The New Raith Rovers Thread

8 minutes ago, buchan30 said:

Just seen the results of tonights league one matches and i see Mcglynn is still undefeated in the league at falkirk after 14 games. Is there some statto that knows what his longest unbeaten streak was with us? 

Some nerd will be along with actual facts in a minute, but wasn't it 15 unbeaten when we went to Firhill in the fog? 

2 minutes ago, Raith Against The Machine said:

Some nerd will be along with actual facts in a minute, but wasn't it 15 unbeaten when we went to Firhill in the fog? 

Have a cigar.

Latest Raith Results, Fixtures & Betting Odds | Soccer Base

41 minutes ago, Zen Archer (Raconteur) said:

43 minutes ago, Raith Against The Machine said:

Going by that, looks like you are correct. 

Judging by the talk and injuries from the Pars v Lichties match, I think we signed O’Reilly just in time. However, there’s going to be a lot of teams looking for defenders in the January window, and he’d be eligible to play for another team…do we consider extending him if he looks decent this weekend, just to keep our options good prevent him from rocking up elsewhere?

15 hours ago, TxRover said:

Could someone overseas outwith the U.S. please try to watch the Hamilton Inside Matchday video again…and someone in the UK. I tried to rewatch it but got a “This video has content from SME, who has blocked it in your country on copyright grounds” now…very frustrating (happens via both RRFC site link and the RaithTV Video Lounge link).

Edit: A little research suggests this is Sony Music Entertainment block because they own some music that might be audible on the video…and if that’s it, the block should be worldwide.

Doesn't work in the UK either. 

Re pyro. I like it, think it looks class and for some inexplicable reason adds to the atmosphere and matchday experience for me assuming it's not being chucked about. I get it's illegal, I get it's dangerous if in the hands of wee fannies who are being irresponsible, I get throwing them about is idiotic behaviour but unless the police wade in and start lifting folk I'm at a loss as to what will be done. Police and stewards are forever just standing there watching it. I doubt clubs are going to go through the hassle of sifting through CCTV in the hope they can pick out the people at the next game to ban them. Unless you're strip searching everyone before going into a game folk will find ways to conceal them and get them in. As long as they are easily available folk will continue to buy them and take them to games. It's almost became a cultural thing now 'X club saw X fans use them, there's no ramifications for them, we want to do the same' and it filters through to other clubs. I believe Ayr had some sniffer dog at their games and sniffer dog up at Peterhead for their cup game but fans still found a way to get in with smoke bombs. It's easy for folk to say 'it's simple, don't bring them' but it's primarily young lads who clearly don't give a toss. If the police wanted to stamp their authority on Friday then they had the perfect opportunity with the folk setting them off down the front of the stand and easy to spot however they'd need to do likewise against the erse cheeks with their fireworks and flares that are set off in bigger numbers and you can guarantee that won't happen. Get some designated personnel trained in the safe use and management of them to set them off at specific times so's as not to delay games kicking off within a safe area of the ground and with knowledge of the safe disposal of them afterwards. Other countries have managed this from what I'm led to believe.

15 minutes ago, Raithie said:

Re pyro. I like it, think it looks class and for some inexplicable reason adds to the atmosphere and matchday experience for me assuming it's not being chucked about. I get it's illegal, I get it's dangerous if in the hands of wee fannies who are being irresponsible, I get throwing them about is idiotic behaviour but unless the police wade in and start lifting folk I'm at a loss as to what will be done. Police and stewards are forever just standing there watching it. I doubt clubs are going to go through the hassle of sifting through CCTV in the hope they can pick out the people at the next game to ban them. Unless you're strip searching everyone before going into a game folk will find ways to conceal them and get them in. As long as they are easily available folk will continue to buy them and take them to games. It's almost became a cultural thing now 'X club saw X fans use them, there's no ramifications for them, we want to do the same' and it filters through to other clubs. I believe Ayr had some sniffer dog at their games and sniffer dog up at Peterhead for their cup game but fans still found a way to get in with smoke bombs. It's easy for folk to say 'it's simple, don't bring them' but it's primarily young lads who clearly don't give a toss. If the police wanted to stamp their authority on Friday then they had the perfect opportunity with the folk setting them off down the front of the stand and easy to spot however they'd need to do likewise against the erse cheeks with their fireworks and flares that are set off in bigger numbers and you can guarantee that won't happen. Get some designated personnel trained in the safe use and management of them to set them off at specific times so's as not to delay games kicking off within a safe area of the ground and with knowledge of the safe disposal of them afterwards. Other countries have managed this from what I'm led to believe.

How would you feel if the club were fined or otherwise sanctioned because fans used pyro? There needs to be an element of self policing. Other fans need to tell these guys not to bring these devices and they’re not welcome or acceptable. The club can’t change the law, it is illegal, so accommodating it just isn’t an option.

Edited by Enigma

Until such times that it's not illegal to bring it into a football ground, what else do you expect the club to say on the matter? It can't be knowingly accommodated as it stands. 

What I will say in the club's defence here, is that there is also an apparent unwillingness to enforce the prohibition on bringing it into the ground, leading to these things happening. That rests with the police / stewards. No-one wants to see everyone searched at the gate, naturally, but the current approach is quite clearly not working. 

1 hour ago, Michael W said:

Until such times that it's not illegal to bring it into a football ground, what else do you expect the club to say on the matter? It can't be knowingly accommodated as it stands. 

