The New Raith Rovers Thread

Will Watson and Murray be ready and can they be relied upon. I got ripped when I commented on Watson’s fitness when he signed. I was proven right on that. Stanton’s injury was the beginning of our poor performances, he was at the forefront of all of our comebacks and performances early on no one can deny that. I haven’t seen enough of Rudden to prove he’s any better than Hammer, I’m prepared to be proven wrong. Give me that at least. Sorry for being a grump. 

What we do get with Rudden is some much needed height in both boxes. Sad to see Jaimie go and I think his best position is what we used to call an old fashioned inside left.

5 minutes ago, mealsonwheels said:

Ur trolling your fellow supporters 🥴

It’s been a shite day and I didn’t mean it. Just hope we haven’t made a big mistake relying on the lack of bodies at the back. But who cares what I say, you should all know that by now🤣🤣

Can't argue with Gullan leaving. I'll be sorry to see him go in the sense that he genuinely seemed to love playing for us and always gave his all. It's a pity he won't get a chance to say goodbye tomorrow. 

Having said that, the club is progressing and some players who have done us a turn over the years are going to be left behind. That's just the way it is. Rudden is younger than Gullan yet has proven himself at this level. 

The deal is a no brainer for us. 

7 minutes ago, Stardog_champion said:

I always thought Jamie Gullan was a brilliant player for us, and I’m absolutely gutted he’s away. Was he a free transfer, or did we get a fee for him? 

A nominal fee.

9 minutes ago, Stardog_champion said:

I always thought Jamie Gullan was a brilliant player for us, and I’m absolutely gutted he’s away. Was he a free transfer, or did we get a fee for him? 

Undisclosed fee.

At the end of the day, Gullan never recreated the form from his second spell. I think he was so good then for the reasons he's struggled since: That McGlynn was able (due to resources vs others at league 1 level) to play a fairly loose attacking three where Gullan's hybrid style could actually flourish.

Outside of that though, as noted before he's like a better version of Iain Williamson. Not quite a centre forward, not quite a winger. Good enough to play football at this level, but never able to make himself indespensible in any position.

That and his injury issues. Never able to get more than 4 games in a row without pulling up. On the other hand, no doubting his commitment or the quality of his contributions. Murray might have forged him into a unconventional type of Number 9 but for spending most of the season injured.

Rudden should give us an extra bit of quality. More of a goal every 2.5-3 games whereas Gullan was every 4.5-5 games. More of a conventional forward who adds height and strength.

Edited by renton

Shame to see Gullan go but bringing in Rudden as a replacement will be a good bit of business I feel.

Been mentioned already but Gullan was essentially the ‘second choice’ in all forward areas. Rudden should at least offer a different dynamic if Hamilton isn’t working or picks up an injury.

There’s also the possibility of the chaos factor of Murray playing them both from the off. I don’t even want to consider the implications for how that affects the tactics/starting lineup though.

Tx, can you draw up a formation that includes a front three of Vaughan in the middle, benefiting from the knockdowns from Hamilton and Rudden? Ideally with Masson and Corr delivering pin point accurate long balls from the back?

1 hour ago, Jilted John said:

Tx, can you draw up a formation that includes a front three of Vaughan in the middle, benefiting from the knockdowns from Hamilton and Rudden? Ideally with Masson and Corr delivering pin point accurate long balls from the back?

Yes, but you do it so much more eloquently.

2-3-5, anyone?

Edited by TxRover

19 minutes ago, OhnononoGeordieMunro said:

Defending is for farmers and trout sniffers.

Raith to win the league via swashbuckling football.

Oh go in then, f**k it what's the worst that can happen ?

Up at the crieff hydro for a wedding and bumped into jamie Gullan. Wished him well on his move, really nice lad, gutted to be going, but that's football.