The New Raith Rovers Thread

1 hour ago, Jilted John said:

That’s a silly argument to make. There will be literally hundreds of players available in that position. Us as fans don’t know individual contract situations but we pay someone specifically to manage that side of things. 

Hundred, aye, OK…and we’ve judged none as an improvement on our current players or they’ve declined to sign…

37 minutes ago, Been going too long said:

Have enough defenders signed like they have with the forwards/ midfielders. He hasn’t learned because we are in the same situation at the moment as last season, where we signed 2 cb’s day before cove away. It just frustrates me that’s all. Fine if your a club happy treading water, not great if you want to do well

He hasn’t learned, eh? Isn’t that more of Potter’s task now?

20 minutes ago, Hadji said:

Theres not really an argument to be had on this.

Ross Millen and Liam Dick were part of a bomb scare back line last season.

Dylan Corr hasn't played at this level at all yet, Adam Massons barley kicked a ball for us.

Defensive midfielders Scott Brown and Ross Matthews are both out injured and miss the game on Saturday.

its 100% a worry that this is how we are going into our 1st competitive game of the season.

The bomb scare that caused the club to jettison a reserve LB and two starting CB’s…just saying, exactly what people want…

I'd say we are a month ahead of where we were last season. Although 2 are youngsters we have 3 dedicated CBs. As well as this we have signed a striker who actually has a record of scoring goals and we have cover in a number of positions. 

Just to add to this we have a fit Vaughan with a full pre season behind him. 

Now I appreciate the concern regarding injuries and being light at the back, but everyone of us would have bitten your hand off for this squad last August. 

18 minutes ago, pub car king said:

I'd say we are a month ahead of where we were last season. Although 2 are youngsters we have 3 dedicated CBs. As well as this we have signed a striker who actually has a record of scoring goals and we have cover in a number of positions. 

Just to add to this we have a fit Vaughan with a full pre season behind him. 

Now I appreciate the concern regarding injuries and being light at the back, but everyone of us would have bitten your hand off for this squad last August. 

There is some truth in that bud about the squad but just frustrating that we have over recruited in one area and have obvious deficiencies in another, I hope the young boys prove me wrong on Saturday but for me the first competitive game of the season is Saturday regardless who we play not in 3 weeks in the league. 

Edited by Been going too long

1 minute ago, Been going too long said:

And you don’t think Murray gets an input or has final say ? 

Of course he does, but his role would be to identify needs and requirements. If he’s told Potter he needs a CB with 4 years or more experience and proven performance at at least the Scottish League One level, whose fault is it if we can’t find one? All IM’s? You keep blaming IM without acknowledging we now have a recruitment team helping out. 

Just now, TxRover said:

Of course he does, but his role would be to identify needs and requirements. If he’s told Potter he needs a CB with 4 years or more experience and proven performance at at least the Scottish League One level, whose fault is it if we can’t find one? All IM’s? You keep blaming IM without acknowledging we now have a recruitment team helping out. 

I do blame them as well, maybe not in my posts but they certainly do need to sort it. Last season we lost 3 centre backs ( one was retirement) and recruited poorly ( and panic signed ) to replace them and up top ( least said the better) I hoped we wouldn’t be here again 12 months on ( after murray saying we would be ready for league cup and had learned) but hey ho we will see what happens Saturday, I haven’t been to pre season games this year but corr made a few errors in the highlights I watched and will take time to step up to the demands, Masson would benefit from a league 1 loan for a few months so Saturday I would go Watson and dick and McGill left back ( if millen fit) 

It’s just as well we have signed guys like Mullin and Smith because Connolly and Ross are injured with the latter almost permanently injured.

Would I have sacrificed one of those signings for another defender? Possibly. But having a potential CB pairing of Dick and Watson is perfectly fine going into the Viaplay games. Corr/Masson can play against Annan and Albion Rovers. A month to find a CB in time for Firhill. 

35 minutes ago, Beastie Russell said:

If it wasn’t Dunfermline on Saturday no one would give a shit about our back 4.

Exactly this. Last year our first 3 cup matches were Peterhead, Stirling and Dumbarton. It is just unfortunate the way the group has turned out this season. 

Aye, I think Saturday is the worst possible fixture for us to begin with. 

I don’t rate the defence on paper one little bit, and that was before I realised we’d be doing without Scott Brown for the group stages. If we don’t have Ross Matthews either, then the defensive side of things looks a little scary. 

