The New Raith Rovers Thread

Keith was on the pitch on Tuesday for warm-ups also. Didn't look like he was struggling as he took part in a lot of ball work. Great to see him back out there and also that the team are not rushing him back so he gets plenty of time to recover fully.

Just now, RR #1 said:

As much as I like both players I'm not a fan of Byrne and Brown in the same midfield.  

It doesn't work and we look unbalanced 

After the subs came on, the tactic seemed to be more like mashing the buttons on your controller playing Fifa, than any real attempt to get back into the game.

A real hangover of a performance.

I wouldn't have been so bothered about us losing a game in isolation, if we hadn't chucked daft points away against Arbroath and Ayr and if Millen hadn't got himself sent off.

Right now, what really gives me the fear is the non-zero possibility of us having to face Airdrie in the play-offs...

8 minutes ago, Kuma Power said:

I wouldn't have been so bothered about us losing a game in isolation, if we hadn't chucked daft points away against Arbroath and Ayr and if Millen hadn't got himself sent off.

Right now, what really gives me the fear is the non-zero possibility of us having to face Airdrie in the play-offs...

I think this is spot on. We’ve won 9 away games in a row before today and were 16 unbeaten and a defeat away to the side 4th in the league can clearly happen to anyone, Airdrie are a decent side. I shouldn’t be feeling as frustrated and pessimistic about our chances for the rest of the season as I am after that.

But it’s when added to the ludicrous way we dropped points against Ayr and Arbroath and the fact we have made a mess of what looked like some kind fixtures post Tannadice to actually kick on and take advantage of that day. It feels like a defeat has definitely been coming, I’m not surprised by the result or performance today.

Stanton is a huge miss but we need to find a way to deal with it. A reset and rethink required. If he’s going to be out for any length of time I’d be asking Ross County if there is any chance Kyle Turner is available…

Typical that Queens Park picked up their first win in months right before we play them. However, we need a win and good performance to bounce back from this and restore the confidence around the place that this is just a blip and we aren’t about to settle into a sustained period of poor form. 

I couldn't make it today but did listen to Raith TV and it was frustrating to listen to as it sounded like a carbon copy of the last game at that ground.

On the positive we are still top and United's loss looks slightly worse than ours.

5 minutes ago, TxRover said:

OK, Mullin and the yellow and red.

Yellow was probably for dissent, counts to his season total, which was zero, so hey ho.

Red, a little more difficult. Reports from Airdrie and BBC both say it was a straight red, not a second yellow, and you could see the ref moving him away from the Airdrie players and then him mixing it back up. Couldn't see what happened, but it would have to be either "Violent Conduct" or "Offensive, insulting or abusive language and/or actions". There's also the question of a possible "Excessive Misconduct Referral". We should know this soon enough, but for now:

Assured that Mullin is out for Queen's Park.

Possible Mullin is out for Livingstone.

It is also possible for further sanction to occur, depending on the ref's report.

Millen got sent off not Mullin

Crap, had to redo this as I heard them say Mullin off with a red, but it was Millen...

Reports from Airdrie and BBC both say it was a straight red, not a second yellow, and you could see the ref moving him away from the Airdrie players and then him mixing it back up. Couldn't see what happened, but it would have to be either "Violent Conduct" or "Offensive, insulting or abusive language and/or actions". There's also the question of a possible "Excessive Misconduct Referral". We should know this soon enough, but for now:

Assured that Millen is out for Queen's Park.

Possible Millen is out for Livingstone. (If it was Violent Conduct he's out)

It is also possible for further sanction to occur, depending on the ref's report.

Edited by TxRover

We need another forward with height and able to hold up a ball when Hamilton isn't playing. 

Smith and Vaughan upfront is like watching two midgets running around like heidless chickens.

That loss is on Murray today in my books. Hasn't learnt anything from our previous 2 games and was found out again today. 

The two in midfield were never going to cut it. Byrne was uncharacteristically p*sh today. 

I don't understand when bringing on 4 subs and we didn't even change shape? Surely that was the queue to go 3 at the back?

I feel that loss has been coming. Scraping almost every game isn't going to last forever. It's really worrying how easily we can be dominated in games. 

4 minutes ago, A_Rover_In_The_Burgh said:

PS well played Millen, your fan club will all love you the night 😂🙄

As much as millen was partly at fault for the goal and stupidly getting sent off that's a bit harsh. The guys barely put a foot wrong all season, a season which see's us remarkably top of the league at this stage. 

Millen is a problem here, since we don't have a simple replacement. After his suspension, if you wanted to send him a message, who would you play at RB to sit him and send him a message? Masson's played there, but if Murrey's injured and O'Reilly isn't signed, unless Watson's ready, it's Masson, Corr and Brown to chose from at CB...or Dick and Hannah or McGill at LB. I guess McGill is the obvious player to replace Millen, but...

Have Raith struggled more against the ‘better footballing’ teams in the league this season? That’s obviously the third time they’ve really struggled against Airdrie and despite us playing quite differently in all three games, the general principles have been the same. I know you’ve had a couple of great comebacks against Queen’s Park too but it seems like Raith have found them an oddly tricky side too. 

6 minutes ago, Mr November said:

Have Raith struggled more against the ‘better footballing’ teams in the league this season? That’s obviously the third time they’ve really struggled against Airdrie and despite us playing quite differently in all three games, the general principles have been the same. I know you’ve had a couple of great comebacks against Queen’s Park too but it seems like Raith have found them an oddly tricky side too. 

I would say it's that Airdrie's style is much like ours, and you've been up for it.