elsewhere that they have done a fair amount of good business early on. 

Aye you're right - I did actually mean .nut

57 minutes ago, TxRover said:

I agree….which is why we will likely begin the season with a LB signed to allow Dick flexibility (TM Raith Twitter).

We been saying that for several weeks. We’ve also been saying it’s down to players being willing to sign with us, and as it stands I’m not sure any of the few remaining “established CH”s (could you name them, please…I’m not sure there are that many) would feel confident they would be starters here, which may explain the reluctance to join us.

O’Riordan seemed to work out quite well for us last season, but I’m not suggesting that at all. As I asked above, name the “established CH who is quick” that you want us to sign. There simply isn’t one kicking about , knocking on doors right now or I suspect IM would have them in house. A few weeks from now, when higher level teams start offering players on loan, and when some experienced players see the writing on the wall they they won’t start, we might see action.

Because we can't name several CHs that fit the bill doesn't mean they don't exist. Potter will no doubt be speaking to agents about availability of players north and south of the border.

You listen to Murray’s interview re Ross Mathews and he says with the time he has been out and the full pre season he has done they half expected that he could have a reaction and pick up further injuries - why the hell was he then allowed to play the full 90 minutes against Montrose 🤷🏻‍♂️

7 minutes ago, raith1974 said:

Because we can't name several CHs that fit the bill doesn't mean they don't exist. Potter will no doubt be speaking to agents about availability of players north and south of the border.

I agree, but the people yelling most vociferously surely have a person in mind, right?

18 minutes ago, Raith69 said:

I wonder if the management have looked at and considered the possibility of signing Lewis Strapp for the left-back position since he is a free agent with plenty of championship experience?

Theres every possibility they have and hes not wanted to come or the hes wanted too much dosh, hence the reason Patterson's being tried out,

9 minutes ago, SirJimmyofNic said:

Theres every possibility they have and hes not wanted to come or the hes wanted too much dosh, hence the reason Patterson's being tried out,

I agree that may be the case or not,  just curious.

Believe that a deal had been agreed with Lewis Stevenson at Hibs until they changed their mind and offered him a new deal. 

27 minutes ago, TxRover said:

I agree, but the people yelling most vociferously surely have a person in mind, right?

Most people here only watch the Rovers every week and aren't out scouting potential signings. There are plenty defenders available out there more than good enough for our level.  people just need to be patient. The recruitment so far this summer has been very good in my opinion but no team in the country will have their entire squad as they would like at this point. 

5 minutes ago, Jilted John said:

Most of us could name a thousand centre backs. What’s your point?

OK, name 5 CH/CB who fit your experienced and quick criteria and are available…

Edited by TxRover