The New Raith Rovers Thread

Dick most definetly suffered from not being MacDonald as it made our team lobsided Tumilty was bombing down the right side however progress was a bit more sedate on the left causing frustration. 

I think he is what he is which is a solid experienced defender at this level. 

Kieran Macdonald was a better LB for us than Liam Dick is. 

The respective career trajectories do not however reflect this. Macdonald's stock has sunk, being released by Edinbirgh City and their fans being quite pleased he's gone. Made me wonder if I overrate some of our own players more than I think I do, although perhaps it was just a case of him being the right player at the right time, playing within the right system. The ability is definitely there and otherwise the decline is a bit of a puzzle. Meanwhile, whilst by no means a world-beater, Liam Dick is playing every week whilst we're second in the Championship. 

IIRC the only reason Kieran didn't sign a new contract with us is because he wasn't prepared to play full time football, sure we were in the hybrid system back then. Potentially his main job has a much bigger bearing in his life than football does which is a shame as he was a bloody good football player. I suspect lack of coaching ability dropping down a couple of grades may have a bearing on his performance also.

Just watching the townies on the telly, they have erected some sort of structure in the corner of the away end and the main stand. 

Got me thinking with our new conservatory baron on the scene is their potential to do something in the 2 corners of the railway stand as pictured. 

Granted the more pressing issue is the stand itself, however its dead space that could be put to use for a minimal outlay. 

Screenshot_20231110_211521_Chrome.jpg

2 minutes ago, pub car king said:

Just watching the townies on the telly, they have erected some sort of structure in the corner of the away end and the main stand. 

Got me thinking with our new conservatory baron on the scene is their potential to do something in the 2 corners of the railway stand as pictured. 

Granted the more pressing issue is the stand itself, however its dead space that could be put to use for a minimal outlay. 

Screenshot_20231110_211521_Chrome.jpg

Where have you been these last 6 or 7 years? Its a gym for their players

On 09/11/2023 at 12:11, HoBNob said:

Out of your starting eleven, if they were fit, he's surely one of the two weakest? It's not Hamilton as your striker, it's not any combination of attacking midfielders, nor the deeper ones you have, I wouldn't say its Watson or Murray, and Dabrowski seems to have done well so it's not him. 

Which leaves Millen and Dick, you could still have a good team but there's always going to be a position you want to improve in, and from the outside the biggest improvements look like they could be made at full back. 

Exactly what my point was.. out of our strongest starting 11 he is probably one of two weakest and therefore our weakest outfield player in that starting 11.

Nothing personal on Millen, average championship level player,  out of the other 9 players outfield players in our strongest fit 11 who would you all put Millen ahead of ? Liam Dick is a marginally better full back.

3 hours ago, Michael W said:

Kieran Macdonald was a better LB for us, while playing at a lower level, than Liam Dick is. 

That’s a more accurate take. We’ve not seen any sign that KMac would be a better player in the Championship than Dick. Dick is certainly a far superior defender.

8 hours ago, TxRover said:

That’s a more accurate take. We’ve not seen any sign that KMac would be a better player in the Championship than Dick. Dick is certainly a far superior defender.

He did play the 27 game season in the championship, where he was an extremely important attacking element of arguably the most successful implementation of McGlynnball.

Whether the balance of his attributes means he aas overall better than Dick? Not sure, Dick to me still feels like someone who will morph into a CB over time.

There is precedent for players like MacDonald though. Craig Wilson went from ever present, long serving right back in a team that had just finished 2nd in the 2nd tier to barely making the subs bench at Forfar to out of the game altogether in 14 months.  Allan Walker was a solid championship midfielder who hardly made an impression at Brechin and then Berwick before chucking the game before he was 30.

Say what you like about McGlynn, but he's always beeb able to get a tune out of players when no one else could.

Edited by renton

10 hours ago, TxRover said:

I still think he was a better player during his season in the Championship. Although, perhaps this is somewhat coloured by a preference for attacking full backs. 

Mon now lads, this is starting to get a bit annoying. Checked the score with 2 minutes to go and you’re down to 10 and getting beat, I’m sitting debating which amusing gifs to post on here and you go and ruin everything.  Has to be said it’s some effort fae you lot and certainly keeping it interesting. 

My goodness, you can't help but grudgingly admire Raith Rovers this season. We do our best to put the pressure on with our result last night, today you were down to ten men and 2-1 down with a minute left, and you still won. We keep on winning, and so do you  

b*****ds