What I will say in the club's defence here, is that there is also an apparent unwillingness to enforce the prohibition on bringing it into the ground, leading to these things happening. That rests with the police / stewards. No-one wants to see everyone searched at the gate, naturally, but the current approach is quite clearly not working. 

Taken from inside EPL Club programme.

IMG20231129141248.jpg

Not a criticism of the club as we know everything has really been excellent off (and on) the field since the takeover, particularly the social media side of things.

However, if they really wanted to discourage people from bringing flares and pyro then displaying a picture of the blue flares front and centre of a post thanking the fans after the Dunfermline game probably wasn’t the best idea.

2 hours ago, Enigma said:

How would you feel if the club were fined or otherwise sanctioned because fans used pyro? 

The use of pyro isn't a new thing and zero club has faced any consequences by the SPFL thus far (key word). Considering Dundee and Rangers escaped any form of punishment for the shenanigans at Dens Park tells it's own story. There's more chance of us being hit financially for the recent pitch invasions at Hampden and East End, something the club haven't publicly brought up. 

Edited by Raithie

2 hours ago, Enigma said:

How would you feel if the club were fined or otherwise sanctioned because fans used pyro? There needs to be an element of self policing. Other fans need to tell these guys not to bring these devices and they’re not welcome or acceptable. The club can’t change the law, it is illegal, so accommodating it just isn’t an option.

Fans know it's wrong, the ones who chucked it and it ended up landing on your own fans went out away from the central, busy part of the stand to light it up the very back row before launching it. 

I'm sure they were aiming for the pitch but it's a fair distance and it ended up landing in another group. 

There must've been a degree of apprehension in the group from there actions, otherwise why bother going out the way of everyone to light it? 

1 minute ago, Raithie said:

The use of pyro isn't a new thing and zero club has faced any consequences by the SPFL thus far (key word). Considering Dundee and Rangers escaped any form of punishment for the shenanigans at Dens Park tells it's own story. 

I'm not sure if the governing bodies would do much, however is there a possibility of clubs charging other clubs for damages caused? I can't remember what club but I'm sure someone had a hole burned in there plastic pitch through a flare chucked on the park. 

3 hours ago, Enigma said:

Who is going to fine or sanction the club?

No strict liability for clubs

I've no problem with the pyro personally, but the issue I have is the impact on experience for others.  Not everyone is that arsed by atmosphere, some people just want to go along and watch the game with their family/mates -  and that's 2 consecutive derbies where flares have been thrown into the "general" support, and hit people.  That's just shit, and to be honest, even before that there have been occasions where bits of pies, plastic juice bottles etc have been thrown off other fans.  Granted, its not a horrific life threatening experience, but its not particularly pleasant either for people that just want to watch the football - and some people may feel intimidated by it.  And whilst I'm sure nobody has been killed by pyro at football games, at Ibrox last season for example, it wasn't nice to que for a pie in a crowded and cramped concourse when someone lets one of these things off.

It's pretty clear that the police don't give a shit though - It's happened directly in front of them, and they don't care.  If they wanted to sort it or do something about it, they would.  Which does beg the question why we need police presence in the South Stand for certain games?  I get the impact outside the ground etc - but if things that are technically illegal at a ground are happing directly in front of them, and they aren't arsed, is there much point of them being there?  And there is only so much that a steward will be able/capable of doing - so I do feel some sympathy for the club.  

Bit of a conundrum for the club though - they had an area of the ground dedicated for younger fans to make an atmosphere, and for whatever reason, it was a pretty resounding failure.  Taking legalities etc out of the equation, you'd want an environment where people can enjoy the game as they see fit - If that involves letting of flares etc, that's totally fine with me in an "ultras" section or similar - but that ship appears to have sailed for this season.

35 minutes ago, CALDERON said:

I've no problem with the pyro personally, but the issue I have is the impact on experience for others.  Not everyone is that arsed by atmosphere, some people just want to go along and watch the game with their family/mates -  and that's 2 consecutive derbies where flares have been thrown into the "general" support, and hit people.  That's just shit, and to be honest, even before that there have been occasions where bits of pies, plastic juice bottles etc have been thrown off other fans.  Granted, its not a horrific life threatening experience, but its not particularly pleasant either for people that just want to watch the football - and some people may feel intimidated by it.  And whilst I'm sure nobody has been killed by pyro at football games, at Ibrox last season for example, it wasn't nice to que for a pie in a crowded and cramped concourse when someone lets one of these things off.

It's pretty clear that the police don't give a shit though - It's happened directly in front of them, and they don't care.  If they wanted to sort it or do something about it, they would.  Which does beg the question why we need police presence in the South Stand for certain games?  I get the impact outside the ground etc - but if things that are technically illegal at a ground are happing directly in front of them, and they aren't arsed, is there much point of them being there?  And there is only so much that a steward will be able/capable of doing - so I do feel some sympathy for the club.  

Bit of a conundrum for the club though - they had an area of the ground dedicated for younger fans to make an atmosphere, and for whatever reason, it was a pretty resounding failure.  Taking legalities etc out of the equation, you'd want an environment where people can enjoy the game as they see fit - If that involves letting of flares etc, that's totally fine with me in an "ultras" section or similar - but that ship appears to have sailed for this season.

Not surprising when the community club kids/children were allocated a part of the RS which really isn,t the place for them.

Maybe I should have said “wasn,t the place for them”

No sure it needs a lot of explaining though,young team/singing section that were in the RS intially were in the main teenagers,boisterous,bad language etc etc

The community club kids were in the much younger age bracket,under 10