I absolutely agree that losing this one and having a poor group stage doesn’t really mean too much for the league campaign, but if they do end up on the end of a poor result to Dunfermline, which would almost certainly eliminate us from the tournament after one game, on the back of a pretty turgid last few months of last season, you can imagine the reaction. 

However, that doesn’t mean anyone hasn’t learned lessons from last season. In fact, Ian Murray’s quotes in the interview from the other day tells us he knows exactly what’s required, and is making moves to fill the gaps. 

1 hour ago, McGuigan1978 said:

Ian Murray’s quotes in the interview from the other day tells us he knows exactly what’s required, and is making moves to fill the gaps. 

Exactly this. However he said much the same last season and people were still freaking out. In fact it felt like some posters were a stones throw away from basically saying Murray is just sitting on his arse doing heehaw even though he had explained, umpteen times, the various loopholes and difficulties he had faced trying to sign players. Some folk can't see that though, they assume signing good players is as easy as clicking your fingers or that players will love nothing more than to play for RRFC so what's the issue. I think some people weren't prepared for things slowing down after the recurrent signing news early into pre-season, it was always going to happen. In some sense take it as a positive, at least we know we aren't spending outwith our means otherwise you'd imagine bringing in other players would be a piece of cake if we were flashing £ signs everywhere. 

1 hour ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

Exactly this. Last year our first 3 cup matches were Peterhead, Stirling and Dumbarton. It is just unfortunate the way the group has turned out this season. 

You've got the derby game at home first game of the new season. The football world is in mourning for you right enough.........

2 minutes ago, Raithie said:

Exactly this. However he said much the same last season and people were still freaking out. In fact it felt like some posters were a stones throw away from basically saying Murray is just sitting on his arse doing heehaw even though he had explained, umpteen times, the various loopholes and difficulties he had faced trying to sign players. Some folk can't see that though, they assume signing good players is as easy as clicking your fingers or that players will love nothing more than to play for RRFC so what's the issue. I think some people weren't prepared for things slowing down after the recurrent signing news early into pre-season, it was always going to happen. In some sense take it as a positive, at least we know we aren't spending outwith our means otherwise you'd imagine bringing in other players would be a piece of cake if we were flashing £ signs everywhere. 

Pretty much this. As a club trying to sign players, we're just one of many equal offers on their table and the free agent market rarely goes quickly. We can't rush players to sign, we probably can't offer anything that other clubs aren't already offering (maybe fudge donuts). The power is with the player to make the decision, when they want to. 

Also, if the player is under contract elsewhere, like Patterson and Murray for example, their club will have to negotiate a release with the player, something they're not going to do quickly and they'll look to do it as cheap as possible for them, which means the player loses out. 

10 hours ago, TxRover said:

The bomb scare that caused the club to jettison a reserve LB and two starting CB’s…just saying, exactly what people want…

I said the defense was a bomb scare collectively.  Liam Dick was not the reason the greg young  Ryan Nolan and Tam Lang were let go, and you know that.

The defense last season wasn't good enough, thats an unarguable fact.

As it stands im not sure were in a better state now than we were at the end of last season, could even be a worse place due to Brown and Matthews injuries. 

Strong smell of piss in here, what the feck is this thread is gonna be like if we lose on Saturday, the panic merchants will have us as relegation candidates 

Christ other teams are scratching around for midfielders / Strikers / Goalkeepers and dare I say CH's, our biggest problem is not having Brown or Mathews  

4 minutes ago, SirJimmyofNic said:

Strong smell of piss in here, what the feck is this thread is gonna be like if we lose on Saturday, the panic merchants will have us as relegation candidates.

It's been the same the last couple of seasons. We drew 2-2 with Queens Park in pre season two seasons back and a few folk chucked the toys out the pram. Last season you could understand it a bit more given that Easton was the only real signing who was seen as an attractive name. This time of year always brings out the more reactionary side of some folk - it's in people's nature. 

Let's see what Murray and Potter can figure out over the next few weeks. It's not ideal for Saturday or the league cup in general, but over the course of the season we should be fine. 

One CB and we’re at least fully functional. 

I predict McGill will have an excellent season. He’s bulked up and to me looks a player plus versatile. 

The more immediate issue for me is both Brown and Matthews being out.